Thursday, March 28, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: "Safety Gear" Float Vest & Helmets

"Safety Gear" Float Vest & Helmets 8 years 10 months ago #1

Looking for input on float vests: weight, comfort, bang for d buck, things to look for, past good or bad experiences, opinions, etc...
Ditto for helmets.
Thanks!

"Safety Gear" Float Vest & Helmets 8 years 10 months ago #2

I have the Dakine Surface Vest. Works well with a harness.

Dakine Surface Vest
DakineSurfaceVest.jpg

We have other folks using the NP High Hook Vest. Also designed to work well with harness.

NP High Hook Vest www.npsurf.com/products/protective/impact-flotation-vests.html
NeilPrydeHighHook.jpg

Other vests can be found. Basically any vest that doesn't ride up and won't interfere with the harness will work.

I've only used Gath helmets. They come in different colors and variations. I like the visor for sun protection(like on the red one below) Also the ear protection. We had a buddy rupture his eardrum trying forward loops when we were at The Gorge one time.

Gath Helmets www.gathsports.com/
Gath_helmets.jpg

"Safety Gear" Float Vest & Helmets 8 years 10 months ago #3

• Otto
  • Strong Breeze
I use the NP high hook vest. I use a very low hook seat harness, and it isn't really a good match. The vest uses straps that tighten on the side to stay in place - to keep it from riding up. The pressure from the straps isn't really enough to keep it in place and as soon as I hit the water, the vest rides up and floats without me. If the wind has died down and I need the extra float for an easier water start, I hook through the vest with my bar- it gives me the extra float and pulls the vest down, but forces me to hunch until I can unhook the vest (which I have to unhook from harness lines to do). I occasionally use a waist harness, and the hook holds the vest in place comfortably.
If you use a seat harness this might not be the best option - that being said, I've used it for four years and haven't replaced it. It just doesn't stay low enough on my chest (on it's own) to really help keep me high in the water unless my hook passes through the hole (which is very uncomfortable with a low hook position).

"Safety Gear" Float Vest & Helmets 8 years 10 months ago #4

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
If only I wore my impact vest /the 1st pic/ when I should, I wouldn't have cracked ribs twice ! I like to wear it when I don't need to, so I can look like a pregnant turtle in the pictures :lol:
image_2015-05-20.jpg

Btw I recently removed 1 layer of the padding on the back where it is not needed and made it less bulky and tight /there are 3 layers of padding in every bulge/
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds