Thursday, April 25, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: March 6, 2016 @ Clinton Lake.....Kansas!

March 6, 2016 @ Clinton Lake.....Kansas! 8 years 1 month ago #1

Yes, there's another Clinton Lake! Located just west of Lawrence, KS; lots of kiters and windsurfers from KC/Lawrence/Topeka sail there. Here's a screen shot from Sunday.....

March 6, 2016 @ Clinton Lake.....Kansas! 8 years 1 month ago #2

Nice, Eric! We have some members that make it over that way. And others from Bloomington, IL and Peoria, IL that take fall windsurf vacations on other lakes in Kansas. Great GoPro shot! Feel free to fire-up a video on the Video page.

March 6, 2016 @ Clinton Lake.....Kansas! 8 years 1 month ago #3

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I came upon a statistic once that claimed Kansas to be the windiest state in US and on top of that is warmer and probably cheaper then IL. Oops you surely keep those facts a secret, my bad :whistle:

March 6, 2016 @ Clinton Lake.....Kansas! 8 years 1 month ago #4

I usually get 25-50 days/year on 6.0 or smaller. Yearly park permit = $25, 45 min drive from my driveway to parking spot 50' from water. Lots of good jobs for tech and financial (engineers like me). Probably 4-5 big lakes within an hour from KC. It gets windy enough to generate big enough swell to pull backies, I've even over-rotated em a couple times on my smallest gear (77 litre + 3.6). Mostly it's 5.0-6.0...or less. Mid-April I'm usually sailing in a shorty, and just shorts and rash guard by May. Central KS (Wilson Lake) you could easy get 100 days/year 5.0 or smaller, .......but then you'd have to live in central KS.

March 6, 2016 @ Clinton Lake.....Kansas! 8 years 1 month ago #5

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
Nice, I will come check it out, thanks!

March 6, 2016 @ Clinton Lake.....Kansas! 8 years 1 month ago #6

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Wow, sounds better then I've imagined!

March 6, 2016 @ Clinton Lake.....Kansas! 8 years 1 month ago #7

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
Eric, is April-May typically the best months for sailing their? I may take a road trip, got to see it a week out so I can bail on work and hit the road. Hopefully on a weekend, so I can take Friday off and leave Thursday evening. Please give me a heads up if you see something developing. Thanks!

March 6, 2016 @ Clinton Lake.....Kansas! 8 years 1 month ago #8

Yes, March-June is best. Here's a link to our local group:
groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/kansaswindsurf/info

We also have a FB page. You can camp at any of the lakes in Kansas. Clinton has these nice cabins that you can rent, and Pomona has this awesome camping area that we rent out for pretty much the whole season. Wilson has the best wind and waves, but it's west of Salina (3.5 hrs from KC), and you can camp right by the water. However, you'll probably be sailing alone. Looks like next week should be good for some wind and warm air. I think the water is getting close to 50 degrees, so the gloves can come off.

March 6, 2016 @ Clinton Lake.....Kansas! 8 years 1 month ago #9

Fixed your link so it shows up.

Kansas road trip music: "I'm going to Wichita" - The White Stripes, 'Seven Nation Army'

March 6, 2016 @ Clinton Lake.....Kansas! 8 years 1 month ago #10

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
Thanks, I'll join the group, I'm looking for a weekend in April to come down. Thinking I'll get a cabin for the weekend since my GF isn't into camping. Are they for rent at the state parks or are they private? I really appreciate the info!

March 6, 2016 @ Clinton Lake.....Kansas! 8 years 1 month ago #11

Cabins are at the State park. The lake is split into two governing authorities: The US Army Corps of Eningeers, who are in charge of the lake, dam, levels, and also have some recreational areas that do not require passes. The state park side is where most of the camping, trails, marina, and boat ramps are. State park requires a yearly or daily pass. Pretty sure you can reserve cabins online. Make sure you check for critters before you set up house: the St. Louis guys found a scorpion in the bath tub, and we have lots of brown recluse spiders, and various snakes (copper head is the most serious snake here). Most snakes you see will be harmless though.

March 6, 2016 @ Clinton Lake.....Kansas! 8 years 1 month ago #12

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
Good info, not sharing that with my GF, she will freak!
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds