Friday, March 29, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: SOLD - Bic Free Formula (+ 2 fins & Board Bag)

SOLD - Bic Free Formula (+ 2 fins & Board Bag) 8 years 11 months ago #1

• Chris
  • Gale Force
SOLD

This is a great all-around board that is suitable for both beginners as well as more experienced riders.

For beginners…. this board has three characteristics that help significantly in learning the sport: 1) generous volume (170 L), 2) ample width (94 cm), and 3) a (custom) center fin. The high volume and width provide plenty of float and stability for newer riders, whereas the center fin (I had the fin box professionally installed) helps newer riders to stay upwind. In addition, I also had the original (shallow) rear trim fin box replaced with a much deeper and stronger deep tuttle fin box. The combination of these two fins (10" Dolphin FCS center fin + a 35 cm True Ames rear fin) will provide newer riders with a solid platform for learning. (In fact, both my wife and kids learned the basics of windsurfing with this set-up, and I still use it when doing lightwind freestyle stuff.) Furthermore, with the custom deep tuttle rear fin, you will have the option of using larger fins as you progress with the sport. In other words, this is a beginner-friendly board that you can use well into the intermediate and advanced stages of windsurfing.

For more seasoned riders…. the board has a formula board shape but, from what I understand, it is much easier to sail than a more technically-oriented formula board. The shape is the identical shape of Bic's Nova series of the early 2000s, but, unlike the Novas, this board has no EVA decking, making the board considerably lighter than the Novas. The board is only 24 lbs, and it does have grip. (I put a new coat of Re-Dek on last year). As I mention above, I had a professional install two new custom fin boxes to improve the board's overall performance. The first add on is a center fin box (US box) so that I could teach my wife and kids. The second is a deep tuttle rear fin box. (For some strange reason, Bic initially put trim fin boxes in these boards, but within a few years replaced them with the more reliable deep tuttle boxes). I've used this board both for light-wind blasting (I can get planing with my 8.5 and 9.5 sails well before there are any whitecaps ) as well as for lightwind freestyle stuff.

For reviews of the board, see here and also here.

All told… this is a very durable and user-friendly board that can be used at multiple levels of windsurfing. The only reason I'm selling it is that I would like to get a more dedicated SUP shaped-board for the family.

The details…

For Sale:

1 Board: 2002 Bic Techno Free Formula, 170L, 267x93, weight: ~24 lbs., with two custom fin boxes (footstraps not included)
1 Center Fin: Dolphin FCS 10"
1 Rear Fin: True Ames 35 cm, deep tuttle
1 Board Bag: Epic Gear Day Wall Bag (270x100) (a bag in this size runs around $150 new)

I'm selling these four items for $700.

In addition to the above items, I also have:

- a 68 cm (26.75") Curtis deep tuttle fin - $100
- a 54 cm Tectonics Maui Talon (G-10) deep tuttle fin (never been used) - $100

Not sure the best way include pics on this forum, so I'll try to attach some here....

IMG_2136.jpg

IMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2138.jpg

IMG_2139.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

For Sale - Bic Free Formula (+ 2 fins & Board Bag) 8 years 11 months ago #2

• Otto
  • Strong Breeze
What's the construction?

For Sale - Bic Free Formula (+ 2 fins & Board Bag) 8 years 11 months ago #3

• Otto
  • Strong Breeze
Can you tell me anything else about the board's history. Apart from the modifications you mentioned, have there been any damages or repairs made?

I'd like to take a look at the board in person; are you near chicago?

For Sale - Bic Free Formula (+ 2 fins & Board Bag) 8 years 11 months ago #4

• Chris
  • Gale Force
Sure thing, Otto. Would be happy to show you the board in person. Ralph at Southport Rigging put in the new fin boxes for me. I live in Evanston and will send you a PM so we can coordinate a time for you to see it.
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds