Thursday, March 28, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Sunday 10/15

Sunday 10/15 6 years 5 months ago #1

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
Looks like tomorrow is going to be good. Im going to sail Clinton, looks like rain in forecast for the big lake.

Sunday 10/15 6 years 5 months ago #2

Are you going to launch at Purgatory? Looks like a solid NW

Sunday 10/15 6 years 5 months ago #3

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
That was what I am thinking. However, the road might work as well. What you think Reid?

Sunday 10/15 6 years 5 months ago #4

NOAA: A 30 percent chance of showers before 10am. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 58. Breezy, with a northwest wind 17 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 32 mph.

Clinton_10_15_2017.png

10_15_2017_11.jpg

30.forecast_2017-10-14.gif

10_15_2017_2.jpg

30.forecast_2017-10-14.gif

10_15_2017_morning.jpg

10_15_2017_mid.jpg

It looks like most of the wind will be 300 degrees(NW wind) in the 5.8 to 4.2 range. That should be great NW wind for The Road launch. Plus with the 54F to 58F air temp with cloud-cover the 75F+ water temp will feel great. Park on the east side of road if your gear needs yard sale room - nice mowed grass. I'll bring a 3.7 for the Sepper if she needs it.

Sunday 10/15 6 years 5 months ago #5

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
I am at the lake and Purgatory Cove looks better than the road.

Sunday 10/15 6 years 5 months ago #6

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
I'm going to go ahead back to the road and start sailing, if its not that good then I'll go to sail the main pool. Who's going to join me at the road get out of bed boys and girls

Sunday 10/15 6 years 5 months ago #7

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
The road was the right place to Launch. I sell my 5.8 for a while then Reid and Rich showed up and I rigged my 5.2. Aby showed up and sailed a 5.2 or close to it, not sure. Reid sailed 4.7 but I'm not sure what Rich had rigged. The water was like bath water but the air was a little chilly but not bad. We had partial sun in the afternoon. We had some blazing-fast flat water runs on the far side where it was releasing off the swimming beach, good ramps were a little hard to find but you would find one here and there. Had a great Sunday session, topped it off again at the Powerhouse Pub for a burger and a beer. I wish more people could have joined.

Sunday 10/15 6 years 5 months ago #8

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Yeah, awesome session indeed Chris! I’m happy to sail again with you and Reid and great to meet Rich in person! I rigged my favorite 5.2 and it was the right size for most of the time. Unbelievable how warm the water is, probably close to 80?! I was hot in my 4/3 and had to replace the hood with a beanie.
Couple of links Rich he may be interested in:
www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewCateg...s.asp?idCategory=142

secondwindmaui.com/index.php/used/2013-maui-sails-masts.html

Sunday 10/15 6 years 5 months ago #9

Had a great time sailing at the Road. Starting to get some confidence in the heavier wind but plenty of hooked-in catapults :ohmy: Chris, Reid and Ady were all powered up and ripping the lake apart! Nice meeting you Ady and thanks for the links! The nose protector is getting ordered this week :)

Sunday 10/15 6 years 5 months ago #10

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Rich, you have to get to the ruth of this. Like Reid said-your rig really looks strange in your avatar picture. It might be an illusion, but it seems like the sail is full in its upper half and flat in its lower half. It needs to be the other way around. Even with a wrong mast bend curve, which you definitely have, there still need to be a way to put more downhaul and reduce outhaul. It’s imperative to have a good upper leach twist and you should play with the trim and try to induce it even if doesn’t look right elsewhere. Without a sufficient downhaul this will keep happening a lot in the gusty winds. With the wrong mast, but correct settings the trim usually looks terrible on the ground, but still can feel ok on the water. So if you use the recommended downhaul settings for lets say your 6.0 Screem /440 luff/ you should be fixing the extension at 10 cm presuming a 430 mast. Next time fix the extension at 12 cm and pull the line completely until both pulleys almost touch each other. Don’t put too much outhaul though-just 2 fingers or so farther then neutral.
Also too big of a sail for the conditions doesn’t help! Me and Steve were on a 5.2s and Reid on 4.7. True you are heavier then us but you were on a 130 L board, which compensates more then enough for the additional body weight. You can try smaller sails and putting the boom at shoulder height and bearing away will help you a lot with early planing.

Sunday 10/15 6 years 5 months ago #11

His avatar pic is his 8.0. And that seems to be fine. We're talking about his mast for his 6.0. and 5.0

Sunday 10/15 6 years 5 months ago #12

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Reid Fillman wrote:
His avatar pic is his 8.0. And that seems to be fine. We're talking about his mast for his 6.0. and 5.0
Well, the gusts are far less violent in 8.0 conditions and the chop is next to nothing, so you don’t feel the negative effects of a bad trim as much.
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds