Friday, March 29, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: SSE Friday and Saturday

SSE Friday and Saturday 6 years 6 months ago #13

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Ah so it's been you -the lone big sail blasting among the kites! Sorry, I didn't recognize it. If you had one of your Ezzy's I would have looked close for sure.
This was my first time in Sheboygan, my reconnaissance mission of sorts and after surveying the area I decided on that launch because the waves looked the highest there. This year my priority is wave riding so I didn't even bring my flat water kit. It would have been a shame to sail it on my first visit to the wave capital of the Midwest after all :ohmy:
I had a great time with the windsup and the slow pace allowed me to better understand the tactical part of wave riding ,so I believe I've made some progress.
Btw this Wednesday looks like it may get pretty good in Sheboygan with the same wind direction like on Saturday, but stronger winds! I wish I didn't promise my wife to take her to the beach otherwise I might have made the trip again.
I PMed you my cell #

SSE Friday and Saturday 6 years 6 months ago #14

Ha! Yes that was me (big NP yellow/green sail).
BTW, I also started to play with small rig and my big board in no planing conditions to better understand and practice rig handling. This is very useful and I'm learning a ton!
Just so you know, when sailing in Sheb in SE conditions, it is rather best to not launch from the north launch on South beach as theres not much room to move before you're getting stuck near the jetty. Also waves on the south side of the beach are as big and you can go downwind on the swell for longer distances. The guys I know that like wave riding here from time to time will do that. However if you come here on a big NE day, the North launch on south beach is perfect and will get you ridding big swell as soon as you are 150 yards out in the bay!

Maybe you should come over to Sheboygan tomorrow with your wife anyway... the beach is just perfect here! (Near Kings Park)
I'll get you my cell shortly as well.

SSE Friday and Saturday 6 years 6 months ago #15

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Launching from the right spot is imperative when sailing a small board indeed, thanks for sharing them. With the Windsup you need a very little room though and what matters most for me personally is the height of the breaking waves. My windsup is on the smaller side at 9' and I need bigger breaking waves to be able to catch them and I can't ride the swell with it because it's too slow and swells are too fast and not steep enough. Those are some of the facts about it I've learned just recently from my last two windsuping sessions at Greenwood and Sheboygan, so plainly I have to catch up a lot in the windsup department. What I'm doing with it is probably better described as "sailsurfing" , because wind plays a lesser role in it then the braking wave.
How not to fall in love with windsurfing I wonder?! It may look all the same to an outsider, but in reality it's so diverse and adaptive to different conditions, skills and personalities like no other water sport I believe.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds