Thursday, March 28, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Homemade Storage Rack

Homemade Storage Rack 6 years 7 months ago #1

If anyone is looking for ideas on how to make a storage racks for windsurfing equipment, here is an example with a materials' list, all available at you hardware store:
- 2x2 white pine lumber (to extend bracket length),
- 24"x24" Interlocking grey foam flooring squares (cut in strips to match 2x2 lumber),
- 3/8" copper pipe (for bracing the brackets against lateral movement),
- 18"x16" heavy duty shelf brackets,
- 3" corner braces,
- Contact cement (to glue strips of protective foam flooring to wood bracket extensions),
- Assorted wood/drywall screws and washers (to secure wood bracket extensions to metal shelf brackets),
- and lag screws (to anchor brackets to the wall)

The only power tools I used were a miter saw, an orbital sander with 60 and 120 sandpaper and a drill driver with assorted drill bits and philips screwdriver bit.
Hand tools: Wrench and sockets, vice, 4' level, tape mesure, box cutter, pencil and permanent thin point marker.

The lower level brackets are for masts and sails. I built the bracket with a short wooden return to hold the sails in place. The bracket is wide enough so the sails are not too stacked on top of each other. This is pretty convenient to access since it is at waist-height. I sized the other wooden bracket extensions to match the width of each dedicated board minus a few inches (doesn't need to extend the full width to keep it safe in place). I rounded off and foam-protected the ends of the lower brackets so delicate skulls would not have to meet a hard protruding piece of wood. Finally, I saw that I needed to add a short length of copper tube on each of the lower brackets to serve as lateral braces for structural rigidity (After being previously flattened, slightly bent and drilled at both ends).

It was fun to build but I have to admit it is overbuilt for the task (boards are not that heavy!) and probably a bit overpriced.
If I had to do this again, I would try with threaded steel pipes cantilevered from the wall (the stuff used for natural gas conduits). This is inherently super strong as long as the wall anchors plates are securely bolted on solid wood blocking in the wall. That would certainly be faster to build/install.

Edit: Sry for pics #2, 3 and 4... bad orientation.

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_0991_fix.jpg

IMG_1009_fix.jpg

IMG_1001_fix.jpg

IMG_1007.jpg

Homemade Storage Rack 6 years 7 months ago #2

Gregory wrote:
Sry for pics #2, 3 and 4... bad orientation.

I fixed them ;)

Homemade Storage Rack 6 years 7 months ago #3

Great! Thx Reid.

Homemade Storage Rack 6 years 7 months ago #4

IMG_20170823_163630.jpg

IMG_20170823_163714.jpg

I have similar setup at home. 1/2" EMT is a bit cheaper than copper. I don't use any brackets. 2x2 is attached to the studs on slight angle with an angled 2x4 as a support. It works good.

Homemade Storage Rack 6 years 7 months ago #5

Very nicely done Stefan. Love the simplicity and efficiency of your solution. No brackets allows for less wasted space between the boards. Makes me want to rebuild mine your way. :S

Homemade Storage Rack 6 years 5 months ago #6

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
I made a windsurfing rack based on Stefan's.

0FEAB79F225146158F49BFDB669E1E5C.jpg

Homemade Storage Rack 6 years 5 months ago #7

Those look great Chris! Nice work!
Good ideas in this thread

Homemade Storage Rack 6 years 5 months ago #8

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Hey Chris, is this really your rack? I haven’t seen you sailing neither of this boards :unsure:
PS: just teasing you :lol:

Homemade Storage Rack 6 years 5 months ago #9

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
I haven't sailed three of them. Watch "This Is Spinal Tap - Nigel's Guitar Room" on YouTube

Homemade Storage Rack 6 years 5 months ago #10

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
So wich one of your boards I’m not even allowed to point at? Just in case I ever find myself in your garage?

Homemade Storage Rack 6 years 5 months ago #11

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
I keep it in a board bag to prevent that from happening no worries!

Homemade Storage Rack 6 years 5 months ago #12

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds