Friday, April 19, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Starboard Kode 86 vs JP FSW 92 2012/13

Starboard Kode 86 vs JP FSW 92 2012/13 9 years 2 months ago #13

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Don't know -never been on 86, but I'm tempted to find out. I can use it as a weight controll tool aswell-a double duty of a sort ;) I wish it had a power box though-I have a 1/2 season old 28cm Freewave that I'll have to sell now .

Starboard Kode 86 vs JP FSW 92 2012/13 9 years 2 months ago #14

Power Box Fin..... ??

Hmmm??
This is an interesting board: www.naishsails.com/product/starship-90/
But, it may be good to try it first in the 90 liter size. I think they can be rented at the Gorge (Big Winds) or, maybe Fond du Lac, WI : www.windpowerwindsurfing.com/
It will be interesting to see what you decide.

"Sail the width, schlog the volume..."
doug

Starboard Kode 86 vs JP FSW 92 2012/13 9 years 2 months ago #15

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Douglas King wrote:
Power Box Fin..... ??

Hmmm??
This is an interesting board: www.naishsails.com/product/starship-90/
But, it may be good to try it first in the 90 liter size. I think they can be rented at the Gorge (Big Winds) or, maybe Fond du Lac, WI : www.windpowerwindsurfing.com/
It will be interesting to see what you decide.

"Sail the width, schlog the volume..."
doug
It looks good Doug no question, but can you get it cheap somewhere ?

Starboard Kode 86 vs JP FSW 92 2012/13 9 years 2 months ago #16

Ady- Where did you find the prices for this used gear? The vela link above doesn't show prices. I was fortunate to sail in Jeri about 10years ago- it really is a cool place (outside of the windsurfing). That gear does take a beating there, lots of waves and hi wind. BTW-secondwindmaui has some used low volume boards for sale too.

Starboard Kode 86 vs JP FSW 92 2012/13 9 years 2 months ago #17

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Palan schmid wrote:
Ady- Where did you find the prices for this used gear? The vela link above doesn't show prices. I was fortunate to sail in Jeri about 10years ago- it really is a cool place (outside of the windsurfing). That gear does take a beating there, lots of waves and hi wind. BTW-secondwindmaui has some used low volume boards for sale too.
At Windance Alan:
www.windance.com/Used-Gear-Used-Windsurf-Boards/
I check 2nd wind also and they actually have 2013 RRDs 90L wood for 595$ right now.
And how about the versatility of the single/thruster vs single fin only on a FSW board? Is it irrelevant for the Big Lake?

Starboard Kode 86 vs JP FSW 92 2012/13 9 years 2 months ago #18

Aye, there be the rub......

These boards are new last year. People that have sailed them, me included, have good things to say about them. So far, the few used ones I've seen get snapped up.

Mine is a 2014 115 liter (65.6 cm wide) that is great with a 7.0 and 5.8 in the ocean. It's nice to have the volume when the winds die down and the toothy ones are about. Although, it also comes in the 100 liter size, the next size down would be 90 liters with a width of 59.7 cm (23.5 inches). I'm wondering how the 90 liter version would do in 4.0 to 4.2 meter conditions (we weigh about the same). I suspect in full on 4.0 to 4.2 conditions the 59.7 width may be too bouncy.... Maybe with a nice 7.75 inch (19 cm), G-10, T/A Enduro fin and, 80 degree air temps.....?? But, I digress...........

doug

Starboard Kode 86 vs JP FSW 92 2012/13 9 years 2 months ago #19

Ady,

Here are a few good Used equipment shops:

secondwindmaui.com/index.php/our-products/used/windsurfing.html
www.windance.com/Used-Gear/
www.bigwinds.com/wind/demo
www.iwindsurf.com/classifieds.iws

Also, are the many good windsurfing clubs and their occasional swap meets across the country. Best pickings for newer equipment is usually when the new year equipment becomes available. Usually starting in the Fall going into the Winter/Spring. But, equipment always "pops up". Just gotta know what you're after and stay vigilant. And, network with others. That said, I'll keep my eyes open. On another note, What are your thoughts on the Exocet Silver Cross (uses PowerBox)? The 94 liter has been sold but, curious on your opinion?

www.worldwinds.net/index.php?page=pages/specials.html

Aloha
doug

Starboard Kode 86 vs JP FSW 92 2012/13 9 years 2 months ago #20

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Douglas King wrote:
Aye, there be the rub......

These boards are new last year. People that have sailed them, me included, have good things to say about them. So far, the few used ones I've seen get snapped up.

Mine is a 2014 115 liter (65.6 cm wide) that is great with a 7.0 and 5.8 in the ocean. It's nice to have the volume when the winds die down and the toothy ones are about. Although, it also comes in the 100 liter size, the next size down would be 90 liters with a width of 59.7 cm (23.5 inches). I'm wondering how the 90 liter version would do in 4.0 to 4.2 meter conditions (we weigh about the same). I suspect in full on 4.0 to 4.2 conditions the 59.7 width may be too bouncy.... Maybe with a nice 7.75 inch (19 cm), G-10, T/A Enduro fin and, 80 degree air temps.....?? But, I digress...........
Here is your answer Doug:
www.naishsails.com/product/global-m/
I realy think you should be looking at multi fins for high wind ocean sailing.

Starboard Kode 86 vs JP FSW 92 2012/13 9 years 2 months ago #21

Wowzer! That is a 'sweet' board.
The video at that site page shows the kind of conditions I like.... a lot....
Can you imagine that board with a 4.7 or 5.2 2010 Ezzy Wave Panther II (my two favorite sails)?
Well, you've got me thinking.............
It may just be time to replace my 'vintage' Donny Bowers, "Hatteras Sandwich", 85 liter B&J.

Gotta start saving pennies and start spring training. Maybe a used one will turn up this Fall?

doug

Starboard Kode 86 vs JP FSW 92 2012/13 9 years 2 months ago #22

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Dang, I wish I had the money! The board that I want, the fin setup that I want and even the color that I want ...sigh...gotta wait :(
www.star-board-windsurfing.com/2015/news...ahrbuch-germany-2014

Starboard Kode 86 vs JP FSW 92 2012/13 9 years 2 months ago #23

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Hey Reid, did you replace the Freemove with the 108 or you had them both at the time but the Freemove didn't see much TOW?

Starboard Kode 86 vs JP FSW 92 2012/13 9 years 2 months ago #24

Ady wrote:
Hey Reid, did you replace the Freemove with the 108 or you had them both at the time but the Freemove didn't see much TOW?

Yes, I replaced it. The RRD Firemove 110 (2011) with its wide tail was way to big for me. It has the planing power of an older 135+L. Not a board I would want to sail on Lake Michigan or do freestyle on. It's best suited for 7.5+ conditions on inland lakes. After a ton of research I settled on the RRD FSW 108 (2013). I was shocked by its performance. I feel the RRD 2012 / 2013 FSWs are special. It might be quite awhile before you see FSWs that wide for their volumes again. I feel like I should give my 108 its own review topic, I like it that much. I got an Ezzy Tiger 6.9 for it. One of the biggest, lightest , shortest boom length wave sails out there. And my Ezzy Tiger 5.8 works great on it too.

RRD FSW 108 (2013)
FSW_108_LTD.jpg

The RRD FSW 108 (2013) has not the schlog, but the planing power, of a RRD FSW 120 (2009). They are both 68 cm at their widest. But more importantly IMO is their tail widths are the same. Check it out.

RRD FSW 120 (2009) for comparison.
RRD_fsw_120.jpg

Custom photo I made. RRD FSW 108 (2013) on top of a RRD FSW 120 (2009). The RRD FSW 108 (2013) is made transparent. They are both 68 cm at their widest. And note their tail widths are dead on.
rrd_120_108_fsw.jpg

I can just up-haul the 6.9 on the RRD FSW 108 (2013). It has the rail thinness of my RRD FSW 95 L (2009). And can rip a turn and eat rough water.

Boom! Testing the 5.8 on it at the West Side launch at Clinton. The roughest most unorganized water on Clinton can be found here.
West_Side_5_19_2014005.jpg

Probably more than you wanted. :lol: We're getting off your topic. Somebody talk about high wind tri fins.
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds