Thursday, April 18, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Learning Progression

Learning Progression 6 years 8 months ago #73

Made it to Lake Andrea yesterday. Wind forecast from Kenosha Airport didn't show any morning rain on Wed. or Thursday (winds 9-14 w/15-20 gusts) but morning tv radar showed rain moving thru the area ending late morning so I wasn't sure what to expect. Got there just b4 10 w/light sprinkles and overcast w/ very light breeze, but clearer looking skies to the south. By 10:15 no rain and skies started to lighten. I got Starboard Go ready as well as 165 figuring to use one or both of them w/7.3 (first time) Breeze started picking up and by the time 7.3 was ready I had a good stiff breeze so I went with the 165. I had no plans to use the straps since the top of my left foot is very tender to the touch after last weeks foot vs. mast confrontation. I just wanted to work on getting on and off plain with no straps like Mike suggested earlier. Wind was enough to hook in most of the time but not always strong enough to maintain. I had a good dozen or so close encounters with feeling the board starting to release with good speed, but not enough acceleration to get over the hump. Felt so close but just out of reach, very frustrating! I kept focus on keeping my front foot close to the mast and back foot in front of the back straps, didn't want to sink the tail or pop any wheelies! I tried to maintain Gregs foot position in the first pic. from post #30 hoping to drive the board up on plain when I felt it was starting to release. I also switched boards for an hour to work on tack and gybes to get better acquainted w/7.3. Ended day on 165 around 3. Disappointed with planning but it turned out to be a beautiful sunny day and more TOW!

I found this yesterday on line. It's the advertisement for my Starboard Go. My board has the side fin option that was offered at the time. I can see a lot of jealous faces out there! They claim it was doing front loops at Hookipa. Hard to imagine a 190L board doing front loops and what size sail? They also claim this is a good board to bring friends aboard and blast around in 20knot wind with them. I need to bring a lawn chair aboard to give rides to my friends. To funny!

image_2017-08-11.png

Learning Progression 6 years 8 months ago #74

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Im wondering which board will be faster of the two- the Go or the Nova? I kinda would bet on the Go, because the Nova felt very slow when I planed on it on Wolf the last time. Is there a specific reason for you to prefer the Nova for your planing attempts besides the lower volume /which could be a downside btw/ ?
Are you sailing tomorrow?

Learning Progression 6 years 8 months ago #75

I would say I choose the Nova for volume, but secondly because I was able to get it up on plane once and as you somewhat say, "armed with theoretical internet knowledge at the time" or maybe it's the blind squirrel scenario where "even a blind one finds a nut once in awhile! " So now armed with all the addition knowledge everyone has provided I think I have a better understanding of what It takes. Our last adventure on Wolf was not what I expected and maybe the windsurfing gods just wanted to humble me once again! But Thursday at Andrea I felt more in control of the rig and confident working the wind. I'm not sure what wind I really had but think it was just shy for me to get on plane (sometimes steady with lulls and a few gusts now and then) As far as trying to plane on the Go I didn't think I had enough sail to get it on plane but now with the 7.3 maybe it's possible with the right wind. But with that being said, if I need more wind to plane on the Go then wouldn't that be the wind I'm seeking for the Nova? I decided to switch to the Go on Thursday because I felt I was loosing the wind. I did run it across the lake a few times obtaining some decent speed but not much else. At this point planning is planning so I'll take any experience no matter what size the board, even if it's a 10' - 2x12" from my garage.

No sailing today. Morning chores with family commitments from noon to midnight and maybe beyond, but I'm really looking forward to sailing Hammond Beach sometime.

Learning Progression 6 years 8 months ago #76

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I would use the Starboard Go if I were you. Bic boards suck and besides the Go is marketed towards intermediates so I guess its the better performer overall. Don't let few numbers guide you, there is so much that they don't tell, like rail sharpness ; tail rocker , volume and width; planing flat, V and concaves or lack of them etc etc.
Meanwhile I thought about how to better explain what you are doing wrong and how you should do it instead and finally realized that there are two types of Wheelies-the back wheel one / the one that you are doing/ which is the wrong one for both the planing attempts and beach starts and there is the front wheel Wheelie-the one that you should be imagining doing:

IMG_2131.jpg

You are pulling the boom towards yourself depowering it and weighing down the tail in the process. The nose goes up, the board turns against the wind , stalls and is game over or you fall backwards or both. The right action is to PUSH down on the boom to unweigh your legs- mast foot pressure and you can move your feet back and in the starps.
The beach start looks more like a fence climbing then front wheel Wheelie though-you are pulling yourself up and trying to keep the rig upright instead of pulling it towards yourself.
The best clue that you are on the right path is when you start to get catapulted, then you'll only have to learn to stay low and open the sail when you get on the board by the beach start and moving back and staying low again by the planing attempt.

Learning Progression 6 years 8 months ago #77

Oh Ady you give to much credit to the skipper piloting the barge! My guess is that my suck factor is exponentially higher than the Bic. As far as the V and flatness, it has more contours and shape than the Go. Comparably the Go is basically flat with a slight curve from the front to back, more like a John Boat. If it had sides I could probably use it to hunt Crocs! Anyway from what I've read on other sites a lot of guys (and I'm guessing some on this site) have cut their teeth on the Bic 160,65 or 70.
Reviewing my last adventure to Andrea I tended to tack up wind over a period of time but I tried to be very conscious of not sinking the tail by standing well in front of the straps. Next time out I'll have to be more conscious of heading more downwind. I'll continue to bring both boards for the experience and hopefully my suck factor will go down as board performance goes up.

Learning Progression 6 years 8 months ago #78

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Guilty as charged! My first ever board was an 80s Tiga /owned by Bic I think and of course made of plastic/ and my second board-the one on which I learned to plane was a Bic Core 160D seen in this picture from 2011.
IMG_0157.jpg

I had it for only about an year and a half and got bored of it and replaced it with a way above my skills at the time RRD Firerace 112 L semi-slalom board which I'm happily blasting on in the next picture from 2012.

IMG_0143.jpg

My point is that you basically have 2 boards of the same category-beginners to intermediates- of which the Go is the better performer. In your place I would get rid of the Bic because 2 simmilar boards right now are a bit of a distraction IMO . The more you sail one board the better you get to know it and I think that focusing on the Go only /or the Bic if you really insist/ will be beneficial for your progress.
Btw, are you sailing tomorrow?

Learning Progression 6 years 8 months ago #79

I'll see how the weather looks in morning, looks like rain a good part of the day.

Learning Progression 6 years 7 months ago #80

I met up with Chris and also met Alan for the first time at Greenwood this past Wednesday. My first time on the bigger pond as well as managing some waves. Alan was having a good time carving up the waves w/his board and paddle (very impressive!) while Chris was cruising the lake and waves on his ? and 6.0. Chris gave me a few good suggestions on foot/weight position to keep the front of the board out of the water, and Alan gave me some real good advice re wind/water conditions and currents. Suggesting I start further up the beach. Great advice as the current was more than I would have guessed (more things to think about). I started with the Starboard Go and 7.3. Had no problem beach starting and fun making my way through the waves. I think one of my biggest mistake was not going out in the lake far enough. I was tacking back to soon as well as to slow and that put me in some awkward positions between swells & waves which led to some spills. I had flashbacks from a couple of my windsurfing lessons on Maui, trying to up-haul between waves (we was a Rockin!!). Alan and Chris were leaving so at that time I went to a 5.5 thinking it would be better up-hauling and easier to manage, but it wasn't a whole lot better. I think the last straw was when I went over backwards tacking on a wave and watched the wave drag my rig away. Sounds pretty funny now!!! Anyway I finally caught up to it and just grabbed the tip of the mast to real it in. At this point I figured the last thing I wanted to see was my rig floating away and with my luck the mast tip pogoing into the sand and snapping in 2. I thought about getting out the paddle but with what just happened I didn't want to be chasing my board anymore since I don't have a foot strap yet (time to order). But it was a great experience and I cant wait to get back out and try it again armed with some experience and knowledge! Greenwood is a real nice beach/setup. I rigged just off the gravel road area then moved my car to the street, very convenient!
As I was packing up, another windsurfer arrived. I'm terrible with names at times but think it was Dave.Told him a couple of guys just left, he asked who and I told him Chris and Alan, he said you guys are buds!. He asked how it went and I told him I had a rough outing with the tacks and up-hauling. He suggested when up-hauling to pull up rope and try to grab the mast asap with your hands and stay low (lower center of gravity, makes sense) stabilize yourself and mast then grab the boom get some power in the sail and get moving. I got a couple pics as he was launching.
In my travels around the area that day I came across a great windsurfing vehicle.

Greenwood1.jpg

Greenwood2.jpg

Greenwood3.jpg

SurfWoody.jpg

40Woody.jpg

IMG_9685.jpg

IMG_9689.jpg

IMG_9699.jpg

Drive.jpg

Pass.jpg

IMG_9693.jpg

Learning Progression 6 years 6 months ago #81

Hard to believe its been about 3.5 weeks since otw but you know how schedules/family go! I almost didn't make it to Wolf on Tuesday but boy am I glad I did. I took 2 boards and 5 sails determined to find the right combo to make this planning thing happen. Arrived 9:30 ish and there was good steady wind and gusting. The "first" and "last" time I ever got planning was at Wolf on Bic 165 w/6.0 (this is turning out to be my fav sail) but the weather was nowhere near Tuesdays conditions. I rigged 6.0 (ezzy) on 460 carbon powerflex mast, "Suggested Mast" (relative term) calls for 430 (max luff 455) which I don't have, but its on the list. When I get that 430 I'm not sure how it's is going to set up but Ill tell you this, that 6.0 really sets up nice and easy on that 460! Kind of like a nice pair of fitting jeans, "Tight and curvy in all the right places!"
Headed out across the lake and back with no real results, very frustrated! Headed back across and started to feel that catapult action coming on so I dropped my weight in the harness while working that back hand on the boom, started baring off wind a bit and bang! Now we're getting somewhere! Board releases and we're up and planning for a few hundred feet or so off and on. As luck would have it I'm planning and running out of real estate as I'm headed for the pontoon boat docked across the lake. Unhooked, let the sail out and tacked back the other direction. This on and off planning went on for a while as I was experimenting with tweaking the sail with my back hand and trying to understand how my weight on the boom was figuring in on controlling the planning.. I found that when I shifted my hips slightly forward it helped me bare down wind and gave me the speed I needed for the board to release. I had at least 6 catapults but they were minor pults in severity (no mast vs rib/feet issues). Maybe I'm just getting smarter to go with it instead of fighting it that seems to result in more catastrophic results.
As far as foot position the front foot was pretty much up against the mast base most of the time but I was able to get it back off the base a few times (once I was on a steady plane) with no intention of trying to get in the the strap. Back foot was up against the back strap all day. Once I get a little more comfortable in the harness while planning I'll start working on the straps. On some of the longer planes when I was starting to loose power I was able to tweak the back hand and/or shift my weight at times to regain and pickup speed again to maintain plane. Best run was from the pontoon boat all the way all the way back to the launch site "SWEET!"
Took a lunch break and met Ady at the waters edge as he was headed out as the wind had just died off about 20 minutes earlier. Ady was practicing his light wind fundamentals for his various tacks and jybes (is it jibe or jybe or does it matter?). Finished my lunch and did the same. I think it was about an hour later the wind started picking up again so it was game on! Most of the day was in and out of the sun with dark clouds hanging in the area. Well finally one them dark clouds decided to pay us a visit! My best explanation of the experience was that it was a typical squall. Maybe Ady can expound on it. Boy that little lake got kind of violent real fast! Took a couple of small vaults just trying to get powered up and then up-hauling with all the wind and gust was no picnic. Eventually I got under way and one of those times as I was on the further side of the lake I powered up and was being taken away! I dropped my weight in that harness and it was off to the races! At this time it was raining pretty hard and the wind had really whipped itself into a frenzy. I was on "Mr. Toads Wild Ride" and there was no getting off! Once I dropped my weight in the harness with all that wind, I was putting more pressure on the mast base with my foot and the faster I would go. It was like flooring a damn gas pedal! All I could do was hold on. I'm not sure what happened but I think my ass hit the water and well........ do you remember the ABC sports "agony of defeat" line as the ski jumper goes off the end of the ramp? You get the picture. Glad I had the helmet on cuz the BB in my coconut really got rattled! Took a minute or so to shake it off. Then a few minutes later the rain was gone and it was another beautiful day. I had one or two more runs and called it a day. Racked everything up and took some pics of Ady. I need to go back and re-read some of the previous comments from you guys in this thread to reference squaring up in the harness and getting into the straps. What a day, and thanks to everyone that contributed to my planning progression!!! It wasn't if I was going to plane, but how fast it was going to happen once I finished my tack. Oh one more thing...... any tips on getting off the runaway train when it happens?

IMG_9879A.jpg

Learning Progression 6 years 6 months ago #82

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Oh yeah, I saw your planing runs! You looked really good blasting and I thought that you might have got into the straps. Then I realized you are out of them,but there was just nothing else I could tell you besides a simple encouragement. You are there, ready and the only thing between you and planing in the footstraps is the fear. I’m in the same situation with my Spin Loop ambition, I know what I’m supposed to do, I play it in my mind over and over, but I just can’t find the courage to pull the trigger once on the water. I’ve done only one attempt so far this season and then I froze in fear so badly that I couldn’t even jump, just flipped over face first.
I guess we need to man up or something and tell ourselves to get really aggressive ARRRGH and go for it .
In your case the longer you wait to move in that front foot the harder it becomes with the increasing speed and the ride getting bumpier. Just a few seconds, that’s all you need. Bear away, push down on the boom, slide the back foot next to the back strap, put your weight momentarily over it and slide the front foot in the strap. Be quick about it and watch the mast foot while doing it-it helps me a lot psychologically .

The gusts around 3:30 must have been 30 mph or more ! The Calumet readings are usually less then the real wind over Wolf when it comes from S and I had the feeling that my board will flip over a few times. Lots of effort to keep it down under that 7.5 in so much wind.

Learning Progression 6 years 6 months ago #83

Funny you say we need to tell ourselves. I talk "at" myself all the time! What are you doing? Why aren't you planning! There's plenty of wind, get some! Think about what you're doing! (I say that one a lot) Stop dancing with the damn sail and power up! Tuesday I had a good "Cha Cha" going with the sail a few times but was able to "stay on board" ( must be a sailing term). Some of those tough days I had in the past with the wind ( Wolf once this year and Greenwood my last time out before Tuesday, Lake Andrea here and there, Maui lessons) paid off! Even bad experience w/TOW is key. If you never get out of the sand box you'll just be stuck in sand! I used to work with a guy who had a Greek saying ( could've been bs for all I know) but it sounded something like this (I'll apologize now to those of you with a Greek heritage).
"Arontay Es Erimoose" (phonetically). He claimed it meant, "We learn by our mistakes!" If that's the case I've learned one hell of a lot this year!
On Tuesday I wanted to bask in the enjoyment of getting on and off plane. Earlier this year before I got everyone's guidance I was hooked in, in the straps trying to get on plane. See that's what I mean, not the right approach at the time but gained experience and knowledge to use my next time out. So next session (wind permitting) I'm going to get on plane, try to control my speed without blasting and work on those foot straps! That's why I'll be going back to read previous posts to burn it in the old nogin. Ady........ it's time we both get out of the sandbox and put on the big boy pants! LMAO!!!!!

Learning Progression 6 years 6 months ago #84

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Oh, in your previous post I think you asked about controlling your speed, haven’t you? The best way to do it is to head upwind! You have to do that most of the time anyway -if you have enough speed to sustain planing -to compensate for jibing /or gybing as they spell it in UK/ , drifting , etc. Sometimes when you are way overpowered though, the equipment will start to do weird stuff like nose lifting , tailwalking or shape deterioration of the rig that causes power loss /due to mast overbending/, or all of the above. In this case you’ll have to sheet out to some extent and head across or even downwind to gain control again. It’s better to give in then trying to fight back by sheeting harder IMO. This is what I was doing in those rogue 30mph gusts the other day being overpowered with the 7.5.
If this keeps happening a lot then it’s best to come in and downsize asap -rig, fin, board or all of them.
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds