Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: Sails

Sails 8 years 11 months ago #13

I spent the weekend up in Traverse City at my parents and found some older gear from 1999 on Craigslist. Owner said it was his aunts from Colorado who would visit in the summer so it didn't get much use. It's all in good condition except the woman's harness has some wear on the straps. Here's what I got. 2- Ezzy Axis sails 5.5 & 6.5, and a small Aerotec Fun sail 4.0. Two masts, a 400 for the small sail, not sure who makes it, and a Power Z-Axis 460/25, 70% carbon for the Exxys. One Chinook Epic Gear Aluminum Boom 147-216 and a Chinook Carbon Boom. Two Chinook extensions, one long and one medium an Aboora down hall crank and a one bolt Chinnok universal base. Two Dakine harness's one men's, one women's and an 8' Ezzy Gear bag. After I checked it out the guy said he'd throw in the board also, a Starboard Go board (280x83, 225l) with 2 fins (28x29cm beginners and a 54cm racing fin) Theres no dagger board on this board but it has side fins that can be bolted to the side. Not sure what the technology of the fins was at the time, maybe someone had one of these at the time. I know it's older but for 400.00 I couldn't pass it up. I still need another board but the one he threw in will handle any family members. In the bag were all the original pamphlets for the board, sails, Chinook and the Poerex Masts. My brother dives and gave me a dive suit to try. It might be tight in the shoulders but I'll give it a try, just need something for my feet. Won't be long now!

gear4.jpg

gear3.jpg

gear2.jpg

gear1.jpg

Sails 8 years 11 months ago #14

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
do you want to get rid of harness?

Sails 8 years 11 months ago #15

At this time I'll be hanging on to it since others have suggested trying to get used to it early on during the learning curve, but thanks for asking.

Sails 8 years 11 months ago #16

Just realized the board pix didn't make it. I wanted to show this with the side fin option it came with at that time.
image_2015-05-13.jpg

Sails 8 years 11 months ago #17

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Cool! The board looks really nice! Not sure about those side fins though -if you ever use them make sure they are not sharp, because they might cut you while attempting to climb on the board after a fall for example.

Sails 8 years 11 months ago #18

Or bang your shin on one during a water-start. You don't need those side fins to learn either. Boards like this Go are so stable the days of learning on a board with a dagger board are long gone.

Sails 8 years 11 months ago #19

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
The rest of the equipment looks great too, you've got yourself a pretty sweet deal it seems :) 1999/2000 stuff mostly . I think that blue Dakine Kalama harness is a chest/waist hybrid-nothing wrong with it , just a bit weird with those chest straps that don't realy make sense. Pulley hook, rig winch -all the extras , nice! Those masts and extensions are RDM right?
You may have it on paper, but in case you don't here are the sails rigging instructions for the Ezzy Axis:
www.ezzy.com/allyearsezzys/1999/pdfs/AXIS.PDF

Sails 8 years 11 months ago #20

The Kalama harness fits around the waist with no straps, maybe the view of the pix isn't clear or I just tried in on bass akwards and don't know the difference! LOL No not RDM, didn't get that lucky. The board is really pretty clean, just faded. It has one issue with one of the side fin mountings. He explained that someone stepped on the board in very shallow water and the fin cracked off the side of the board. The screw is SS about an inch long and sort of looks like a wide threaded sheet metal screw that just tightens into the side with a rubber ring to seal it. The good side of the board has the screws and rings installed so I'm assuming that's the only way to seal the hole when the fins are not used unless there was a small plug of some sort. I can see the screws snagging or cutting a suit or knee. They're Phillips head and looks like someone was using a straight blade or wrong size phillips. I'm not sure if I should just fill the good holes and damaged area with silicone, epoxy or fiberglass. I'm looking for opinions and suggestions from anyone that has made a similar type of hole/puncture repair. The outer skin of the board is really thin. Looks like a few 16teenths of an inch, then styrofoam.

image_2015-05-13-2.jpg

image_2015-05-13-4.jpg

image_2015-05-13-3.jpg

Sails 8 years 11 months ago #21

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Darn! I would remove all those side screws and fill the holes up with ding stick and maybe some glass fiber cloth and epoxy on top. Nothing good out of this side fins-only trouble. And yes epoxy boards skin is just that thin and very fragile and most damage gets inflicted while handling out of the water or when slamming the mast on the nose after a catapult -bags and nose protectors help to avoid such incidents to some degree.

Sails 8 years 11 months ago #22

Badda bing! Badda "DING!" Wow that was quick, say good bye to those screws and holes! I guess everyone needs to carry this in the glove box!
Thanks!

Sails 8 years 11 months ago #23

I think wave sails are more curved at the top to support manuverability and loops. Free ride B&J is more user friendly.

Sails 8 years 10 months ago #24

Otto wrote:
I think most people have had the experience of accidentally loosening the base with their feet, hitting a bit of chop and then while at speed, loosing the entire rig.

We saw a guy's single bolt pop out of his mast track in the shore break at Little Sable Point on the Big Lake - a place where you definitely don't want to start drifting north. He somehow on first try got the single bolt base back in the mast track in the shore break and made it in. I showed him the rubber disk trick. That is to put a rubber disk between the board and the base. Try to find a thin rubber disk at the hardware store just slightly bigger than the base. Or cut one out of a square sheet of rubber using the plastic disk that come with most bases as a template . He's never had a any slippage since using one.

Rubber disk with hole for single bolt.
rubber_disk.jpg
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds