Thursday, April 25, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: 2015 season openers 03.14/15?

2015 season openers 03.14/15? 9 years 1 month ago #13

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/raw/sx/sxus83.klot.omr.lot.txt
Link to the NOAA temperature sensors for southern Lake Michigan.

2015 season openers 03.14/15? 9 years 1 month ago #14

• Chris
  • Gale Force
Thanks to all of you for your replies. Wolf sounds like a safe bet, in more ways than one!

2015 season openers 03.14/15? 9 years 1 month ago #15

These picks were taken 2 days ago at greenwood beach in Evanston. Lots of ice/snow along the shoreline.

Regarding Lake Michigan: Even if you found a spot to access the lake, there are still big chunks of ice floating around. Some chunks of ice are as big as small cars. There are tons more that are small boulders, and they can be floating near the surface. What happens when you catch your fin on ice when you're sailing? Sounds like a bad plan to me. Wolf is the best bet for at least the next couple of weeks.

20150310_131528.jpg

20150310_131532.jpg

20150310_131535.jpg

Check out these surfers going out on Newyearsday in Grand Haven, MI
slavetothewave.com/tag/surfing-michigan-2015/

2015 season openers 03.14/15? 9 years 1 month ago #16

Not to mention the shrinkage!! :)

2015 season openers 03.14/15? 9 years 1 month ago #17

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I'm on a reconnaissance mission /road trip for the wife;)/ and Wolf is out of limits -still frozen :(
image_2015-03-15.jpg

2015 season openers 03.14/15? 9 years 1 month ago #18

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
The wall is clear exept the rest corner
image_2015-03-15-2.jpg

image_2015-03-15-3.jpg

2015 season openers 03.14/15? 9 years 1 month ago #19

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Soo if I'm going Monday, the closest one would be Gary -probably crappy side offshore. Tuesday-the Wall -very cold.

2015 season openers 03.14/15? 9 years 1 month ago #20

• Otto
  • Strong Breeze
Thanks for scoping things out Ady!

I called the guard shack at wolf a couple days ago and they said it was all clear (they actually said it was mostly clear and they thought it'd be totally clear by the next day). I can see that was somewhat inaccurate... I would have been so bummed if I got there ready to sail and it was all frozen. Thanks for preventing that trauma,

Where, more precisely are you thinking of sailing tomorrow?

I'll probably join you @ wall Tuesday if forecast holds up.

2015 season openers 03.14/15? 9 years 1 month ago #21

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Otto wrote:
Thanks for scoping things out Ady!

I called the guard shack at wolf a couple days ago and they said it was all clear (they actually said it was mostly clear and they thought it'd be totally clear by the next day). I can see that was somewhat inaccurate... I would have been so bummed if I got there ready to sail and it was all frozen. Thanks for preventing that trauma,

Where, more precisely are you thinking of sailing tomorrow?

I'll probably join you @ wall Tuesday if forecast holds up.
I've been sailing a few times out of a parking lot at the end of Lake St in Gary. I've never had luck with the wind there though. I want to try it tomorrow once more, but I'm still not 100% if I'll be able to get away from work /rarely had a problem:)/. I'll post if I'll be going.
Dropped Pin
near Marquette Park, Gary, IN 46403
goo.gl/maps/NizfL

2015 season openers 03.14/15? 9 years 1 month ago #22

I thought for sure it was gonna be a great season opener on Monday. It might be 70s tomorrow. At least the forecast is not as good anymore. I'd be pissed if it was 70 degrees, 22 knots and Wolf lake frozen.

2015 season openers 03.14/15? 9 years 1 month ago #23

• Otto
  • Strong Breeze
I've never sailed there before. With the water as cold as it is, and the forecast looking marginal I think I'll stick with places I know until the water warms up ...a bit.

If the forecast for Tuesday remains the same I could do an early morning session at 87th street. I feel relatively safe there, but still, with the cold water, I'd prefer to not sail alone. If the forecast doesn't shift too much I'll probably plan to arrive around 6 or 7AM,. It's a bit early, but sure to beat rush hour.

Ady, Are you up for it? Any other takers for a dawn session Tuesday at the Wall (87th street)? I'll check back this evening to see if I have any takers. I'll post before going to bed what time I'm planning to hit wall.

2015 season openers 03.14/15? 9 years 1 month ago #24

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Alright, looks nice, the wind is supposed to pick up a bit and I'm heading to Gary. Dead set to get this season started:) Wish me luck!
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds