Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Starboard Kode 86 vs JP FSW 92 2012/13

Starboard Kode 86 vs JP FSW 92 2012/13 9 years 2 months ago #1

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I pretty much decided for myself, but to keep the discussion going and to clear some little doubts that I might still have I'm asking you for your opinion on those 2 boards in case you've tryed them somewhere . To refresh your memory -the JP 92s were extra short 228cm and with thrusters already and the Kode 86s were 2cm longer then and still single fin. I'm looking at the carbon construction. Thanks.

Starboard Kode 86 vs JP FSW 92 2012/13 9 years 2 months ago #2

One dimension between the two boards you might want to look at, which I think is the most critical of any board is the tail width(width 30cm up from tail). That gives a good rough idea of a board's planning power to its rail to rail ability. Rocker, concaves/V, rail thinness are all then added on top.

We do know that the JP 92 will give you a little more than 13 lbs of extra float over the Kode 86 for schlogging. Volume in the 90s and up for most folks is where the ability to uphaul and schlog tack sits. Less and it's how badly one drifts down wind and the strain on your arms for your weight when off plane. As far as planing, that will mostly come down to the tail widths of the boards. Once a board is on plane its volume is dead weight.

I don't know the tail width of the JP but let's look at the tail of the tape.

Kode Freestyle Wave 86 (2012)
Volume: 86
Length: 234
Width: 58.9
Tail width: 38.4
Fin: Recommended fin range 14-26cm US base

kode86.jpg

JP Freestyle Wave 92 (2013)
Volume: 92
Length: 228
Width: 60
Tail width: ?
Fin: 25cm Power Box - 2x Side Fin 10 (MT)

p_freestylewave_pro2.jpg

I haven't sailed the Kode or JP boards but for comparison my RRD FSW 95 (2009) has a tail width of 38.3cm (width 30cm up from tail). It's never tail walked even in 4.2 conditions and I can uphaul it and schlog tack it. It's my workhorse for 5.8 and down. For marginal 5.8, and 6.9 sails I switch to my RRD FSW 108 with tail width of 41cm (width 30cm up from tail).

Starboard Kode 86 vs JP FSW 92 2012/13 9 years 2 months ago #3

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Good point Reid. Unfortunately JP don't post the tail widths :(, the reviews praise it as an early planer so I guess it should be wide enough . I was actually more interested to learn about the ride comfort espatially below 5.8. My now ex JP 93 was a bit harsh, bouncy and not much pop and my current AtomIQ is the most comfortable board I ever had, not espatially early planer, but amasingly controllable for its 75cm width with 5.8-they are 7 years apart and very different beasts though.
Btw what size and model fin are you using with 4.2 and how heavy are you, if you don't mind?
PS: in case you are wondering why exactly those 2 boards out of many other good ones, the answer is price. I'm planing to get one of those Vela Jery ex-rentals and you can check out the selection here:
www.velawindsurf.com/html/pages/destinat...acoara/equipment.php

Starboard Kode 86 vs JP FSW 92 2012/13 9 years 2 months ago #4

• Mike
  • High Wind
Ady,

Here's some more 2 cents for you. I sailed the 100liter Kode and liked it very much for early planing and easy control in the waves. (At 93kilos I cannot uphaul a 100 liter board so maybe this compares to you with 86liter).

I also have the RRD FSW, which I think is maybe a very tiny bit faster that the Kode but also less turny on the waves.

What did you decide?

Starboard Kode 86 vs JP FSW 92 2012/13 9 years 2 months ago #5

Ady wrote:
I was actually more interested to learn about the ride comfort espatially below 5.8. My now ex JP 93 was a bit harsh, bouncy...

Be good to know the tail width of your ex JP 93. To add to the comfort would be smaller tail width, tail rocker, V, and thick cushy pads. My RRD FSW 108L, 68 width, (2013) is a more comfortable ride than my ex RRD FSW 101L, 62 width, (2006) because of a smaller tail width, more tail rocker, and more V, and can rip a better harder turn and not skip out.

Ady wrote:
Btw what size and model fin are you using with 4.2 and how heavy are you...?

I use a MFC Freewave 31cm in 5.8 to 4.2 . I like the up wind power for jumps and fighting current on Lake Michigan. I have a MFC Freewave 27cm for raging 4.2 and 3.7. I weigh 175lbs.

I use a 34cm MFC K-One FR(love it) for the RRD FSW 108 for 5.8 and 6.9 sails. I kept my 44cm MFC RC2 I used on the ex Firemove 110. Folks are placing bets if it will work on the RRD FSW 108 with a 6.9 for some real skunk busting.

If you like a board, or don't like a board for a given wind speed, what was the tail width, tail rocker, and V.

Starboard Kode 86 vs JP FSW 92 2012/13 9 years 2 months ago #6

• Brian
  • Fresh Breeze
Reid, I use a 40 cm fin on my RRD FSW111 with a 7.5 and it works great.

Starboard Kode 86 vs JP FSW 92 2012/13 9 years 2 months ago #7

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Mike wrote:
Ady,

Here's some more 2 cents for you. I sailed the 100liter Kode and liked it very much for early planing and easy control in the waves. (At 93kilos I cannot uphaul a 100 liter board so maybe this compares to you with 86liter).

I also have the RRD FSW, which I think is maybe a very tiny bit faster that the Kode but also less turny on the waves.

What did you decide?
The Kode is on top of my list Mike, but the JP has great reviews also so why not give it a consideration too.

Starboard Kode 86 vs JP FSW 92 2012/13 9 years 2 months ago #8

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Wow those are big fins Reid, but obviously you don't have control issues below 5.8 with a 95L board and a 27cm fin and you are the same weight like me. It seems to me that your 2 boards are overlapping a bit too much though, don't you think?! For that same reason I'm considering the 86 instead of the 94 but I'm risking a bit right?!

Starboard Kode 86 vs JP FSW 92 2012/13 9 years 2 months ago #9

Ady wrote:
It seems to me that your 2 boards are overlapping a bit too much though, don't you think?!

My RRD FSW 95 (2009) and RRD FSW 108 (2013) just overlap with the 5.8 sail. For solid 5.8 I use the 95 for marginal 5.8 I use the 108. And from there they part ways. This is the best setup I've ever had. 3.7 to 6.9 with one boom. And 2 boards from liquid smoke gusts to glass lulls.

Ady wrote:
Wow those are big fins Reid, but obviously you don't have control issues below 5.8 with a 95L board and a 27cm fin and you are the same weight like me.

It takes hints of liquid smoke 4.2 and down wind to make me drop to the MFC Freewave 27cm. Actually you're 10 lbs lighter than me.

Starboard Kode 86 vs JP FSW 92 2012/13 9 years 2 months ago #10

Ady wrote:
Good point Reid. Unfortunately JP don't post the tail widths :(, ...

Here you go, Ady, I found the tail width for the JP FSW 92 (2013) . It's in image form in the nice review by the Clones. The tail width is 37.9cm

boards.mpora.com/equipment-tests/tested-...#ut0sYFZtlvipf5GB.97

"Adrian Jones and his test Clones test out the next board in the 2013 freewave test, the JP Australia Freestyle Wave."

Screen-Shot_JP_FSW_92_tail_width.png

Nice shot of the JP Freestyle Wave 2013, tri-fin setup
JP_FSW_tri_fin_2013.jpg

Brian wrote:
Reid, I use a 40 cm fin on my RRD FSW111 with a 7.5 and it works great.

Thanks, Brian, I'll have to try mine.

Starboard Kode 86 vs JP FSW 92 2012/13 9 years 2 months ago #11

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
So what do me make out of 0.5 cm difference ?
Ha ha, my old weight has etched itself in my brain-probably because I hated it so much :lol: Man it takes a lot of effort to shed 10lbs, I don't know how people loose 100!!!
I also use 40cm LiquidPro with my 7.5 it's a good size .

Starboard Kode 86 vs JP FSW 92 2012/13 9 years 2 months ago #12

Ady wrote:
So what do me make out of 0.5 cm difference ?

Not much. :lol:

Do you want to be on 86L or 92L when you schlog?
Time to create page: 0.284 seconds