Thursday, March 28, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: WorldSails 8.5

WorldSails 8.5 8 years 9 months ago #1

• Bob M
  • Gale Force
My WorldSails 8.5 Sail cams are cutting a groove in my mast, see attached photos. How can fix this problem from getting worse?

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image8.jpeg

WorldSails 8.5 8 years 9 months ago #2

• Mike
  • High Wind
Did you consider a single layer of kevlar cloth epoxied over the spots where the cams rub. www.fibreglast.com/product/Kevlar_Tape_531/Kevlar.

WorldSails 8.5 8 years 9 months ago #3

Worldsails are still sold by Sailworld, up in Cape Cod (www.sailworld.com/). For the sail I would give them a call and ask if new Cams might help the situation and, consider batten tension, mast compatibility, etc....

The mast now has a weak spot. Wrapping the area with a couple layers of fiberglass/epoxy that extend above and below the area by a couple of cm may help reinforce the area. A 'poor mans vacuum bagging system" would be to wrap the freshly applied glass/epoxy with overlapping electrical tape. Snug but not too tight. Then allowed to cure. The electrical tape will compress the glass onto the mast/substrate evenly. After the epoxy cures, remove the electrical tape, then lightly sand the epoxy ridges (not the fiberglass) left from the tape. The Kevlar tape material in the previous comment is interesting. Kevlar is tough stuff.

The question on how well this repair will hold is how badly the groves have cut into the vertical mast fibers. If the mast is still working then, there may be hope.
On a side note, I broke my second mast in thirty years last week in the surf zone here in North Myrtle Beach, SC. Very glad I wasn't a couple of miles out in the ocean........ Masts do break. Be careful.

WorldSails 8.5 8 years 9 months ago #4

• Otto
  • Strong Breeze
Bob,

It's difficult to tell from the photo how much damage has been done to your mast. the scratching might not extend past the outer epoxy layer - on a surf board the similar layer is called the 'hot coat' On a mast it's just a thin film of epoxy to fill the weave of the cloth, and protect against abrasion.

1) If the scratches don't cut into the actual carbon or glass cloth, it'd probably be best to fill them with a thin layer of epoxy resin, wait for it to cure, then CAREFULLY sand it flush with the rest of the mast. (you could add a bit of filler to increase abrasion resistance). Eventually the cams may start to wear back through - repeat as needed with the goal of keeping a protective layer of epoxy over that area.

2) Where is the abrasion? That one scratch does look deepish, but if it's the cam below the boom (where the mast doesn't really flex much anyways, it might be better to avoid adding any cloth (carbon, glass or kevlar) and just "recharge" the surface with a layer of epoxy (as in 1 above) even if the scratching cuts into the cloth. If the more serious scratches are above the boom and cut into the cloth (and especially if this a 3 or 4 cam sail with cams well above the boom) you may wish to add cloth carefully. First, however, you should soberly consider the possibility that adding any substantial materials to such a dynamic and highly engineered structure may create additional problems - like brashness at a stiff spot.

It's doubtful adding cloth will recreate the mast's original strength without creating other problems. If the mast hasn't failed yet, I'd focus on trying to maintain a THIN layer of protective "sacrificial" epoxy (maybe with filler) and making sure your cams are in good shape…..

3)…. so that…. REGARDLESS of the extent of the scratches, the first super easy thing you should do is check for irregularities on the surface of the CAM. It looks like it has all sorts of sharp edges and nicks. Eliminate any protrusions from the cam itself with some sandpaper or other abrasives. (new cams as Doug recommended would probably serve the same purpose, but make sure they are smooth too!) Once you've got the surfaces smooth, REALLY clean the cams and then spray with a silicone lubricant (the type for applying to wetsuits would be a safe bet). Also spray it on a dry and clean mast (which will also make the sail a breeze to rig). When rigging make sure the masts and cams don't pick up sand or similar.

In summation: Beyond keeping in mind that your mast might not be 100% (as Doug recommended), I wouldn't worry too much if the worst of those scotches is below the boom as long as you keep it from getting worse and protect any bare glass or carbon fibers (with a thin layer of epoxy . Smooth out those cams and apply a high quality silicone to reduce friction. Doug made a good point about checking whether you might get away with slightly less batten tension as well, but that alone probably won't help too much. Adding cloth might be beneficial, but it could also be detrimental.

Send me a message if you'd like some help with this repair.

WorldSails 8.5 8 years 9 months ago #5

• Otto
  • Strong Breeze
After looking at the pictures again, it looks like that big gouge may be about where the top of the roller hits the mast. maybe the broader surface of the cam has worn away making the roller protrude more than it did originally.

I think Doug's idea to try and get new cams is a good one. All the other recommendations still apply, but either try to get a new cams or, if you can't, reduce the diameter of the rollers, or build the cam contact surface back up.
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds