Thursday, March 28, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Best booties: what do you recommend?

Best booties: what do you recommend? 6 years 4 months ago #1

Since I got back into windsurfing 2 seasons ago, I've been using summer 3mm Atan booties - both short and tall, with toe or without. They are light and the sole is thin and allows good direct feel. However, they do not last, usually less than the length of the season. The inner liner starts to deteriorate rather quickly and separates from the sole underneath the heel in a painful bulge. And, when the booties are getting broken-in a bit too much overtime, plus the lack of ankle straps, has a tendency to make the foot slide forward in the booties thus painfully bunching the toes.

That kind of stuff is of course a matter of personal preference.
I'm in the market for short light summer and tall spring/fall warmer booties and would appreciate anyone sharing preferences. Thx.

Best booties: what do you recommend? 6 years 4 months ago #2

(My comments are only regarding booties for cold water. That's the only time I ever wear footwear while windsurfing)
I've tried several different booties over the years and I've still never found anything I like. Thick warm neoprene booties will keep you warm, but they suck up water and feel like bricks tied to my feet. I did have a pair of very thin O'Neill booties, which I would wear over a breadbag on each foot (yes really). The booties were not warm, but with the breadbag keeping my feet *dry* and the bootie protecting the breadbag from ripping, it was do-able. But of course those booties disintegrated since they were so thin.

What I would like to find would be a rubber "crew length" sock. Something that would fit snug and keep my foot dry. Maybe wear an thin cotton sock under it for some warmth. They wouldn't last a real long time but shouldn't be all that expensive; no stitching or sole or anything... just a rubber sock.
If anyone knows of any such product, I would love to know about it :-)
Drew

Best booties: what do you recommend? 6 years 4 months ago #3

• Serhan
  • Fresh Breeze
Out of the ones I used for summer, I like and recommend the "NP Surf Mission Low Cut Split Toe 3mm" best, they have good feel, and fit perfectly.

They last about a season though, maybe I am rough on them, but I haven't used a pair which lasted me more than a season. I am adjusting my expectations for them to last about a season.

I just tried a "Quiksilver Mens 5.0 Syncro Round Toe", but sent it back due to loose fit. I have narrower feet, and I like the boots tight.

I tried Hyperflex Amp 2mm in the past, and they were nice, but didn't last too long either.

I just ordered a 3mm o'neil heat, waiting for it to arrive, will let you know what I think.

S.

Best booties: what do you recommend? 6 years 4 months ago #4

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
As I’ve said before my feet are my weakest point in regards warmth so I always try to keep them well insulated. I’ve used Atan, NP and O’neill boots before and my favorite have been the NP also. I checked online and it seems that the old 3000 and 5000 models have been replaced with new names and its a bit confusing
www.npsurf.com/collections/booties
Im seeing older models on Ebay :
m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=...nkw=np+wetsuit+boots
Drew, the closest to a sock are the Atan:
isthmussailboards.com/atan-mistral-3mm-round-toe-boot.html
In fact Im using my old pair that wore off after 2 ! seasons with just little holes in front /which I glued over/ as a socks of a sort under a pair of low cut NPs for my winter sailing. The Atans are awesome flexy, too much actually and because they are latex mold outside they keep the wind/evaporation chill away and they feel warmer then 5 mm booties.
Greg, the next time I shop for booties Ill try ION
www.bigwinds.com/wetsuit-booties
I use different pairs for Summer, Spring/Fall and Winter-3 different pairs in total and hence the reason they last longer!! B)

Best booties: what do you recommend? 6 years 4 months ago #5

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Just for comparison Im posting this well stocked store /UK I think/. The prices are astronomical, but I wish we had so much choice in US as well. Note, they offer only ION , NP and Mystic booties-the best out there IMO.
www.surf-store.com/booties

Best booties: what do you recommend? 6 years 4 months ago #6

Thanks a lot everyone. Plenty to choose from... my head is spinning!
I think I'm going to stick to Atan for summer booties - I found a new version with kevelar reinforced sole. This is good because I tend to ruine them quick on super-sharp zebra mussels on lake Winnebago.
For warmer and tall ones, I'd like to try something else. Regarding Ion, NP or O'Neill booties, my concern is the thickness of the sole and the rigidity given by the multiple layers of plastic or rubber reinforcements wrapping over the toe area. Do you think the extra rubber on the NPs for example is hindering moving in or pulling off the footstraps? I don't want something too grippy around the forefoot and toe areas...
Also, I don't know if it's just me, but I had a good laugh when I stumbled across O'Neill's "Technobutter" neoprene material! Technobutter? ha!

Best booties: what do you recommend? 6 years 4 months ago #7

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
NP are better IMO. I love my 4mm 5000 high cut for Spring/Fall.
13A2CEB3-4823-4A20-B1EB-6FE7301C2DC3.png

O’neill make theirs with only surfers in mind .
If those NP Elite latex are good quality they might be the ultimate windsurfing booties-Atan without too much flex, foot slipping/bunching etc. New model, haven’t seen them personally, but if I was shopping I would definitely give them a try. Found them here:
www.mackiteboarding.com/2018-np-elite-fi...VEAQYAiABEgL0PPD_BwE
I think the NP Mission are the new 5000?! Solid choice any time, but more traditional-no surprises here good or otherwise.

54436139-0556-4039-8EAF-27E54F1DC141.jpeg

Oh! Round toe are pointier and more easy to get in/out of the footstraps!!! I hate split toe.

Best booties: what do you recommend? 6 years 4 months ago #8

Thanks Ady. I'll give the NP you pointed out a try.
And Servan, plz let us know what you think of the 3mm O'Neill.

One more thing:
Who finds it best to put booties over wetsuit versus wetsuit over the booties? I personally do the later to prevent water rushing into them thus avoiding the wetl log effect. Just curious...

Best booties: what do you recommend? 6 years 4 months ago #9

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Gregory wrote:
Who finds it best to put booties over wetsuit versus wetsuit over the booties?
Really? Anybody does that?! What’s it called? The cowboy style? :lol:

Best booties: what do you recommend? 6 years 4 months ago #10

• Serhan
  • Fresh Breeze
Gregory wrote:
Thanks Ady. I'll give the NP you pointed out a try.
And Servan, plz let us know what you think of the 3mm O'Neill.

One more thing:
Who finds it best to put booties over wetsuit versus wetsuit over the booties? I personally do the later to prevent water rushing into them thus avoiding the wetl log effect. Just curious...

Lately "boots over wetsuit" / cowboy style, at least to start with. I don't fall much, therefore not much water coming down on the inside, and it prevents the wetsuit from rolling up when my heel hits the water. I hit my heel to the water at speed more frequently than falling in.

Best booties: what do you recommend? 6 years 4 months ago #11

LOL. I knew this would be a good conversation.
Actually I still do both: water rushing up the wetsuit, and water rushing in the booties when in the water and adding unnecessary weight. For now, I prefer the water "rolling up my sleeves" rather than generating boat anchors! :blink:

Best booties: what do you recommend? 6 years 4 months ago #12

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Got it, it makes sense now! My NP wetsuits come with separate velcro cuffs for the ankles that prevent the roll up. Sometimes I forget to strap them on and the legs roll up indeed.
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds