Friday, April 19, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: Sailing Lake Michigan Monday and Tuesday

Sailing Lake Michigan Monday and Tuesday 7 years 6 months ago #1

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
I'm heading up to sail the big lake tomorrow and Tuesday. I am planning on sailing near Michigan City. If anyone is heading over there to sail let me know where you will be launching and perhaps I see ya there. Can't wait to get my first session of the fall!

Sailing Lake Michigan Monday and Tuesday 7 years 6 months ago #2

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
Need some help figuring out where to sail today. Where is the best place to sail today on Lake Michigan? It will take me a couple hours to get up there so want to go to where I have the best probability of wind.

Sailing Lake Michigan Monday and Tuesday 7 years 6 months ago #3

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
It looks good man! From Michigan City to Muskegon, go to the closest to you launch.
image_2016-09-26.png

Sailing Lake Michigan Monday and Tuesday 7 years 6 months ago #4

Chris wrote:
Need some help figuring out where to sail today. Where is the best place to sail today on Lake Michigan? It will take me a couple hours to get up there so want to go to where I have the best probability of wind.

Michigan City. IN launch is the spot for both days. Today should be good all the way to sunset. All other spots will be onshore on the Michigan side.

mapperv26_MC_9_26_4.jpg
mapperv26_MC_9_26_7.jpg

30.forecast_2016-09-26.gif

Michigan City pier, IN (wind forecast in knots)
Michigan_City_9_26_2016.png

Sailing Lake Michigan Monday and Tuesday 7 years 6 months ago #5

How was it? Looked pretty good at MC .

Michigan City Pier
Michigan_City_pier_9_26_2016.png

Michigan City cam
michigan_city_9_26_2016.jpg

Muskegon, MI breakwalls
Muskegon_breakwalls_9_26_2016.png

Muskegon, MI breakwalls
muskegon_9_26_2016.jpg

Sailing Lake Michigan Monday and Tuesday 7 years 6 months ago #6

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
I ended up going to Washington Park Monday. I rigged my 5.8 around noon and went out but the wind wasn't steady so I decided to wait for it to come up a bit before going out again. I think the pier messes with the wind so I went a little further down the beach to sail. Got back on the water around 3pm and got some decent rides but the wind wasn't as good as indicated by the graphs you posted. I had my daughter with me so I didn't spend the whole afternoon on the water. It didn't get real windy until after about 5. I rapped it up around 4:30 and we went to ST. Joe to spend the evening and then traveled back to Bloomington in the morning. It wasn't all that it could have been but I enjoyed my first session of the fall on the water. There was lots of kiters there but I was the only one windsurfing. I think they like it there because the kites are not effected by the wind break from the pier so the can go close up to shore and play in the waves. If I had it to do over I would go to another launch west of where I was to sail.

Sailing Lake Michigan Monday and Tuesday 7 years 6 months ago #7

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I think the wind direction was SW on Monday.

Sailing Lake Michigan Monday and Tuesday 7 years 6 months ago #8

Chris wrote:
Got back on the water around 3pm and got some decent rides but the wind wasn't as good as indicated by the graphs you posted.

Here's a different graph of that day. It's the Michigan City buoy and it does look borderline 5.8 conditions until after 3:30(as SailFlow forecast) The other thing to remember is the Michigan City pier meter is also off on its direction(from all reports). The buoy and Burns Harbor both showing W-WSW this day and not SW.

Michigan City buoy
Michigan_City_Buoy_9_26_2016.png

Well, it sounds more like a good beginner type day at Michigan City for somebody wanting to try Lake Michigan. We'll hopefully get you in some bigger conditions before the fall is over.

Sailing Lake Michigan Monday and Tuesday 7 years 6 months ago #9

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Wow, the break at Muskegon looks so clean! The few sails and kites seem to be on the other side of this jetty though.

Sailing Lake Michigan Monday and Tuesday 7 years 6 months ago #10

Muskegon is pretty flexible as far as wind direction, thanks to the big half-moon breakwater. The biggest & nicest waves I've ever ridden were on the south side of it on a northerly 4.7 wind (just slightly offshore) that had been blowing all night :-)

The beaches are huge, with loads of parking. Only drawback is the crazy distance you have to drive to get from the north beach to the south beach.

Even if the wind is east you can sail on Muskegon Lake!

And if you're in the area and it's sunny & warm with a south wind you need to get your butt to LSP (just 25 minutes away) where it will be blowing twice as strong.

Drew

Sailing Lake Michigan Monday and Tuesday 7 years 6 months ago #11

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Sounds like Heaven! You guys are spoiled for choices.

Sailing Lake Michigan Monday and Tuesday 7 years 6 months ago #12

Andrew Scheidler wrote:
And if you're in the area and it's sunny & warm with a south wind you need to get your butt to LSP (just 25 minutes away) where it will be blowing twice as strong.

And beautiful camping at Silver Lake State Park at LSP... windsurfillinois.com/index.php/photos/63...albumid=6&photoid=74
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds