Thursday, April 18, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Strong W to WNW predicted for Wednesday 3/01/17

Strong W to WNW predicted for Wednesday 3/01/17 7 years 1 month ago #1

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Any "Hump" day takers out there? Don't like the lonely sailor perspective, but I want to sail, so alone or not Clinton here I come again...hopefully.

Strong W to WNW predicted for Wednesday 7 years 1 month ago #2

I took half a day off from work, drove all the way out to "our" Clinton lake, bought my new yearly parking pass, headed to the launch site, and the wind promptly died. It was glassy and 5-10 mph by the time I was at the water. :(
When I left home, the Lawrence, KS AWOS was reading south wind 21-32 mph.....how could I go wrong???? Where's the luck......

Strong W to WNW predicted for Wednesday 7 years 1 month ago #3

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
Damn, well you did get your pass, just chalk it up as a dry run and a reason to have some beers at the lake. Stop pissing off the wind gods as well, that will help, repent! just kidding.

Strong W to WNW predicted for Wednesday 7 years 1 month ago #4

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I feel your pain Eric. This has happened to me so many times in wind poor , but cold rich northern Illinois. What a revelation it has been to me this year and how much have I missed when only 2 hrs drive from my home is a lake where no wind means 6.5 conditions and the water is so warm that you can see steam rising.

Strong W to WNW predicted for Wednesday 7 years 1 month ago #5

Big Wednesday

mapperv2_3_1_2017_4.jpg

30.forecast_2017-03-01.gif

3_1_2017_morning.jpg

Strong W to WNW predicted for Wednesday 7 years 1 month ago #6

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Oh boy, what a day. I launched from the path next to the beach fence on the 94 and a 5.2 but quickly realized that it is way too much so I switched to 4.6. Mike joined me around 2 pm and we kept going until 4:30. It was nice that he came, because the lake was completely deserted. The wind was going crazy-it seemed to shift from W to WNW and back every now and then and it may have hit 40 mph a few times /my windmeter registered 17 to 34 mph when I checked/. I sailed my 2012 Kode 86 as well, but slogging in the lulls is a pain with it and honestly I don't think I need it anymore now that I have the 94, gotta sell it.
It was a little cold-42-and dropped to 39 by the time we were done, but with this kind of warm water it didn't seem that cold at all .

Strong W to WNW predicted for Wednesday 3/01/17 7 years 1 month ago #7

You boys had some wind out there. And you've got your cold weather systems down. Way to go, guys!

Bloomington: Peak sustained 33 mph. Peak gust 43 mph

bloomington_3_1_2017.png

Champaign: Peak sustained 38 mph. Peak gust 47 mph

champaign_3_1_2017.png

Decatur: Peak sustained 36 mph. Peak gust 43 mph

decatur_3_1_2017.png

Realtime Wind around 3:00pm
3_1_2017_realtime_wind.jpg

Strong W to WNW predicted for Wednesday 3/01/17 7 years 1 month ago #8

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Yeah, it was wild at times. Decaturs readings are probably the closest to what we got. I liked this launch a lot -for the long sand front, clear grass rigging areas, restrooms and the shelter for changing in the corner of the Boondocks. I'm sure in a warm weather the place will be crowded though.
Time to create page: 0.291 seconds