Thursday, April 25, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: 2015 Fanatic Freewave CWS feedback

2015 Fanatic Freewave CWS feedback 7 years 5 months ago #25

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I had an older JP FSW -2009 or so. It was too long for me 241 cm if I remember correctly and most of the volume was from the middle forward. Also it was a very harsh ride, very direct without shock absorbers like double concaves or thick foot pads. Although the contemporary JPs are short now their tails still look narrow and lacking volume, so probably would be a good idea to take a size bigger then the recommended for the specific sail size especially because we are dealing with fresh water and inconsistent winds. Seems like a number of guys around here have Fanatics from different years and they love them, also the RRDs are very popular here. I have a 2012 Kode Freewave currently and it is a devil of a board-not easy to get it planing, but very fast once on a plane-which is fine for flat water but very technical in a shore break. The new Kodes have been redesigned with those issues in mind and come as tri-fin boards now and I might get one under my feet soon ;)

2015 Fanatic Freewave CWS feedback 7 years 5 months ago #26

Ady -thanks for the feedback.

I am a fan of double concaves - glad that most boards since about 2013 have incorporated that design. I have a JP Supersport and specifically made sure I got the newer model with the double concaves up front (started in 2013 if I remember right). I'm very happy with that board (124L version; I'm 6'3 220).

JPSS1242.jpg

2015 Fanatic Freewave CWS feedback 7 years 5 months ago #27

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Yeah Ive always liked the JP graphics and your SS looks awesome!
So with your weight you are definitely looking at the 112 JP FSW if Im correctly assuming that you need the board for the 5.0 to 6.0 sails range. You can also take a look at the Quatro Tetra which is recommended for bigger people in the latest Windsurf mag test:

www.windsurf.co.uk/test/quatro-tetra-109l-2016-test-review/

2015 Fanatic Freewave CWS feedback 7 years 5 months ago #28

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Btw I also had an SS -2011 136 L, but I sold it because it was too big for me. It was a very nice , smooth riding board but it also had too little volume in the tail wich made it a bit slow to plane for the size.

IMG_0132.jpg

PS: They have a 2014 JP FSW 111 wood at 2Rad in mint condition and a bag it seems!!!
2-rad.com/jp-freewave-fws-111-2014-mint-condition/

2015 Fanatic Freewave CWS feedback 7 years 5 months ago #29

Yes, I am looking at the 112L FSW. As big as I can get. I was also looking at the Naish Starship 116L. The 2014 FSW you sent looks nice but I'm quite leary of FWS construction - being bigger makes it rougher on boards too. Nice find though!

I had the 2010 118L SS version (if I remember right) and I liked that but it wasn't quite "blasty" enough. Then the design changed to what you have, and then I think it switched to what I got (and hasn't changed much since - if at all). JP graphics have been very cool lately.

2015 Fanatic Freewave CWS feedback 7 years 5 months ago #30

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
...and the winner is the Starboard Kode 94

IMG_1681.png

This sweet candy is on her way to her new home. Pre-abused of course, with some battle scars received in the Big Winds rental fleet this season, but to quote somebody's joke : "better one experienced then 100 non" :lol: Would be nice to be able to test her next week!

2015 Fanatic Freewave CWS feedback 7 years 5 months ago #31

I would have included a Kode but already have powerbox/tuttle and didn't want another different finbox.

2015 Fanatic Freewave CWS feedback 7 years 5 months ago #32

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Yeah, it sucks. I have almost new 28 cm MFC freewave fin with a power base left over from the JP. Have kept it in case I buy a power box board, but now I may put it for sale ...or not. Fins shouldn't be deciding factor for a board choice as much masts shouldn't be for sail choice . Good thing this board comes with a single freewave fin and a tri fin set aswell, so I'll be fine I guess.
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds