Thursday, March 28, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Friday 10/02/2015

Friday 10/02/2015 8 years 5 months ago #1

NOAA: Mostly sunny, with a high near 64. Breezy, with a northeast wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Clinton_9_2_2015.png

mapperv_9_02_2015_2.jpg

30.forecast_2015-10-01.gif

mapperv_9_02_2015_5.jpg

30.forecast_2015-10-01.gif

Afternoon looks best. Two spots to look at for the NE wind. One is The Corner but it has to come right down the pipe. The other is Purgatory Cove which gives more room for shifts and it might be fun the sail The Narrows with the opposite wind direction.

Friday 10/2/2015 8 years 5 months ago #2

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
Sailed with Reid, we launched from PDU out into the main pool. We had 5.8 sails and got some good rides. More of a speed sailing than bump and jump day. The ramps were not setting up well. We had the lake to ourselves except for one sailboat. I guess the majority of people don't know how to have fun.

Friday 10/2/2015 8 years 5 months ago #3

Yep, sailed off Peninsula. Stopped by Purgatory Cove. It was doable but requires a swim to the top of the cove and I was afraid of the wind going ENE which it did. Peninsula wasn't easy. Caught a puff (ENE wind) to launch starboard out into the lake and was really glad we didn't launch out of Purgatory. Then the trick was to tack and head up to get away from the land because the wind lifts up to get over the treeline. Then the wind just kept building for my 5.8 with 108. The 1 mile reaches were nice and not having to look into the sun on a reach. There was some sustained wind that made me give the 4.7 some thought , but toughed it out on the lit 5.8. I sailed nonstop from 2:00 to 5:00.

Bloomington
blomington_10_02_2015.png

Decatur
decatur_10_02_2015.png

Good day to show the power of a cloud layer. Looking east we could see the cloud layer stopped just east of the lake. To the west clear blue sky. Champaign under the clouds never got its base wind above 20 mph in the afternoon while Bloomington to the north of Clinton Lake, and Decatur to the south, got a boost being right on the edge of the cloud layer.

cloud_cover_10_02_2015_2.gif
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds