Thursday, March 28, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: Stumbled across... Hobie Trifoiler

Stumbled across... Hobie Trifoiler 6 years 2 months ago #1

Have you seen this before? Stumbled across this vid on YouTube and despite not being Windsurfing stuff, it's still sailing!
it just amazed me that the contraption was created back in 1981 and commercialized from 1992 to 1999. ...would live to give this a try!
Check out this vid, especially at 19:45 onwards.

Stumbled across... Hobie Trifoiler 6 years 2 months ago #2

I have this on VHS :dry: It's from around 1991.

Stumbled across... Hobie Trifoiler 6 years 2 months ago #3

Nice! I really like the super fast jibes. This looks like you could take a couple of G's going around. As far as physical activity, this looks a bit static: A regular Hobie Cat catamaran seems demanding more active sailing. Still, I would love to take a ride in one of these!
I was also watching the rigging and set-up tutorial online and this is quite lengthy involving. If what I found is right, the price was also quite high back then at around $11-12K. Looks like there was a used one for sale around NY a couple of years ago for $10K!

But even better now: The Bladerider or The Moth. This clearly looks a lot more physical than the Trifoiler! The guys Down-under looks like they're having fun on these machines. But checkout the front door exits... Pretty dramatic!

Stumbled across... Hobie Trifoiler 6 years 2 months ago #4

As Ady would say, here's where you're headed...

Naish Foil, 6 - 10 knots of wind.

Stumbled across... Hobie Trifoiler 6 years 2 months ago #5

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I see.... :whistle:

Stumbled across... Hobie Trifoiler 6 years 2 months ago #6

Nice video Reid! I like his comment at the end as he talks about going days without being able to windsurf. He makes it all seem so majestic and effortless in a light breeze per say but how consistent does that breeze have to be? and how steady is the sailing in light gusty conditions that could be typical around here. Although maybe we do have favorable conditions but we just don't watch for them since its usually of no real use to us with conventional WS kits. Might give new meaning to light wind sailing days. Could end up having more days on a foil during the year and having to dust off conventional kits when winds pick up. I like it but I'm wondering what the learning curve on it is. Almost looks to easy but as I know "Nothing in this sport is as easy as it looks!" If it has a shorter learning curve, I can see it generating more interest in the sport. Long sweeping jibes, smaller sail uphauls (my wife would love that!) no "seemingly" foot strap/harness/planning learning curve...... I'm going to put this on my 2018 list. I'll have to see if there are any prerequisites to taking a lesson somewhere and show the video to the wife and see if she's interested enough to start planning a WS trip.

Stumbled across... Hobie Trifoiler 6 years 2 months ago #7

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I don’t get all the fuss about it . It just looks weird to me, I’d rather pick up kiting then add more hustle to the pile we already have in windsurfing.
Hey Garry, did you sail in October and November?
Happy New Year to all of you guys!!!

Stumbled across... Hobie Trifoiler 6 years 2 months ago #8

Garry, I'm thinking the same as you. I'd like to spend a day renting or learning somewhere before I commit to buying foiling equipement. See links below for a few pointers I found as I was browsing the subject of the past few weeks. I'm sure there are plenty of other sources outhere...
shop.wind-nc.com/blogs/info/windsurf-foi...r-when-buying-a-foil
shop.wind-nc.com/blogs/info/windsurf-foi...ntly-asked-questions

I recently had a chat with Eddy at BigWinds and Ben at WindPower regarding their own experience and learning curve with foiling. Big Winds has a few videos and tests on various foil and boards you can get and their intended usage sweet spot. They both had a good advice. Best is to contact them rather than me trying to paraphrase what they said...

At least, what I got is that if I ever decided to invest into foiling this year, I'd probably use my 2017 Fanatic Falcon Lightwind with its deep Tuttle Box. From what I can hear, it is the perfect width and volume to take advantage of an early-lifting foil. The only issue is the non-reinforced fin box (the 2018 version is!). I would still do it but with the help of a PowerPlate from Windance to better distribute the load over a larger surface. Many foil mount can be adapted to work with the PowerPlate. Looks like a good option to retrofit an existing board for foiling. See here: www.windance.com/PowerPlate-Complete-w-Powerbo/41722/

Isthmus Sailboard and WindPower seem to also sell the PowerPlate kit.

Stumbled across... Hobie Trifoiler 6 years 2 months ago #9

Ady wrote:
I’d rather pick up kiting then add more hustle to the pile we already have in windsurfing.
Happy New Year to all of you guys!!!

Happy New Year!
Ady, the foil for a kite or a windsurf takes the same space and in some instances it works on both (With the correct adapter plate). At the end, it all depends what you want to do with your time: Go to the beach and sailing in sub-10 knots, paddle on the SUP board or play with the kids doing sand castle! ;)

Stumbled across... Hobie Trifoiler 6 years 2 months ago #10

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Why not just have a beer instead?! Or two B)

Stumbled across... Hobie Trifoiler 6 years 2 months ago #11

Found this site that has some instruction that might help to better understand what it takes to foil. I haven't had a chance to go through all of it, but with the weather as it is I think I'll have plenty of time in the coming days.

www.foil-academy.com/courses/wind-foil-academy

Stumbled across... Hobie Trifoiler 6 years 2 months ago #12

Great find. Thx
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds