Thursday, March 28, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Learning Progression

Learning Progression 8 years 10 months ago #13

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Just a quote by Jem Hall from an article about Windsups that I think is very true, relevant inland too and food for thoughts for those who are just starting /and for the advanced /. I couldn't copy/paste it so I had to screen-shot steal it ;)
image_2015-05-13.jpg

Learning Progression 8 years 10 months ago #14

Learning Progression 8 years 8 months ago #15

I thought I would continue with this string regarding my progression.
"7/6/15 Lake Andrea" 165L & 5.5 sail
Arrived before 10 and I would guess the wind was 10-15mph out of the south maybe slightly s/e with some decent gusts at times. This was a good day getting better acquainted with my board. I went back and forth across the lake about 8 times and decided to try the harness since things were going pretty smooth. I initially adjusted the harness lines per Jem Halls video. After a few face plants I moved the lines back, lengthened them and lowered the boom slightly. The hook was at a point where I was just barely in the loop so I could disengage quickly. It felt pretty good while I was hooked in but I was only hooked in for short times, 15-30 seconds at a crack (any advice?). I had a solid 3hrs of TOW. Overall a good,day, glad I was able to get hooked in to start to get a feel for it. I also got my back foot into the strap a couple of times for a few seconds. There were a couple of us on the lake until a storm blew in and ended the day.

image_2015-07-06.jpg

image_2015-07-06-2.jpg

image_2015-07-06-3.jpg

image_2015-07-06-4.jpg

Learning Progression 8 years 8 months ago #16

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
It seems like you are trying to develop bad habits already -like putting your back foot in the strap first. You may have hard time getting rid of them later!
I recommend you this app /the beginner package is free/. It's handy to have it on your phone all the time.
Windsurfing Tricktionary by Tricktionary GmbH
appsto.re/us/3Cqwy.i

Learning Progression 8 years 8 months ago #17

Absolutely get your front foot in the strap first, then once you get planing and are in control, slip the back foot in. In medium wind conditions, you can be better off sailing with your back foot out of the strap, just ahead of the back strap. This stance will keep the board flatter (by putting less weight on the tail) and get you planing sooner.

Conversely, I always teach people to waterstart by putting their back foot on the board first. Pull the tail of the board towards you with your back foot, then push down with that back foot while dong a couple frog-kicks with the front foot for extra boost if needed. At the same time, swing the sail towards the nose to scoop some air into it. Once you come out of the water, you get much more stability having your back foot on the board (compared to having your front foot on) because of the longer distance from the mast base; you have better leverage against being tossed over the nose :silly:

Drew

Learning Progression 8 years 8 months ago #18

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I would actually remove the footstraps for now if I were you. You don't need them in light wind, they are only in your way distracting you. Later when you start sailing in moderate/medium strength winds 15 mph+ with bigger sails and you start feeling the board raising on a plane and the speed gets scary , then you can put the 4 footstraps in place and attempt the next challenge of getting into them. The 3 strap setup on such a wide board is rather useless anyway and feels very awkward at speed.

Learning Progression 8 years 8 months ago #19

Garry Zack wrote:
After a few face plants I moved the lines back, lengthened them and lowered the boom slightly. The hook was at a point where I was just barely in the loop so I could disengage quickly. It felt pretty good while I was hooked in but I was only hooked in for short times, 15-30 seconds at a crack (any advice?).

One thing you can do is a dry-land test. Set up everything but don't put on your fin so you can stand on the board in the grass or beach. In light wind see if you can find the balance point of the sail by being able to hold the boom with one hand. Then put the harness line on either side of your hand. Repeat on the other side. And then don't forget to put on your fin. :)

Shawna Cropas
harness_line_balance_point2.jpg

Peter Hart
harness_line_balance_point.jpg

Learning Progression 8 years 8 months ago #20

Just wanted to share this video on Gybe. Jem Hall mentions it in his video about light wind turning but really doesn't go into great detail. I like the way this video explains how to turn the board. Check it out...

Learning Progression 8 years 8 months ago #21

Reid, I just noticed the name on the pix you posted is Peter Hart, same guy that did the video I just posted.

Learning Progression 6 years 8 months ago #22

I want to continue this topic and my progression since its a cornucopia of knowledge of many fine windsurfers. It's great to go back and read the previous comments as they have and will help me progress. Last year I didn't get a chance to windsurf, so this past May my wife and I spent 8 days in Bonaire (6 OTW). I worked on getting comfortable in the harness, beach starts and an attempt to learn water starting. Three weeks ago I went out to Wolf with my big starter board w/4.7 and worked on getting my feet into the foot straps, overall it went pretty good. Last week I went out to Wolf with my 165l and 6.0 to try to get into the straps and hook in. It was a big struggle to get into both straps while hooked in. I felt very awkward and unbalanced. The only bright spot is that I actually got up and planning but only the back foot was in the strap, my front foot was up against the mast base. As stated in previous comments in this thread getting the back foot in the harness first is a bad habit and a real no no! But it was nice to finally get up and planning! This past week I spent a lot of time looking for a good video that would show a good overall example of the straps. They all have good verbiage but I couldn't find what I was really looking for. I remembered seeing Gregory's Bonaire video and remembered it had some very candid boom, harness, foot strap camera views. Gregory IMO I have to say this is one of the best tutorials for overall mechanics of going into a Gybe, from sail position to maneuvering your feet in and out of the straps as you get back on plaine. It clearly shows how to inch your way back into the straps. I recommend this video to anyone who is having trouble learning this. It's a great video to begin with but is also a great teaching aid! Thanks Gregory! So this past Wednsday I hit Wolf again early morning with my 165l & 6.0. I started out hooking in, not planning but somewhat up on the water. After many attempts I finally got my front foot in struggling with balance and eventually my back foot. I was sinking the side rail at first until I started to get a better feel for the board, the wind and harness. I was kind of jumping in and out of the straps and harness but I finally got to a point where I felt somewhat comfortable. This took a good hour or so. So I decided to head back to the car for a break and some food when it happened. I caught a huge gust of wind and got launched over the front of the board and my side landed on the mast. Felt like I took a big hook to the side of my ribs. Gathered myself, got back up on the board and apparently I enjoyed it so much the first time I did it again about 50 yards later! Nothing close to the horrific incident Manuel had but a real eye opener. Manuel I hope your recovery is going well for you! So I took my break and decided to go out one more time. Got back on the water without incident and finished up the day after about 2 1/2 hours OTW. Overall a great day with 4 very long consistant runs across the lake, except for the 2 left hooks I took from Mother Nature! Ribs are a little tender but a bit better 2 days later.
There's one thing I've been putting off that I need to do. Buy a new the harness!!! Thinking that Dakine T-7 unless someone has some other input. The one I have is 2000 vintage with no back support and side protection for the lower ribs. Its not much more than a heavy duty Ace bandage wrap. I also included the setup I have on my board. I could use some good candid input on possible changes.

image.jpeg

image_2017-06-30.jpeg

Learning Progression 6 years 8 months ago #23

Welcome back, Garry. Did you see this video?

How to use the Foostraps & get Planing
windsurfillinois.com/index.php/forum/win...oostraps-get-planing

Learning Progression 6 years 8 months ago #24

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Hi Gary! I wish you came to Wolf on Thursday /when I sailed there/ instead-it was very quiet and I could have helped you with some tips.
Anyway besides new harness you should get yourself a good windsurfing floatation or impact vest, to better protect your rib cage. As for planing in the footstraps, I would recommend you getting a bigger sail-like 7.5 -and using 4 footstraps.
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds