Thursday, April 25, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: Windsurf instruction

Windsurf instruction 8 years 10 months ago #13

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
I may be able to make it down tomorrow afternoon with my son Barker who is also wanting to learn. I will bring my fanatic 135 board and maybe the wind glider, don't know if I have everything together for that. Good to see another person stepping up to take on the sport. You have to pay your dues when learning this sport, even when you get more advanced, may find yourself in situations that require all you got in you to get home. But well worth it! As they say, nothing worthwhile comes easy.

Windsurf instruction 8 years 10 months ago #14

Ady wrote:
Wow Reid I just realized that you guys have stronger winds then us here . Is it by S directions only ? I guess the Big Lake is to be blamed about the difference.

Clinton is at a high flat spot in IL. Down hill in all directions once 30 miles out. There's a tree line at the lake but outside of that it's just open farm land. You'll have to compare and contrast sesh reports. And there's this just north east of the lake...

Twin Groves Wind Farm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Groves_Wind_Farm

"It consists of 240 operating wind turbines. ...Twin Groves was the largest utility-scale wind farm east of the Mississippi River upon completion. ...Horizon Wind Energy is considering an additional 170 wind turbines, to bring the total number of turbines to 410."

Scott Pickard wrote:
Could we set a day/time I could meet you? -Scott

Scott, I think we might be able to get you started on one of Chris's bigger boards. I'll put out a wind alert after the Hawks game.

Windsurf instruction 8 years 10 months ago #15

I don't know guys. This might be a rain out. I think we'll have to look at this in the morning. Doesn't look good.

Windsurf instruction 8 years 10 months ago #16

• Scott Pickard
OK. I am also available during the week. -Scott

Windsurf instruction 8 years 10 months ago #17

Ady thanks for the video it's very comprehensive. I'll have to check out some of their other videos. When I was rigging yesterday I was watching an Ezzy video for the Legacy Sail just to see how he does it since I only have a paper copy for rigging. I've watched other Ezzy sail videos and they all seem to be similar except for the options that come with that particular sail, or what type of indicators are on the sail to adjust the leach (dots, bars, or some type of emblem).
vimeo.com/58336280
For the Legacy sail Ezzy offered a pulley option to replace the "D" ring and Dave showed how to rig the sail using the "D" ring in the video. I can see how just the rope in the ring is a better way to go eliminating the metal to metal pulley hook pressure on the eyelet that could distort it with all that down haul pressure. Great tip Reid! I'll save a few bucks on a pulley that will help pay for that work for "Beer Fee".
I'll order that other mast base and as soon as I get it I should be ready. I'm also flexible for something during the week.

Windsurf instruction 8 years 10 months ago #18

I talked to Chris, and we're going to pick another day. One with less chance of storms. Good to know that you guys can come out during the week. I always post a heads-up. We'll find a nice learning day where we can all make a full day of it with lots of learning gear.

Windsurf instruction 8 years 10 months ago #19

Sure enough...

Radar: Clinton Lake 6/14/15 1:20pm
clinton_rader_6_14_2015.jpg

Windsurf instruction 8 years 10 months ago #20

• Scott Pickard
That works for me!

Windsurf instruction 8 years 10 months ago #21

The goods arrived today, now we just need the arrival of the weather!
Reid, I was looking for any info on the Aerotech 4.0 Fun Sail I have for Scott to use and this is all I came up with.
www.windsport.com/trainer_sails

Windsurf instruction 8 years 10 months ago #22

I found some specs for the Aerotech 4.0 Fun Sail. Takes a 400 mast with 4 -6 cm of extension. It has an adjustable head so it might also work on 430 mast. It takes a boom length of 176 - 178 cm. Looks like an easy to up-haul sail for beginners.

Aerotech4.0FunSail.jpg

Windsurf instruction 8 years 10 months ago #23

Great! I have the 400 mast and the sail does have a funky type of mast cap set up that uses rope. Worst/best case scenario the boom that I have that is stuck might already be in the right position, have to check it out.

Windsurf instruction 8 years 10 months ago #24

The boom that's stuck adjusts from 147-210cm. From what I can tell it's been pulled out 10 boom holes that looks to be about 9", maybe 10" depending where it's at its min. of 147cm. So at 9" I'm adding about 23cm to the 147 that puts me at 170cm. Even at 10" (25.4 cm) that still only puts us at 172cm if my ciphering is right, but maybe that's close enough once rigged. If not we'll need to tie one end of the boom to each of our bumpers and adjust its attitude a bit!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds