Friday, March 29, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: Advice on Some New Sails

Advice on Some New Sails 7 years 7 months ago #13

Devin McAllester wrote:
So since my 7.5 is beat to shit, I've decided to update my quiver. I have my heart pretty much set on a 7.5 and a 6.0. From my experience those two sizes should cover the wind range the board is made for. A 7.5 normally gets me planning in like 16 knots, and the 6.0 could take over when the 7.5 starts to get overpowered. I really wouldn't want to put anything smaller than a 6.0 on a 145 L.

Since I'm only going to only get two sails, the sails should have a big wind range. As I've said I think camless sails would be best. Also, since I'd be sailing on the 145 L, I'm looking for freeride sails.

So any thoughts?

Ezzys have a lot of built in profile and they're all X-ply, no Monofilm, with vinyl windows. They almost look cammed on the beach. I also like that the battens don't touch the mast even with no outhaul. The built in profile gives it low end grunt and keeps the draft locked forward when over powered and keeps the leading edge from collapsing. The most "cammed" non cam sail, IMHO, for us folks trying to smooth out the Midwest gusts. All my sails are Ezzys (wave sails).

Here's a shot of my old Ezzy 2011 7.5 Freedride rigged on a 460 GT RDM 100% carbon mast. I recommend skinny masts for 7.5 and down. The board is my old RRD Firemove 110 L 75cm wide. It's about the same width as your 145 L Tabou Rocket( 76cm wide ). Water doesn't know how thick your board is once you're on plane. I also used a 44cm Maui Fins RC2 on it.
Ezzy_Cheeta.jpg

Here's another good shot of the built in profile( on a Freeride 6.5) from an Ezzy rigging video screen grab. And the battens aren't touching the mast.
Ezzy_Cheeta_2.png

The Freeride in now called the Cheetah. You can get a good look at it in this vid.

There's my 2 cents :) on Ezzys .

See if you can demo any of the sails you're looking at somewhere..

Advice on Some New Sails 7 years 7 months ago #14

• Chris
  • Gale Force
Hi Devin,

Like some of the others folks who have posted, I too use Ezzy sails. I recently replied to another post with a breakdown of my quiver. I'm about 177 lbs and mostly sail a 11'8" windsup and 145L board.

I think you have two considerations here: 1) if money is an issue, what two sails will allow you to use the same mast? (Or perhaps mix and match pieces so that you are buying three discreet tops or bottoms instead of four). Ezzys have a mix-and-match system that allows you to fudge this a little. (They used to have a pull-down menu for mixing masts on specific year sails, but I don't see this anymore. You could e-mail them directly and ask, for example, what maximum size sail could use a 430 base and 460 top. If you do inquire, please let me know!) You could also consider simply lengthening the head piece on the smaller sail, but you should make sure that this will work before you make the purchase. For instance, my 7.0 freeride is supposed to rig on a 460 mast. I use a 490 for it, with the head-piece lengthened. Works fine. 2) if money is not an issue and you can get two separate masts, I think a jump from 6.0 to 7.5 or even 8.0 would be fine. If you haven't seen it, check out this windsurfing calculator. May help.

Last point. My only cambered sail is a 9.5. It's a really nice and stable shape when winds are marginal and I need that little extra bit of power to get going. When I'm not planing, however, it feels a bit cumbersome and heavy. So I think the non-cam option for 7.5 or 8.0 sail is a good choice, esp. when you hit the inevitable holes.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds