Friday, March 29, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: SSE for Thursday 10.26

SSE for Thursday 10.26 6 years 5 months ago #1

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
51F4BF3A-D694-4E35-B31A-BA570670B010.jpeg

Ahhh, I wanted to do that for a while now-starting a session thread on the Clinton page :woohoo: It’s not a pilgrimage for me anymore, it’s like a occasional Sunday mass now.
It looks like it might be a pretty decent day for blasting on bigger kit, hopefully Reid will post the weather and launch spot details later. Besides some racing opportunities ;) it could be a good occasion for some kit experimenting, like sails; masts and fins swapping and on water testing. I like those things, besides sailing, it makes the whole experience more complete and educating. Any Chicago or elsewhere windsurfers joining? The wind will be stronger there guaranteed!

SSE for Thursday 10.26 6 years 5 months ago #2

Still looks good to me. I'm planning on getting to the West Side ramp around 2pm. SSE should be pretty good over there.

SSE for Thursday 10.26 6 years 5 months ago #3

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
It got upgraded actually! It looks like another 5.2 or less day for me. If that’s the case Rich, I’ll be able to help you out with a 430 mast and RDM extension. You just make sure to bring the RDM attachment for your boom clamp. If you don’t have one I can bring one too, or a whole boom if needed.

SSE for Thursday 10.26 6 years 5 months ago #4

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
Ady, why are you not heading north and sailing the big lake? Looks better according to sailflow.

SSE for Thursday 10.26 6 years 5 months ago #5

NOAA: Areas of frost before 8am. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 66. South southeast wind 7 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph.

Clinton_10_26_2017.png

10_26_2017_2.jpg

30.forecast_2017-10-26.gif

10_26_2017_5.jpg

30.forecast_2017-10-26.gif

10_26_2017_midday.jpg

Yep, looks like SSE wind for the West Side. 6.9 wind becoming 5.8 wind sometime in the afternoon. I should be out there in the afternoon.

SSE for Thursday 10.26 6 years 5 months ago #6

Thanks for looking out for me Ady, I'll probably sail my 7.0 with my 460.

SSE for Thursday 10.26 6 years 5 months ago #7

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Chris wrote:
Ady, why are you not heading north and sailing the big lake? Looks better according to sailflow.
C’mon Chris, didn’t you miss me all summer long?! I’ve some catching up to do sailing with you guys. Also the SSE direction is tricky, maybe I just wasn’t lucky, but I didn’t like it much neither at Greenwood nor at Sheboygan. Facing the choice between sailing my Windsup among strangers at Sheboygan or blasting/ b&j among friends at Clinton the decision comes easy. I should be at the West Side launch around 11:30-12:00 and we can do some rigging before the wind picks up good.
PS: almost forgot about the water temperature difference. Where would you rather be-in 50 or in 70 F water?

SSE for Thursday 10.26 6 years 5 months ago #8

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Rich, I think you’ll need a 430 after all. No worries, you’ll be supplied with one for today :)

SSE for Thursday 10.26 6 years 5 months ago #9

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
It was an OK session for me personally. I’m glad I could use my 5.2/94 combo, but the wind direction was not optimal and the lake was mostly a mess. Nothing like the smooth swell for riding with flat areas for jibing that I’ve got used to expect on Clinton. I’ve become spoiled certainly and the 20-30 mph wind and warm air and water are nothing to complain about.
Just before getting in I was able to snap some pictures of Chris and I’m posting those that I like the most , like the one with his signature relaxed rig flip:

9342113D-4D46-45EA-AF19-DE8BD7652522.jpeg

0D47F725-CBF2-4801-9E08-81AA41602A7A.jpeg

6F6287B0-0EB6-4A2F-B963-F7C3FBBC6429.jpeg

SSE for Thursday 10.26 6 years 5 months ago #10

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
Thanks Ady, it was definitely a speed slalom high speed jybe day. The ramps were not setting up well. I had a great time, glad you gave me a heads up cuz I was not seeing that much wind. Rich got his mast situation under hand and got some good rides. Reid was all fired up but I overcame him once, we were both flying though. Its a difficult place to sail if your unfamiliar with the lay of the land. You are sailing full speed in a horseshoe shaped run.

SSE for Thursday 10.26 6 years 5 months ago #11

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Rich, I forgot to tell you that since your sail looked quite flat on land /this might change a bit with the better mast/ the printed settings are probably the maximum ones. You can release a little of downhaul for less powered up conditions, but no more then 1”. It’s important to release some outhaul at the same time aswell-one hole shorter will be enough or 2 if the sail doesn’t hug the boom too much when powered. I’m purposely setting my extension for the max downhaul and then just loosening the line an 1” if I’m underpowered, instead of setting it one hole shorter, so I can pull it up quickly /and in the water if needed/ without disconnecting from the base /and keeping the line in the pocket for the same reason as I told you/ if the wind picks up . You may have seen me yesterday doing it in the shallows, because I started with the looser medium setting and decided to change to max at that point. I reversed it again later when the wind dropped, but this didn’t help anymore because I just need a bigger sail and board for wich was too late. Every time I change the downhaul I change the outhaul respectively and sometimes the boom hight too -lower for overpowered, higher for underpowered and then I may need to change the length of the harness lines too.

SSE for Thursday 10.26 6 years 5 months ago #12

Luckily Rich re-rigged switching to his 7.0 with the better mast before hitting the water and didn't have to deal with the 6.0 as he waits for his better 430 for his 6.0. He was rippin' on his 7.0 out there.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds