Thursday, March 28, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Where to get Epoxy resin and fiberglass

Where to get Epoxy resin and fiberglass 6 years 10 months ago #1

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
I'm going to repair my board nose, and I think I'm going to need more than the amount you get from an epoxy kit, but I don't want to buy a whole gallon because it will be sitting on a shelf for years to come. So, what can I get and where?
Thanks,
Manuel

Where to get Epoxy resin and fiberglass 6 years 10 months ago #2

hey manuel- i use west marine epoxy/hardener with pump kit (bought from west marine online/or locally). The glass i buy from www.fiberglasssupply.com/.
I like q-cell for filler. You may want a gel coat too.

Where to get Epoxy resin and fiberglass 6 years 10 months ago #3

A Gallon of epoxy? That's probably more than what it would take to build a board. Not to mention the weight.....

There are several places to get materials. Precision in mixing the ratio of resin to hardener is very important. Also, the faster an epoxy cures, the more heat it will produce when it is curing (the lingo here is "when it goes off"). This heat, if trapped, can melt the foam core of a board. Tight fitting repair materials with minimal epoxy is prudent. The 'System Three' site below has a lot of tutorial information. And, there is also info on the "Board Lady" web site to study......

boardlady.com/

Good stuff. Can buy at the local 'West Marine" store.
www.westsystem.com/ss/105-epoxy-resin/
www.westmarine.com/epoxy-resin

Better epoxy (System Three) with aerospace pedigree. The System Three website also offers supplies and a ton of information in their "Resource Library":
www.systemthree.com/store/pc/viewcategor...IN5EiBnWwaAg5A8P8HAQ

www.systemthree.com/reslibrary/m_index.asp

Then there is cloth:
www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=carbon+fiber+cloth+suppliers

www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=kevlar+fiber+cloth+suppliers

Then, the time to put it together......... What an adventure.....

doug

Where to get Epoxy resin and fiberglass 6 years 10 months ago #4

Addendum:
The link Alan provided is excellent: www.fiberglasssupply.com/.
Fiberglass Supply sells both 'System Three' and 'West System' epoxies. They also sell excellent 'core materials' such as Divinicell.

Another good supplier is: www.uscomposites.com/index.html
They have a tremendous selection of Fiberglass, carbon and Kevlar materials in different weaves and weights......
US Composites also sells the West System 105 Epoxy.....

Remember to be very careful when working with carbon fiber. Shards of carbon in the skin, or dust in the lungs is very bad ju-ju.....

Where to get Epoxy resin and fiberglass 6 years 10 months ago #5

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
thanks Alan and Doug for all the info.
Doug thanks for the carbon warning
Alan, What's a gel coat?
Also, should i use a slow hardener of a fast one?

Where to get Epoxy resin and fiberglass 6 years 10 months ago #6

I used to build boards (built about 10 of em), and I switched from using west system to US composites epoxy, because it's just as good for what I was doing and 1/2 the price. These guys have everything: US Composites

Where to get Epoxy resin and fiberglass 6 years 10 months ago #7

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
Eric, thank you. The prices are really good and you can buy almost exactly the amount that you need. What kind of hardener should I used medium or fast? From what I read from their website I should not use slow hardener in cold weather.
Thanks again,
Manuel

Where to get Epoxy resin and fiberglass 6 years 10 months ago #8

I always use the fast hardener. Unless you're doing something really complicated or it's really hot out, the fast hardener will give you about 8-10 min of working time with small amounts.

Where to get Epoxy resin and fiberglass 6 years 8 months ago #9

I use Jamestown Distributors www.jamestowndistributors.com

Where to get Epoxy resin and fiberglass 6 years 7 months ago #10

I'm repairing a few cracks and dings...
Has anyone had success with reproducing non-skid surface to look close to production? Acrylic dust, sugar, salt? What's working, what's not?
Thanks for sharing your advice with this.

IMG_1535.jpg

Where to get Epoxy resin and fiberglass 6 years 7 months ago #11

gregory- you gotta get that thing finished, looks like MC getting wind this afternoon!

I tried sugar for a big 'soft deck' repair, and it did not work for me. I have some acrylic dust (that is what the factory uses), but have not applied that product yet. Is this repair by the nose? If so I wouldn't bother with the nonskid

Where to get Epoxy resin and fiberglass 6 years 7 months ago #12

OMG (!), not SALT!!! Acrylic or polyurethane dust is the best thing to use. You wanna use polyester resin to bond it to the deck, Don't use epoxy or polyurethane: it'll turn yellow.
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds