Friday, April 19, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Looking for Sail and board repair

Looking for Sail and board repair 8 years 11 months ago #1

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
Not a good day for me yesterday, in terms of equipment. While sailing on 63rd st beach, I fell on my sail with not a lot of force and I ripped my 6.9 Tiger Ezzy. I can't believe it! I have an Ezzy 6.3wave SE for 10 years with several catapults on its resume and the sail still in decent condition with no rips. Since the Tiger is their "budget" sail, I wonder if they use much lower quality materials. Then, to to top it all off, as I coming out I realized that I busted my board's nose too. :angry:
Anyway, does anyone know someone who can fix the board?

Looking for Sail and board repair 8 years 11 months ago #2

Brian Geen posted a photo of a repair he had done on his RRD XFire at Landcraft Marine 13626 S. Cicero Avenue Crestwood, IL

Photo of repair: windsurfillinois.com/index.php/photos/12...umid=38&photoid=1678

Landcraft Marine www.land-craft.com/

Brian Geen also posted he had a sail repair done at North Sails Loft 1665 North Elston Ave Chicago, IL

North Sails Loft www.na.northsails.com/LOFTS/MidwesternLo...d/12624/Default.aspx

He'll have to give you more details on both.

Looking for Sail and board repair 8 years 11 months ago #3

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
It seems we both should take crash lessons then. I'm sure sooner or later I'll break something too. I think catapults trigger now a survival instinct to fall on top of my sail after I almost drowned ones in my second year of windsurfing when I fell under my sail with my harness line twisted. Now I hurt my legs sometimes when they hit the mast or my ribs like yesterday when I hit the boom. I'll start to practice catapulting intentionally to try to get rid of that fear. It will be a good practice for my forward loop ambitions too.
Anyway if you can't find a shop in the city, consider Ralph at Southport Rigging in Kenosha. He repaired 2 of my boards and installed the mast track on my SUP.

Looking for Sail and board repair 8 years 11 months ago #4

Manuel- I think their 'legacy' is their budget sail, but it is still supposed to have same quality materials and workmanship, but who knows. But, my guess is that if you damaged your board too, maybe you hit it harder than you thought, and the sail is not at fault for getting damaged. If not too much trouble, can you post a pic of damage to the Tiger and maybe the board too?

I have an ezzy quiver myself (7.0 freeride, 6.3 tiger, and recently added 5.0 and 5.7 elite ).

Looking for Sail and board repair 8 years 11 months ago #5

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
Thanks for the suggestions and feedback. I will post photos tomorrow

Looking for Sail and board repair 8 years 11 months ago #6

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
Here are the pictures.

rippedsail.jpg

FullSizeRender1.jpg

Looking for Sail and board repair 8 years 11 months ago #7

For your board - I have good experience with RAKA epoxy resin for fiberglass and wooden boards...it is very thin/liquidy and easy to apply...compare to any homedepot fiberglass resin..
www.raka.com/epoxy.html
you can do it yourselve...but it need couple days of work and curing/drying the epoxy...

and so on...
note: he is using quick curing resin for surfboards, it does not work for windsurfboards...you have to use epoxy resin...

Sail repair can be done at Northsail (something around 60 $ or more)
1665 N Elston Ave, Chicago, IL 60642
(773) 489-1308

Looking for Sail and board repair 8 years 11 months ago #8

• Otto
  • Strong Breeze
I can help you with your board repair. I'm on 75th street now, which I think, is pretty close by for you. give me a call: 33 6 six 7 ONE six 4 n ine 7

Looking for Sail and board repair 8 years 11 months ago #9

+1 North Sails on Elston. I've had them do repairs on my former catamaran sails and the repairs came in *way* less than expected. I had specifically mentioned that I didn't want to spend more than $150 given the sail was 30yrs old and I was looking around for replacements. Despite that, they replaced a couple batten end caps I hadn't noticed were dead, restitched a couple fraying seams, and put in chafe strips where the shrouds hit. It came out to $75 or so.

If you don't care about color matching on the board, just DIY.

Dan
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds