Thursday, March 28, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: Michigan City Tips? 8/4

Michigan City Tips? 8/4 6 years 7 months ago #1

• Greg S
  • Strong Breeze
The forecast looks like it could be good Friday afternoon at Michigan City (Washington Park Beach) with forecast for.....West winds around 20 mph. forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=iw...uct=SRF&issuedby=iwx

I haven't sailed this site.... Anyone familiar with this spot have any tips? Or confirmation that it could be good?

Michigan City Tips? 8/4 6 years 7 months ago #2

Greg- MC should be very good tomorrow. The earlier the better- wsw is a very good direction (sideshore), but when it starts to clock around w , to wnw, then it can get closed out pretty quickly. Shore break will get bigger as the day progresses, so if you are not experienced with that, then earlier is better too. I am driving up in the early morning from northside chicago, and hope to be on the water by 9 am or so. (look for the silver honda pilot with illinois plates; sailing Ezzy sails).

www.glerl.noaa.gov//metdata/mcy/
this meter is at the pier at MC- pretty accurate-

Washington park is the spot. There is a small parking fee during the summer. Just head straight in toward the lake, you should see the kites (kitesurfers) flying.

its blowing 22kn ssw right now at MC..........:)

Michigan City Tips? 8/4 6 years 7 months ago #3

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I'm in too.

Michigan City Tips? 8/4 6 years 7 months ago #4

You guys should have a pretty good day.

Michigan City from the Weather page.
MC_8_04_2017_PF.png

SailFlow Southern Lake Michigan
MC_8_04_2017_10.jpg
MC_8_04_2017_1.jpg

30.forecast_2017-08-03-3.gif

Michigan City Tips? 8/4 6 years 7 months ago #5

• Greg S
  • Strong Breeze
Is Miller Beach or Lake St Beach in Gary... less likely to get closed out? Seems like it is slightly closer and maybe better with West / WNW?

Michigan City Tips? 8/4 6 years 7 months ago #6

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Greg I'll go to Wolf if I were you-Lake Michigan in stronger wind is very hard. I may come to Wolf aswell btw.

Michigan City Tips? 8/4 6 years 7 months ago #7

Post how it was when you get back.

10:30 am Michigan City cam from Weather > Northern Weather
MC_1030.jpg

MC_arrow_8_04_2017_1030.png
MC_8_4_2017.png

Michigan City Tips? 8/4 6 years 7 months ago #8

Yeah, I don't want to hear how good it was, but I do.
My cat attacked my bare leg last night and instead of heading to MC this morning I was heading to the doctor. All swollen and sore and red.
I love animals, but this cat is really pushing the limit this time... :angry:
Awesome picture Reid!
Drew

Michigan City Tips? 8/4 6 years 7 months ago #9

• Greg S
  • Strong Breeze
Thanks for all the tips...

I hit Wolf Lake this morning (which I had never sailed before) which was a bit up and down but sailed for a while on 5.5 sail and then needed to move up to 6.6... Seems like it was stronger on Lake Michigan at sites like Miller Beach and Michigan City.

Anyone have feedback on Michigan City? I was worried about surf break being closed out but that photo posted made it look good..

Michigan City Tips? 8/4 6 years 7 months ago #10

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Man, that old age ...and other negative factors...I thought I was replying to Gary when I suggested Wolf :blush:
Greg S are you the guy with the Flex?
Anyway, went to Wolf because I had to work that evening and as Greg S said it wasn't great, but it was ok. The typical Wolf thing-up and down-worse compared to a good SW wind. Started with 5.7/94 and then switched to 6.5/110. Did a bit of tuition with Gary too. More or less I had my weekly fix.
Gary coming in :
IMG_2123.jpg

Michigan City Tips? 8/4 6 years 7 months ago #11

• Greg S
  • Strong Breeze
Yep...

Michigan City Tips? 8/4 6 years 7 months ago #12

Michigan city 29-33kn all day long, with plenty o 35kn gusts.

I rigged 4.5 (i weigh 140lb) with 88liter and I was overpowered most of the time. Lots Lots of fun. 4 windsurfers, and 4-10kite on the water).
Mostly Chicago sailors! (myself, Waveseeker Andrew, Mike M, little bird (nickname!), and Henry from St. Jo) There was a special event at the beach this weekend (very cool power race boats ) and so the main lot was closed making things a bit more work to get gear to the beach (boats not racing till sunday. I hit the water at around 10am, and shorebreak was 2-5ft, with about 6 sets of breakers. The offshore rolling swell was typically huge, like 10-15ft in places. Water was warm, but i still wore 3/2 full and still got windchilled when not on water

I ws on and off till about 3:30, then took an hour break. The wind by then started to shift wnw which is a bit onshore, and it was tough to get out then. I drifted/got pummelled from the pier all the way past to the parking lot trying to get out, before deciding to call it a day. I was on the beach at sunset, and overnighted in MC, to go surfing in the morning. There was still 3-6ft waves to surf most of the day saturday. Plus the power boats were practicing offshore, running parallel to shore at full speed....i felt like i was in a miami vice episode (the older series! )....pretty cool actually! MC is a great place, sunset views of chicago are often spectacular, but definately experts only in regards to dealing with shore break if winds are over 25kn.

20170804_195905_HDR.jpg

20170804_195142.jpg

20170804_195100_HDR.jpg

20170804_194322.jpg

20170804_190813.jpg

alanmc8-6-2017.jpg

alanmc8-6-2017nbr2.jpg

alanmc8-6-2017nbr3.jpg
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds