Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Is this board any good?

Is this board any good? 8 years 8 months ago #1

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/spo/5149903591.html
Anyone familiar with this boards from 11-12 years ago. Are they fun and can this 112L replace a 100L modern FSW board for the gusty small lake 5.8-5.2 conditions? I want to work on my Duck and Speed gybes on a 3 footstrap setup, but there is no chance of affording a new board any time soon.

Is this board any good? 8 years 8 months ago #2

ady- this board has been on craigslist for at least 2 months.- i was tempted to buy it a few months ago when my 111l board had some major soft spots and i was thinking of replacing the board with this one. I decided against it because the board seemed too narrow compared to my 111 (starboard carve). I fixed the soft spots and am back on the 111carve. Maybe you can ask the seller if you can try it out (since it doesn't seem to be selling quickly)?

Is this board any good? 8 years 8 months ago #3

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Yes it's narrow! 61 cm is as wide as a today's 90L board. And the length -a whopping 264cm! I'm sure the boom hits the deck in a crash. I wonder what the tail width is ?!
Anyway the fun thing is that the owner has seen me at Lake Andrea this Sunday and contacted me on the "other" forum offering me to try it.
My ex JP FSW 93 was a bit like this board-242/60. The tail was sinking in the lulls and that long pointy nose was perching like the Neptune's "shaft" out of the water. It is still worth a try though. Maybe with footstraps and mast foot as forward as possible, I'm curious .
image_2015-08-05.jpg

Is this board any good? 8 years 8 months ago #4

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
The empty slot on my garage wall looks sad, don't you think? ;)
image_2015-08-05-2.jpg

Is this board any good? 8 years 8 months ago #5

• Otto
  • Strong Breeze
I think you pretty much know the answer already. All that length won't help you much when you're planing, and it'll probably drop off a plane more quickly than a similar volume modern shape. On the plus side, that length might make it easier to tack than a modern shape. Similarly the length might help you make better progress through the water when you loose the plane completely.

The extra length will also give the nose extra leverage OVER you - which might not be a big deal if it's a fairly light construction. Also keep that in mind in case of any nose repairs. I've seen some second hand boards that would have been AWESOME deals except a nose buckle had been fixed inexpertly (apparently with concrete).

As long as the board is in decent condition you can't really go to wrong for under $200. It looks like it has $60 worth of nice foot straps and a potentially decent fin. You have other good boars in your quiver - this could be the one you bring out when it gets to rough for everything else.

Is this board any good? 8 years 8 months ago #6

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I decided against it-it will destroy my Starboard symmetry .
Just joking-I don't think it's the right board for me.

Is this board any good? 8 years 8 months ago #7

Ady wrote:
I decided against it-it will destroy my Starboard symmetry .

Ady garage with Kode FreeWave 94
Ady_garage_with_kode_freewave_94_2.jpg

Is this board any good? 8 years 8 months ago #8

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
You are reading my mind Reid :lol:
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds