Friday, March 29, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: Cold weather wetsuits - what is the best?

Cold weather wetsuits - what is the best? 9 years 3 weeks ago #13

The discussion on wet suits and forearm fatigue. Just a tip:

When you make fist, or form a tight grip, notice how the width of your hand will spread wider at the major knuckles. If while making a fist with your gloves on, it takes significant more effort to stretch the glove between the 'major knuckles'. The major muscles in the forearm are connected to tendons, through the wrist (carpal tunnel) and, onto the fingers. So, if your gloves are too tight, this will contribute to forearm fatigue. I've never worn the open palm mittens but, they look nice.

As for waiting for ice to melt to go sailing, maybe (if time permits) a road trip could help:

www.accuweather.com/en/us/south-padre-is...march-weather/341034

Cold weather wetsuits - what is the best? 9 years 3 weeks ago #14

I have O'neil mutant. I love the fact you can zip off the hoodie when it is not needed. I've been looking at Promotion wetsuits for a while and might buy one from them once my O'neil dies. Meanwhile I'm about to order Promotion exo skin top . It can be worn over or under a wetsuit, significantly increasing warmth according to reviews I've read.

I've seen quite a few Chicago windsurfers wear Dakine Surface vest but never had a chance to talk to them about it. Do you guys wear it for impact protection, warmth or buoyancy?

Cold weather wetsuits - what is the best? 9 years 3 weeks ago #15

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
All of the 3 Stefan, but keep in mind that they run small. I'm a size M guy and I bought L but it's still too tight on me
/and no pockets:(/ . The skin top you purchased does a better job IMO and it doesn't add weight.

Cold weather wetsuits - what is the best? 9 years 3 weeks ago #16

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
The Pro Motion skin wetsuits look good indeed! I'll definitely consider the 4/3 Spirit the next time I'm shopping for a wetsuit. The lifetime warranty on the seams is a big plus!
www.wetsuit.com/New_Windsurf_Series.html
The "Exo" tops can be worn over a regular wetsuit as a windchill protection.
PS: Next to an NP the ProMotion look like a Chevy next to a BMW :lol: Seams issues or not when the time comes, I know I'll go for the BMW...again-can't help it :(
www.isthmussailboards.com/Windsurfing-WetsuitsMens/products/25/

Cold weather wetsuits - what is the best? 9 years 3 weeks ago #17

I have Oneil Boost full body drysuit. It was my the best purchase in windsurfing so far. I was usually cold in wetsuit and the forearm fatigue and freezing hands took me out of water soon tired and cold.
The drysuit is easy in and easy out, it keeps me very comfortable, and I can stay on water as long as I want, my hands are also not cold that soon. The cold is only if you stay in water too long. Once you are back on board it is windproof and warm again. I wear fourth element drybase or you can wear any fleece or so. After 2-3 hrs session it buid up some moisture inside and some small leak around leg gaskets, but that does not bother me. With warm boots and neoprene hat it is great combination for any not ice covered lake.

Cold weather wetsuits - what is the best? 9 years 3 weeks ago #18

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Hi Rich, hope to see you soon pal! The Boost is definitely a great option. Total protection from windchill and flushing and not much weight. And a good price too:
www.amazon.com/ONeill-Wetsuits-2054-Boost-Drysuit/dp/B001MTEPHW
I know some guys have the Assault hybrid and are happy with it too. No idea wich one is better and how they compare to the full neoprene ones like the Fuse:
www.gorgesurfshop.com/wetsuit/ion-men-fuse-drysuit-43

Cold weather wetsuits - what is the best? 9 years 2 weeks ago #19

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
The Ianovated wetsuits solve the cold hands problem on top of combining smoot skin and drysuit properties:
shop.wind-nc.com/collections/frontpage/p...th-tubes-and-mittens
image_2015-03-08.jpg

PS: Btw if they replace the pipe mouthpiece with something else...cough...you could warm your hands by farting instead :lol:

Cold weather wetsuits - what is the best? 9 years 2 weeks ago #20

• Otto
  • Strong Breeze
I have a O'Neil Heat 4/3mm. The chest and upper back are smooth panel, and the rest is double lined jersey. I can fit a 2mm vest underneath the 4/3 and I'm comfy down to near-freeezing conditions - the vest keeps my core warm without adding a lot of movement restriction. That suit is just so damn tuff, and nicely flexible that the lack of smooth skin is acceptable. On very cold light wind days, it's all I need. On very cold 5.0 days I have a smooth skin suit I pull out.

O'neil also makes the heat, in a 6/5/4 hooded version. I think the retail on the hooded is $300. Not super cheap, but I've found the durability and warmth of the 4/3 to be very impressive. Not a real fancy suit - no extra features, not super light, but warm and impressively durable.

I think the durability of a non-smooth-skin wetsuit combined with something like the exoskin would be a good choice.

At the end of last season I purchased an Ocean Rodeo Wetsuit. It was the kind that looks like a two piece. It was super easy to get on and off, and was well made. I had issues with some of the non-crucial stitching (the part that looks like jacket is an extra liner that does not need to be water proof). I tend to sweat quite a bit, and all my insulation layers would get wet and then conduct heat right into the water. My legs especially would get cold quick and start to cramp. I think the suit may have worked well for other folks, but it didn't work for me (didn't feel safe in cold water).
Ocean Rodeo Customer service was AWESOME! Check their site. In the end I sent the suit back and got a full refund after using it two or three times. They understood that you might have to try something a couple times before you can know if it works. As mentioned, my suit did have other stitching issues that did not affect the water-tightness, but I think they would have accepted a return even had it not.

Cold weather wetsuits - what is the best? 8 years 10 months ago #21

I agree I have had great luck with O'Neill suits and Liesure pro sports, who have a free fit garantee.
www.leisurepro.com/p-onlm43m/oneill-mens...w-fullsuit-with-hood
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds