Friday, April 19, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: "Helmet, get a helmet" she said!

"Helmet, get a helmet" she said! 7 years 5 months ago #1

One more thing: I need is a helmet. I don't want one; "I have to have one", my wife told me. She caught me sailing without my Float Vest and now she's after my head. That's actually quite nice of her to care so much! ...And yes, she knows I have a life insurance, which makes her request even more endearing! :P
Anyhow, I see a few brands out there, but which model is best for comfort? I'm sure preference with this is quite personal, but is there some kind of relative consensus on what is good versus what is junk?
Let me know! Thx.

"Helmet, get a helmet" she said! 7 years 5 months ago #2

Protec "Ace" Get the one with the flaps that cover the ear. If you get launched hard, you can blow out your ear drum if your ear is not covered. Happened to me back in 1997 when I ate it on a backie at Florence (Oregon), because my helmet didn't cover my ears.
I also think the Ace is the best looking helmet out there.....or at a minimum, the least stupid looking helmet out there.

"Helmet, get a helmet" she said! 7 years 5 months ago #3

The deciding factor for my getting a helmet was the one time while flying a 4.8 sail for a waterstart, in way-overpowered conditions. I was under the sail when it reversed cambered smacking me on the top of my head. I became very disoriented and nearly passed out. Glad I had that life-vest on too............. Life vests are nearly impossible to swim with so, "never letting go" of the rig becomes a mantra. Least, I digress.......

My Gath Helmet has a built in, adjustable visor, that is very comfortable. The inside pads are fairly dense and can be shaved with a sharp razor for a 'super' nice fit. Since getting this helmet, I've been conked on the noggin several more times (I've been sailing since 1984). The attached picture was taken in 2009 on the Pamilco Sound in Cape Hatteras...

CoolGath.jpg

"Helmet, get a helmet" she said! 7 years 5 months ago #4

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Are there specific helmet models with a GoPro mount or any helmet can do?

"Helmet, get a helmet" she said! 7 years 5 months ago #5

Seems Gath has updated their product line since 2009 and can now be ordered with a Go-Pro Mount.

www.gathsports.com/

Also, the comment Eric made above about covering the ear (holes) to prevent possible ear drum ruptures is spot on. Gath has ear cup features that can shut out the cold wind as well as water.......

"Helmet, get a helmet" she said! 7 years 5 months ago #6

Go Pro helmet mounts are sold with just about every kit, camera, accessory you buy. I've got like 4 of em I've never used just sittin' around. They're curved and stick on with double sided foam tape. Works on any helmet.
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds