Thursday, April 18, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Monroe Harbor Boat Mooring Re-Configuration

Monroe Harbor Boat Mooring Re-Configuration 6 years 2 months ago #1

For 2018 the Chicago Park District is removing the boat moorings from the South end of Monroe Harbor. There is less demand for boat moorings so they are consolidating the boats to the north end of the harbor. In the notice that the Park District sent to boat owners they said "we hope to open opportunities for youth sailing inside Monroe Harbor in 2018". I would think that this should also open Monroe Harbor up for windsurfing.

Monroe Harbor Boat Mooring Re-Configuration 6 years 2 months ago #2

I've never launched from the harbor, but it's gonna be hard to do a traditional beach start, no? But there's no waves, and they seem to *want* us, so that's a step up.

Monroe Harbor Boat Mooring Re-Configuration 6 years 2 months ago #3

• Chris
  • Gale Force
Thanks for the update, Rich. I'm guessing, though, that parking would still be an issue? Keep us posted.

Monroe Harbor Boat Mooring Re-Configuration 6 years 2 months ago #4

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
At 47 I’ll have a hard time passing for a youth, you guys have a better chance :lol:

Monroe Harbor Boat Mooring Re-Configuration 6 years 2 months ago #5

I agree parking and launching would be challenging.
There is underground parking at the millienium park Lakeside garage which is under Maggie daly park.
Then you would have to haul the equipment to the south end of the harbor.
Seems like if the Park District is interested in promoting sailing they might be open to making some accomodations if someone feels like pursuing it.

Monroe Harbor Boat Mooring Re-Configuration 6 years 1 month ago #6

IMO--This spot is horrible for windsurfers on a variety of levels: lack of parking , expensive parking, ,ease of access, launch area, massive boat traffic, dirty harbor water, poor wind direction at launch site, not many places to safely come to shore if you can't get back to launch spot, plus you will likely be the only WS in the water.

Plenty of better spots within 30min drive of here for most all wind directions
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds