Friday, April 19, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: The Gorge in 1987

The Gorge in 1987 7 years 3 months ago #1

Stumbled across this gem.

Some of you might have already seen this.
...Interesting forward and backward loops in 1987!
Just great to watch while waiting for warmer days.
Happy new year!

The Gorge in 1987 7 years 3 months ago #2

great footage for the time! i like the extended footage on wipeouts- never enough of these in other films.
happy new year!

The Gorge in 1987 7 years 3 months ago #3

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Happy! ...and windy :) !!!

The Gorge in 1987 7 years 3 months ago #4

"Hard Winds a Blowin' " from 1987, the movie that exposed the Gorge to world at large. It's even got an extended section on that ridiculous contraption, "the wind wing". I had a copy on VHS and pretty much wore it out.

The Gorge in 1987 7 years 2 months ago #5

That was my first summer there... I got my degree in the summer of '86 and taught that first year, spending my paychecks on gear. As soon as school was out I headed west (in my trusty VW Scirocco) with new Ampro grey wave masts, a 3.2, 3.9, 4.6 etc etc etc. Lived at the Wind Ranch in Bingen with about 60 other wind junkies and we sailed our asses off. Bob Dill made me a custom board (about 60 liters) which was like riding a skateboard. (actually one of the guys in that video looks a lot like the guy who shaped that board)

Mornings at the Hatchery then afternoons at Doug's or Maryhill. Trips to the coast and SF when the wind died for a week in July. Total boardhead summer. By mid August I could sail 5-6 hours on my 3.9 and then do it again the next day... and the next... I wish I could be in such good shape every season :unsure:

I'll dig out some pictures :cheer:

Drew
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds