Thursday, March 28, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Learning Progression

Learning Progression 6 years 8 months ago #37

Ady that's another very good article that I'll need to read many times over to try to fully digest. I haven't really given a lot of thought on matching things up yet but it's a good point to start thinking about it. My progression with my 165l and various sails I have at this time will dictate any future direction to first determine what would be the next size and type of board I should consider. I see this as the first real major decision to start building a new "true" quiver. Does one buy a decent used board that someone is getting rid of because it didn't meet their expectations? what size and how old of a board do you buy as technology moves on and the old stuff just keeps getting older, not that it's bad, but.....? Look at my first beginners quiver I purchased: large Starboard Go board, 2-2000 vintage Ezzy Sails, Ace Bandage Harness, a couple of booms, 2-masts and base fittings. From there I picked up the 165l Bic Nova, a North 4.7 and 6.0 Ezzy. I also looked back in the Forum and spotted a good thread "15 years after......First Impression" started by Gregory. Reading it, you can see the equipment Gregory used many years ago and how everything has changed, including sailing techniques due to the newer equipment. I think the board will be the biggest challenge to figure out.

Learning Progression 6 years 8 months ago #38

I've been going over some of the suggested links people have previously offered up in this thread. Going back to the 5th post from Otto (page 1) about 3/4 the way into his post he talks about purchasing equipment, as well as some do's and don't recommendations. He has 2 Ezzy links that I think are well worth the time to check out. The first is on "Basic Sail Design Theory". Let's face it, I don't think any of us beginners ever gave an initial thought as to how a sail is actually supposed to work, right? Our biggest goal was to get some gear (beg, barrow, or buy) check out the web to see how it's supposed to go together and streak across the lake. Yah, right, we all know how that turned out! Anyway check them out there's some good knowledge out there and my thought is "There's power in knowledge!" and this link could give you some of the power you're looking for to get that sail tuned up to get on plane. Since we've just been talking about our quivers, the second link goes over some equipment matching that could be helpful. I also took a screen shot of a North Sail brochure that could give you some insight on masts and sail compatibility. Other than that we're all just waiting for the next windy day. As they say in sailing, "No blow, no go!"

image_2017-07-05.png

Learning Progression 6 years 8 months ago #39

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Have you seen this video?! All you need to know about getting in the footstraps and planing is right here man :

Learning Progression 6 years 8 months ago #40

Yes, Reid posted it in this thread. This video with your play by play should be my ticket to planning provided I get some wind and TOW! Returned from Michigan today with a few items. North 7.3, 460 mast, carbon mast extension with 2 bolt base, fin and a NeilPryde 4.2.

image_2017-07-09.jpeg

image_2017-07-09-2.jpeg

image_2017-07-09-3.jpeg

image_2017-07-09-4.jpeg

Learning Progression 6 years 8 months ago #41

• Mike
  • High Wind
Those look like nice finds! The sails will each have a totally different feel in your hands and your technique may change a little between them to get planing.

A couple posts earlier I think you mentioned getting into the straps to plane, and I wanted to jump in and clarify that you can plane without the straps. on lighter days I will not use the back strap at all if the tail sinks and it slows me down. You could practice getting onto and off a plane without straps. Once you can plane and drop off plane at will (by opening and closing your back hand), then you go for straps. Front foot first. Install your front straps closer to the centerline and forward using the holes closest to the mast base. when planing with your front foot in the strap, your back foot is near centerline and you slowly progress by sliding that back to rest touching the forward outside of the rear strap. you will be almost "squared up" by now. when you feel comfortable with the speed and have subtle back hand control (so you have stopped catapulting) you practice fully squaring while up on a plane and getting that back foot in. You will not succeed with that back foot into the back strap every time and it will take some practice days. You can still have fun planing around with the front foot strapped for a while, you will be getting closer to your top speed at that point. Back foot strapped is mostly for extra control -at this point....

Great enthusiasm! All of the above can be mastered here in the great lakes.

Since you asked earlier, my first board was a bic 293 with 6.5 ezzy rig etc from Ralph in Kenosha, and I taught myself after. I did everythign on that 6.5 which was undersized for my weight in 15kts. Practiced in any wind, except never in offshore wind. 6.5 was enough to plane that big board when the when went over 15 knots in gusts. also, that sail got beat up. When I could plane by sheeting in and out (out of the straps), I went with an 8.5 to increase my range with a harness. I then went to a vacation spot for waterstart lessons, and mastered that on a 30kt day in Hatteras. So uphauling, then planing, harness, footstraps, all in chicago, then waterstarts in a steady wind spot....

Learning Progression 6 years 8 months ago #42

Mike, I like the idea about planing in light winds without the straps or staying out of the back strap if it's going to sink the tail. In my previous attempts I talk about kind of feeling off balance, you as well as Reid use the term "squared or squaring up", a term I had never heard previously. I think that's where some of my problem with balance is coming in. I wasn't going fast enough to be able to get close enough to getting squared up. I like the video Reid and Ady shared but the subtle views and techniques you guys have shared are really where it's at! IMO. I guess In my mind I was always thinking it's all or nothing, but in lighter winds this will be a good approach to get more comfortable on the board for lighter wind planing out of the straps and pre-planing practice to be in the right position to get on plane and into the straps. I think I have one hole on the back end of the front straps where I can move it in. I'm also going to add the second strap to the back as Ady suggested. This should get me further out from the sail and help me with getting in a better position to square up.
I'm pretty happy with the gear I purchased. The 7.3 is in really good condition, "newish". The 4.2 is like brand new. The mast looks good as well as the base/ext. I was mainly after the 7.3 and mast, but I heard for bigger sails you should have a 2 bolt base. So in his box of goodies he was still trying to unload, he had the base, extension as well as the fin. I really didn't feel the need for the 4.2 at this time but he really wanted to get rid of it. So I kind of himd and hawd about not really needing it. But as I was thinking about it, I thought it might be good for my wife or nephew who seems to be taking an interest in my endeavors, and who knows it would be great to be able to use it some day. Eventually I got him to throw it in for 50.00,so out the door w/everything for 4 bills.
Mike, thanks so much for taking the time to share, much appreciated!

Learning Progression 6 years 8 months ago #43

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
There is a good chance to have the right conditions for your newly acquired 7.3 this Wednesday on Wolf. Get ready, Im looking forward to it !

Learning Progression 6 years 8 months ago #44

I remember uphauling my 6.5 two years ago and that was a chore as much time as I was spending in the water. Not sure how many 7.3 uphauls I would have in me for a day. Might have to bring a few sails and see how it goes pending actual wind conditions and ability/progress.

Learning Progression 6 years 8 months ago #45

• Mike
  • High Wind
Yes well waterstarting is much easier.

That said, I recently took a US Sailing windsurf course and if I am around I can teach you a very, very easy uphaul technique. I can uphaul all day without getting sore or tired in my back and arms using the US Sailing method.

Learning Progression 6 years 8 months ago #46

I saw a previous post for that class this year. Eventually I would would also like to take it. I would definitely be interested in a better less fatigue way to uphaul!

Learning Progression 6 years 8 months ago #47

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Do you really need to take a class to learn to uphaul ?! Just step on the opposite board rail as far out as you can while holding the uphaul line. The sailside rail will then pop up the sail of the water like a bottle opener. Most of the time the sail will be upwind of your board so once you pop it out hold in that position until the wind rotates you around and the sail is downwind only then lift it up the rest of the way. Don't forget to step back over the center line of the board or otherwise you'll fall backwards with the rig on top of you :ohmy:
The hardest part of the lifting is done by your own body weight and the leverage of the board width and once out of the water the sail is not that heavy any more. Its so easy that in light winds I prefer to uphaul my 7.5 then to waterstart it.

Learning Progression 6 years 8 months ago #48

• Mike
  • High Wind
That's what I always thought, Ady. It's probably not a technique you ever need to learn.

But for some people it helps. Especially helpful those who have less body weight/strength, and also for people who sail big sails or train long days with slalom sails.
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds