Friday, March 29, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: I need a 5.7, but which one?

I need a 5.7, but which one? 7 years 4 months ago #49

Doug, thx for the tip on the SV Gator. I think I'm going for a new sail though.
I got the Northwave ZX9 and rigged it quickly today. And actual pictures of the 2017 SV Blade.
The NW looks better rigged than on the initial pic.
Im getting tired of my own indecision!

IMG_9351.jpg

IMG_9352.jpg

IMG_9354.jpg

I need a 5.7, but which one? 7 years 4 months ago #50

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Hey Greg, I'm putting the extension on 12 for the Revo 5.7 wich is the max downhaul for the sail and when I release just enough line to be able to put my pinky between the rollers the crease stops at the mark for medium setting. Youll have to readjust the head cap for the first 2/3 sessions until it settles finally and it won't bother you after that. A little bit of outhaul is fine, but not too much IMO. If you are still overpowered at max downhaul put the boom on the lower clue hole, but release a bit outhaul when doing that.

I need a 5.7, but which one? 7 years 4 months ago #51

Thanks Ady. Very useful info. I gigged it in the living room :blink: , but with the wrong mast. It didn't really matter; I just wanted to see how it looked for a few minutes. It is a very nice sail and the construction looks great too - slightly below the bullet-proof construction of my Ezzy's though.
Anyhow, after much indecision, I have no regrets. The Revo is more like what I need for my local conditions and my skill level. Unfortunately, the temp here in Sheboygan is in the low 40's - too cold for me now. So, all the gear is in the basement for the winter. I'm not too desperate since I'm heading to Bonaire in 6 weeks and I'll be able to try a Kode like yours for sure! B)
Cheers!

I need a 5.7, but which one? 7 years 4 months ago #52

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Awesome! Bonaire will prepare you for the very different feel and behavior of the wave sails and boards. As for the mast, you can take advantage of the adjustable head of the Revo and try a top 460/bottom 430 combination. I think a head strap extension of about 11cm may work /considering the 8cm min setting of a Chinook mast extension/.
For Tuesday you can go to Silver Lake WI for example. There is a launch on the N end of the lake and the temperature is supposed to be in the lower 50s. Im sure there will be some local guys sailing there. Lake Andrea will be fun also.

I need a 5.7, but which one? 7 years 3 months ago #53

Couldn't escape from work on Tuesday... I've never sailed on these smaller lakes. I would imagine that the water isn't as choppy in high wind conditions. I'll have to give it s try next year. In the meantime, here's my new Revo 5.7 rigged in the family room!
IMG_9398.jpg

IMG_9399.jpg

I need a 5.7, but which one? 7 years 3 months ago #54

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
There is no looseness in the leech visible btw. There should be all the way to the half cog for the medium setting like this:
IMG_0361.jpg

The head cap is protruding too much on yours. It will keep popping up for 2/3 sessions messing up the downhaul, so youll have to retighten it really good few times untill it settles down.
PM: I don't know if it will help, but it's worth a try IMO, to unroll the sail ones again and tighten that head strap really good for the winter storing. If you do it, push the plastic cap to slide as forward on the strap as possible and IN and tighten the strap from the metal things at the same time. Wetting he strap with water in advance comes to my mind aswell.

IMG_1722.jpg

I need a 5.7, but which one? 7 years 3 months ago #55

Yes, all good points. Thanks.
Was rigging quick with 460top+430bottom and too short the mast extension, hence the downhaul not set right.

I need a 5.7, but which one? 7 years 3 months ago #56

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Oh ok, that's a different story then. Try it with the 430 and the combo and if you decide to stay with the combo set the head strap so that you don't have to use any more extension then the minimum one /per B. Peterson/. He also says that getting the looseness right is more important then the battens because it affects the balance of the sail

I need a 5.7, but which one? 7 years 3 months ago #57

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
www.windsurf.co.uk/test/loftsails-pureli...2m-2017-test-review/
This year Loftsails started advertising in the UKs Windsurf mag and their sails are now included in the comparison tests. Thing is the Loftsails Purelip is very simmilar to the Sailworks Revo-like a twin! So whatever they say about the Purelip is absolutely relevant to the Revo. You can swap the names and the pictures and test results and rigging tips will stay the same :). Both companies use the same bend curve masts as far as I know.
The above test is for the 5.2 and in the latest issue the 5.7 has been tested but not yet available on the website.

I need a 5.7, but which one? 7 years 3 months ago #58

Initially, I planed to rig the Revo with a complete 430 Ezzy top and bottom. I need it for the 6.5 Cheetah as well. If I don't like the slightly more flex top of the Ezzy mast on the Revo, I will just get a Sailworks mast and call it a day. I have a feeling that this might be what I might do anyway: because of fluky wind conditions, there has been more than one occasion where rigging the 7.5 and 6.5 without sharing mast pieces would have been hugely beneficial in terms of time on the water and energy rigging/de-rigging/re-rigging. So, each sail its own mast and one boom for everything (at least for now and until I need a 5.0 to go with the 100l). I already have 2 masts extensions, so I just need Santa to bring a new mast!

Yes, I also took a look the Loftsails a month ago or so. They look good too. If the Revo is as versatile as what Windmag says about the Purelip, then that looks good to me!
BTW, where do you usually launch? Are you far away from Chicago?

I need a 5.7, but which one? 7 years 3 months ago #59

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
A 430 Sumo makes sense indeed, I truly believe that in the future you may be looking to replace the 6.5 Cheetah with a 6.2 Revo.
I had a Loft Switchblade a few years ago while I was still experimenting, but it's quality back then was disappointing and the shape was too much racing oriented-tuned for the high end and lacking in the low. An 8.5 I bought it for a 136 L Super Sport , i didn't like either one and ended up selling both of them. Maybe I just had them too early in my progression judging by my hunched down stance in the picture /although I remember being grossly overpowered that day, in this kind of a Wolf Lake chop I would be probably with a 6.5 or less nowadays/
IMG_0130.jpg

To answer your launching spots question: I live in Woodridge /WSW of Chicago/ and my closest launches are almost an hour away-Wolf Lake and 95th St. Lack of a good Freewave board kept me confined to those flat water spots, but now that i have a 94 Kode Ill be looking for more Lake Michigan adventures in the next season...maybe :huh:
PS: this 140-200 boom looks sweet www.isthmussailboards.com/RRD-MR-T9-Mono...oductinfo/RRD15MRV3/
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds