Thursday, April 25, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: Windsurf instruction

Windsurf instruction 8 years 10 months ago #1

I live in Champaign and I'm looking for either an instructor (willing to pay an appropriate fee) and/or a group that I can join so I can learn how to windsurf.

Windsurf instruction 8 years 10 months ago #2

Welcome, Scott! Finding instructors is not a problem. It's finding beginner gear that's a little more tricky. Chris has some beginner gear that he's teaching his kids on or other folks that want to learn. We need to talk Garry into coming down with his boards that are great for learning - let's talk up the 80 degree water temp and the shallowness of the Beginner Cove at the Marina launch(see Launches page). Be neat to have a group class. I would be willing to help you if we can get access to some beginner gear.

work-for-beer-vintage-metal-sign-2.gif.jpg

Windsurf instruction 8 years 10 months ago #3

Sounds like an offer to good to refuse! From what I can see it looks like the Marina has many wind options for sailing it. Otto, after my final market analysis I ordered my gear and I just received it yesterday. Vest, gloves, booties, helmet and Solarez to repair the damaged screw hole on the Go board I have. I'm planning to repair it this weekend. I also have to put the car jack (great tip by the way!) on the aluminum boom since one side is seized up. I only have one mast base (non euro) But other than that I should have 2 kits (165l & 220l). If we can work It out I'll throw everything in the truck and head down.

Windsurf instruction 8 years 10 months ago #4

Reid, thanks! I'm willing to invest in my own beginner gear with a little guidance. -Scott

P.S. -- How does 90-minute Dogfish IPA sound?

Windsurf instruction 8 years 10 months ago #5

Could we set a day/time I could meet you? -Scott

Windsurf instruction 8 years 10 months ago #6

If Garry can get his gear in working order and he's willing to let you ride it, tomorrow would be a good day at the Marina launch (Sunday 6/14/15 - light SW wind maybe a little rain in the late afternoon). And anybody else who wants to join the fun.

If not, we can try for next weekend to all meet up. And give me a chance to try the 90-minute Dogfish IPA. :)

Windsurf instruction 8 years 10 months ago #7

Unfortunately tomorrow will not work for me. I did get the patching done earlier today and I'm a little surprised that the epoxy is still slightly tacky. I'll need to give it a light sanding when it's dry. I also tried to rig up one of the sails today. For some reason a few of the battens are not even close to being behind the mast. I thought these were set at the factory so I'm thinking it's something I'm not doing correctly, suggestions? I also realized I need another pulley for the second kit as well as the mast base so I'll order them up. I also have to get that other boom to break free.

image_2015-06-13.jpg

image_2015-06-13-2.jpg

Windsurf instruction 8 years 10 months ago #8

You need a lot more down-haul. Rigging and tuning will be part of the lesson, along with unsticking booms. :)

Windsurf instruction 8 years 10 months ago #9

I'll have to add some length to the extension and try it again. I thought I had it set correctly but maybe over time the sail stretches out?

Windsurf instruction 8 years 10 months ago #10

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Garry Zack wrote:
I'll have to add some length to the extension and try it again. I thought I had it set correctly but maybe over time the sail stretches out?
Probably , but it's minimal. You need to pull the line until both pulleys almost touch each other. Because you are using aftermarket pulley on the sail, you may need to extend more then what's printed on the sail.
Wow Reid I just realized that you guys have stronger winds then us here . Is it by S directions only ? I guess the Big Lake is to be blamed about the difference.

Windsurf instruction 8 years 10 months ago #11

From the photos it looks like you have enough extension. You just need more down-haul. You won't be able to do it bare-handed.

Windsurf instruction 8 years 10 months ago #12

You also don't need that pulley-hook. And it can damage/distort the sail grommet.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.454 seconds