Thursday, April 18, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: Hot Sails Maui design customisation

Hot Sails Maui design customisation 6 years 5 months ago #13

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
David Mark wrote:
I've sailed nothing but HSM since 2003, I had a 6.3 Superfreak color option #1, my most used sail, everybody in Chicago knew my sail. Kept it for 10+ years, then sold it on Ebay to a freak in NY who had a set of smaller ones, and bought it for $140. Since I bought it for about $350 at year-end sell off, what amazing resale value. I replaced it with new but old-model Firelight 6.0, which is lighter than Superfreak and rigs on a 400 mast. I still have 7.0 Superfreak ultralight (thinner softer Dacron) and 5.3 Superfreak. The SF are probably less powerful for their size than other sails, when I compare what I am using to others at the same time. The custom sails I imagine are great, but I have had tremendous luck buying used and new old model sails and masts on their web site.
Show us your freakishness! Pictures please!

Hot Sails Maui design customisation 6 years 5 months ago #14

7.0 on beach and flying away from me. It is very flat on beach because battens do not extend to luff, sail cloth is all folded up at luff and fills when sheeted in. Sail instantly depowers, which is both good and bad.
superfreak1.jpg

superfreak02.jpg

Hot Sails Maui design customisation 6 years 5 months ago #15

The SuperFreaks have two 90% battens (the two above the boom) which gives you a luff-able sail. Great for depowering when riding waves, and a huge benefit when sailing overpowered. When you sheet out the sail goes flat and lets you stay in control.

The SpeedFreak is all full battens.

You can see the SF luff in this picture (extreme upper right corner):

Drew

Hot Sails Maui design customisation 6 years 5 months ago #16

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Great looks! Those sails are HOT indeed and super tough on top. I wish I can afford to go somewhere and try them out this winter, but it won’t happen. :(
It would be fun to sail a few as they are almost unique compared to everything else out there.

Hot Sails Maui design customisation 5 years 11 months ago #17

Upgrading and putting one of my SuperFreaks up for sale. This is a 5.3 classic Superfreak durable with PVC window, indestructible sail, walk on it crinkle it up no problem. It was fitted with an adjustable headcap, so the luff length is 430 for the small amount of mast sticking out. See the HSM web site for instructions on how to rig the sail, it does not have the usual floppy top, you use batten position relative to mast to determine downhaul. Pick up from me in Chicago. $120, I think it is maybe 2005-2006 vintage, but the sails did not ever change very much.

IMG_4873.jpg

IMG_4874.jpg

Hot Sails Maui design customisation 5 years 11 months ago #18

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Hey David, that’s an awesome looking sail and a great size aswell /my favorite/.
I suggest you start a new FOR SALE topic though.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds