Saturday, April 20, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Harness the power!

Harness the power! 7 years 2 months ago #1

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Following up on our conversation yesterday Reid, I'm posting a few links for Ion windsurfing harnesses. Something to keep in mind when shopping Ion products is that the sizing is very generous unlike Dakine.
www.ion-products.com/water/men/harnesses...urf-waist-harnesses/
www.oceanairsports.com/category-s/189.htm
www.gorgesurfshop.com/windsurfing/harnesses
PS: the Radium is on sale with only 2 sizes left! The large should be right for you , mine is M and there is plenty of the inner elastic webbing to spare.
www.oceanairsports.com/2016-Ion-Radium-p/48603473204.htm

Harness the power! 7 years 2 months ago #2

• Mike
  • High Wind
I purchased an Ion harness from one of these retailers a season or two ago, and the harness had spectra internal supports that shredded the nylon connections on my first or second day on the water. Pretty surprised by this failure.

Meanwhile, my Dakine harness, which I was replacing at the time (no longer) is still going strong after 4 years in various conditions.

The retailer was certain the problem was my own rider error. I guess it probably was somehow. Just my 2cents.

Harness the power! 7 years 2 months ago #3

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Jeez! I was praising the ION quality all day long to Reid yesterday. Mike can you post pictures of the damage-it sounds awful. What model was it? I have the middle of the range Ruler and have no complaints so far.

Harness the power! 7 years 2 months ago #4

• Mike
  • High Wind
Radium Select 2015. Do they still make this exact design? Maybe not.

Still like other Ion gear. Except for the failure issue, it was a very comfortable harness.

See photo.

IMG_2373.jpg

Harness the power! 7 years 2 months ago #5

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
It seems like the Radium Select is still the same with 2 narrow webbings on each side.

IMG_1784.png

While the regular Radium is with a single wide webbing on each side that is also from a smoother material/like on my Ruler/.

IMG_1785.png

The conclusion then would be : avoid the Radium Select!
Mike, big Thank You! for the warning .
PS: what did you do with your defective harness?

Harness the power! 7 years 2 months ago #6

• Mike
  • High Wind
My issue was quickly resolved by the retailer.

The main lesson learned is to replace my harness before the old one completely wears out. I had a backup on hand in this instance and it saved my session. ;-)

Harness the power! 7 years 2 months ago #7

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
Well, I've been using the same NP wave harness automatic system model for almost 20 years (if there is nothing wrong with it why change it). The first one I got it circa 1998, and I used it for about 15 years (I don't really get to windsurf that much unfortunately). Then, few years ago, just as my old one was falling apart, I was given the same one by some one who was not using it that much. The harness is not perfect, it tends to move up of your waist, but I love the automatic system and NP does not carry that system anymore. I really dislike the standard system, where no matter how tight you adjust the hook's belts they always end up loose.
The one I have right now is in pretty good shape, so I would probably use it for several more years unless I find something similar.

Harness the power! 7 years 2 months ago #8

I don't have any complaints about the Dakine 4 strap waist harnesses. It's what I use now. I used to have their single strap with Posi-Lock buckle system and I got tired of it loosing up all the time.

I like their 4 straps. With 4 buckles, no slippage.

dakine_harness_2_strap.jpg

And I like their "dog bone" hook pad.

Dakine_harness_dog_bone_pad.jpg

Harness the power! 7 years 2 months ago #9

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
Hi Reid, does you harness stays in your waist for the most part, or slip up?

Harness the power! 7 years 2 months ago #10

It's working great and stays down for the most part, Manuel. Never have to touch the buckles once they're set your first time and then just use the quick-release(on the right side). They've got a few types in the 4 strap set-up. Note that I've only used Dakine so don't have anything to compare to.

Harness the power! 7 years 2 months ago #11

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
FYI, Windance has a sale on Dakine kite harness for half price. I just got the Dakine '16 Renegade and they will change the bar for a windsurfing bar. On sale for $99.
Finally, after 20 years using the same harness.

Harness the power! 7 years 2 months ago #12

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
Reid,
BTW, Thanks for the info.
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds