Friday, March 29, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Super Lightwind: who has tried one?

Super Lightwind: who has tried one? 6 years 11 months ago #25

• Serhan
  • Fresh Breeze
Looks great! Please let us know your impressions once you take it out on the water.

Super Lightwind: who has tried one? 6 years 9 months ago #26

Finally, I took the new kit on the water yesterday.
Here's a short video:

First impression:
Conditions were very marginal: 11 knots with a few gust at 12-13. I weigh 85kg and this is as low as I would take it with the 9.4. Would be best in 12-13 knots. I sailed the 50cm stock fin. Next time I will use a 57cm to provide more lift and early planing. Upwind is good but not remarkably better than my 124 L freeride. I think it will improve once I have a few hours riding it with harness lines properly adjusted. It is stable but agile through small chop and rolling swell, comfortable but relatively alive under the feet. The footstraps are easy to get in. It is fast in marginal conditions once on a plane, but at 90cm wide, it has a tendency to "stick" to the water and needs pumping a little to get it to plane in 11-12 knots. The NP V8 is beautifully manufactured. It rigs very easily and has plenty of power. Hard to say more besides that the NP V8 feels relatively manageable despite its size (short boom length for a sail this size), but deliver a more direct power than my Ezzy Lion. I'm happy with the kit and I think it will extend my time on the water during the summer in conditions below 14-15 knots especially during lulls. Now, I think the board begs a foil and a 6.0 sail to lower even more the wind speed threshold!

Super Lightwind: who has tried one? 6 years 9 months ago #27

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Killer light wind kit! That huge see-thru window on the V8 is awesome and gives the impression of a very light sail, which it probably is. I doubt if the combo will benefit from a bigger fin . If the 50cm one that you have is a good carbon fin, it is probably optimal.

Super Lightwind: who has tried one? 6 years 8 months ago #28

Yes, the clear lower half of the sail is completely transparent - very nice. The JP Super Light Wind is recommending a 60cm fin with sail above 8.5 while the Falcon's stock is 50cm (Choco Fin). Both boards are not that dissimilar. I wonder why the different fin size?...
Regardless, I'm stoked. B)

Super Lightwind: who has tried one? 6 years 8 months ago #29

• Serhan
  • Fresh Breeze
Thanks for sharing your impressions! Looks like a killer combo.

Super Lightwind: who has tried one? 6 years 8 months ago #30

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Gregory wrote:
Yes, the clear lower half of the sail is completely transparent - very nice. The JP Super Light Wind is recommending a 60cm fin with sail above 8.5 while the Falcon's stock is 50cm (Choco Fin). Both boards are not that dissimilar. I wonder why the different fin size?...
Regardless, I'm stoked. B)
Maybe they are right, I don't know. I shouldn't be giving my opinion on fins, because honestly I don't know much about them. My mantra about fins so far has been simple: if it doesn't spin out too much then its big enough. And my size guide has been the formula Ive read in a P Hart article once: for boards wider then 70 cm you take the half of your sail size and add 5, for boards less then 70cm wide -same thing but without adding 5. So for your 9.4 it will be like this: half of 94 is 47, add 5 and you get 52.
Thruth is that the dynamic in light winds might be different and with the slower speeds you may really need to exaggerate everything big time. I don't really have any good experience in that category so I shouldn't be giving my opinion on it, but for the sake of a good windsurfing discussion I hope you'll forgive my liberties!

Super Lightwind: who has tried one? 6 years 8 months ago #31

What a great summer rig. I want one! We have so many days in the 10 to 15 range. Let us know if you put a foil on it. Way to go man.

Super Lightwind: who has tried one? 6 years 8 months ago #32

Thanks guys for the encouragements.
Ady, your insights and advice are always welcome. And for that fin, I got a little while back a 57cm SELECT S1 RACE DEEP TUTTLE to go with the V8. I'll see if that makes any difference in terms of early planing/lift and upwind capability.

IMG_0567.jpg
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds