Thursday, March 28, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: SE Wed. 9/20 in Sheboygan

SE Wed. 9/20 in Sheboygan 6 years 6 months ago #1

An other SE day tomorrow in Sheb. Looks like a stronger than usual afternoon thermal. Maybe will hold its promise. I plan on taking 1/2 a day off just for that!
Again, the very south end of south beach should be the best area unless the shore break becomes hard to manage.

IMG_0614.png

IMG_0615.png

You_Doodle_2017-09-19T13_53_23Z.jpg

SE Wed. 9/20 in Sheboygan 6 years 6 months ago #2

• Jake
  • High Wind
I'm watching this one as well. I'm hoping to be there around 1 PM if the forecast holds. Looks like it could be a fun day!

SE Wed. 9/20 in Sheboygan 6 years 6 months ago #3

Well, that didn't turn out as expected, isn't it? At least for me, this has to be one of the most deceiving forecast of the season.

SE Wed. 9/20 in Sheboygan 6 years 6 months ago #4

Agreed! There were a few disappointed guys at Lake Andrea today also.

SE Wed. 9/20 in Sheboygan 6 years 6 months ago #5

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Same situation at Waukegan where we ended up going with my wife. Wind was light and instead of SE it blew from S to SSW . There were several kiters, a formula and a foil guys and everyone was struggling, including me in the shore break. Btw the place produces significant waves even in such a light wind and I succeeded in dinging my windsup's deck in a washout when the mast protector detached and I guess the mast hit the deck badly.
This is my first time at this place and I really liked it except the road leading to it and the long walk from the parking lot. Otherwise the beach is a nice size and the jetty is very low and doesn't obstruct the wind.

SE Wed. 9/20 in Sheboygan 6 years 6 months ago #6

Was going to keep this one for myself but since you're at it, I also got a ding on the Atom again in almost exactly the same circumstances as you.. was coming back to shore after 40 painful minutes trying to get on a plane. The shore break was 1 to 1.5 footers at most but the swell out-there had to be close to 5 feet deep at times. Anyhow, closer to shore, I had to get off the board before the first sand bar (because of fin size) and while swimming to shore in between, I got the board picked up by a breaking wave where the water is deeper and inflicted the same damage to the one I just repaired, but this time on the other side! No need to be jealous: each rails have now their fair share of dings and cracks! Man, I was pest when I saw that.
I don't mind dings as long as the are the consequences of an awesome day on the water (or the results of a failed forward loops or 15 foot jump, ha!), but not like this. Dumb... I should have kept the sail more powered up to drag me to shore faster and to stay in control.

BTW, do you have a few pics of the beach at Waukegan?

SE Wed. 9/20 in Sheboygan 6 years 6 months ago #7

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Yikes! Don't you feel like in the water our ability to think clearly is being severely impaired?! It may be just me, but in wave environment I feel like a total beginner /which I am more or less/ and the prospect of destroying a lot of my gear prematurely now looks painfully real :( No wonder that wave sails are so much more reinforced and SD masts are not a good idea. What is not designed to be used in waves gets damaged easily in them and wide flat boards are especially susceptible it seems. I can imagine what such impacts would do to a recessed deck slalom board like the Isonic!
It could be the curse of 2017 aswell-me and you seem to be greatly affected! Will you believe me if I tell you that I bruised my right side ribs while padding on the flat like a pancake Lake Andrea on Labor Day! So silly, it will impair my windsurfing for months now.
My windsup is now hanging upside down with a fan pointed at the gash. I'll wait till the water stops dripping from it and seems to be dry and Ill just patch it up with a "Ding stick" . Im sure there will be more damage soon so why boder with a quality fix?

SE Wed. 9/20 in Sheboygan 6 years 6 months ago #8

Sorry but LOL for the rib! Welcome to the club of half-broken sailers. More seriously, I hope it will heal fast.
Impaired? Totally. And not just in the water. I could easily hear some say "look at this idiot wrecking this beautiful and pricey piece of equipment every time he goes out". That would be fair. I think the next step in this debacle would be to lose the board on the highway driving to my favorite wrecking spot. That would be something.
Oh well, I'm just a newbie...

New damage already fixed... just needs some paint and non-skid. If this continues, I'll start getting pretty good at this and might open for business!

IMG_0619.jpg

SE Wed. 9/20 in Sheboygan 6 years 6 months ago #9

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Good thing you got away with only a crack! It is a serious cavitation on my Windsup, because the skin is less reinforced then the skin of a windsurfing board . So far I've removed the cracked pieces with some of the foam underneath and now I'll be waiting for the water to drip away and dry out . Without a vacuum system some will surely stay inside, but hopefully minimal after the gravity and the fan remove most of it. Then I'll patch it up and may glue some padding on top as well. Hopefully I have some cutaway pieces left somewhere.
Probably it's a good idea if you let the board sit overnight with the damaged place facing down before sealing it up in case some water has penetrated.
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds