Saturday, April 20, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Big Monday

Big Monday 6 years 4 months ago #1

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Looks like it! SSE to S. Wolf for me, I guess. End of season fish and fries at the Bulldog after session sounds good to me also ;)
PS: I don’t have anything smaller then 4.2 :ohmy:
A4C9EB3B-7992-47DB-B534-6D1DF77E3554.jpeg

Big Monday 6 years 4 months ago #2

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
5DC9826C-6011-4CF6-9891-55A2C01F5644.jpeg

Not exactly nuking at Wolf, so I sailed 4.6 and my 93. The 4.6 Revo, was a bit small actually a lot of the time so I switched to the 5.2 later completely maxed out. That was much better and for a hundredth time I’m making the same mistake of not trusting my own instincts , but copying blindly what the other guys are using. In my book of wisdom 25-35 mph wind corresponds to 5.2 and maybe it’s just me but I like my Revos maxed . Smaller size set full doesn’t work well for me.
Anyhow I could hardly wish a better day for end of season sailing. I had lots of fun and I wish my friends were here so we can celebrate it, but unfortunately no one came-just me and most of the Polish brigade. Well, see you next year, I guess!
PS: awesome having a new boom tail-it doesn’t stick like the old bent one. I’m very happy with the Severne harness lines, great quality and the 30” lenght wich I ordered by mistake turned out to be the right size. I had my boom a bit lower today for more control and 32” lines would have been way too long.

Big Monday 6 years 4 months ago #3

• Chris
  • Gale Force
Glad to hear you had a good time down at Wolf.

The Northshore/Greenwood crew was out today sailing 4.5s to 5.7s in quite gusty conditions. Mike M. and Alan S. win the "can't get enough" award. A bunch of other folks also stopped by including Bob B., Al S., Matt S, Sue and Iulius.

Good times, especially for Dec 4!

IMG_3024.jpg

Big Monday 6 years 4 months ago #4

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Ha, Chris! Couldn’t recognize you right away, growing a beard. Good idea this group picture, I regret never doing one with the Wolf , or the Greenwood, or the Clinton crew. People come and go and you never see them again. I should start bringing my camera and the tripod next year.

Big Monday 6 years 4 months ago #5

Chris wrote:
The Northshore/Greenwood crew was out today sailing 4.5s to 5.7s in quite gusty conditions. Mike M. and Alan S. win the "can't get enough" award. A bunch of other folks also stopped by including Bob B., Al S., Matt S, Sue and Iulius.

Good times, especially for Dec 4!

How cold was the water, Chris? It's been awhile since Chris(Bloomington) and I last sailed there. We're gonna have to make a trip next year.

Big Monday 6 years 4 months ago #6

Ady wrote:
PS: awesome having a new boom tail-it doesn’t stick like the old bent one.

Have you seen it? The new Chinook tail is interesting. It's crimped to give it more stiffness.

Chinook_RDG-Alloy-2017-Bend_3.jpg
Chinook_RDG-135-tail-3.jpg

Big Monday 6 years 4 months ago #7

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Makes sense and probably adds some more stiffness overall, but this increased tail end stiffness may make the compromised tail arms /because of all the holes / even more vulnerable to bending during shock stress then they already are. I wish there was a telescoping system like in the paddles that doesn’t involve holes.
Otherwise I take Chinook booms anytime before RRD just because the harness lines markings are plain visible right in front of you artfully integrated in the graphics and the logos and other inscriptions don’t fall off by themselves. Unfortunately when I shopped for a boom last year Chinook was selling only the previous weird model with tappered main arms that made it tail heavy, so I bought the RRD .
If I could afford it I’d buy only carbon.

Big Monday 6 years 4 months ago #8

• Chris
  • Gale Force
Hey Reid-
Water was about 42 degrees. I was wearing open mitts, and they worked fine, since the air temp was so warm. With the temps dropping, though, I and some others will increasingly be doing more SUPsurfing these days. Even with full (lobster) mitts, forearm cramping is not an issue while paddling (as it can be with windsurfing). And it's amazing how much more heat you can generate while paddling vs. windsurfing! If you have a SUP (+steamer, closed mitts, hood, and thick booties) come join us one of these days. The first fall in the cold water is always a bit exhilarating, but, otherwise, it's totally doable.
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds