Friday, March 29, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Sunday 10/22 options? wolf lake?

Sunday 10/22 options? wolf lake? 6 years 5 months ago #1

• Greg S
  • Strong Breeze
So any guesses on where and what times might be sailable tomorrow, Sunday? Sounds like wind and rain.

Sunday 10/22 options? wolf lake? 6 years 5 months ago #2

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
The key word is “rain “ :(

Sunday 10/22 options? wolf lake? 6 years 5 months ago #3

• Chris
  • Gale Force
Looks like the rain may not come till late morning/early afternoon, so early morning may be doable. If so, there should be at least a couple of us tomorrow morning at Greenwood. Had a great session there today. Guys out on 6.2s to 7.5s, and the weather was gorgeous. If the wind isn't up to par tomorrow morning and you have a SUP, there should be some doable waves tomorrow for SUPsurfing.

Sunday 10/22 options? wolf lake? 6 years 5 months ago #4

• Gerry
  • High Wind
Hi - been lurking on this forum for years, finally joined!

I live in Rogers Park (Chicago) and sail from Sherwin Ave, I launched for many years from Greenwood in Evanston til we moved here.

Anyway I saw you guys up North yesterday, we had 4 people out down here. It was a ton of fun on a 6.5 though there were some really big holes. Used the same setup on Wednesday afternoon which was similar - nice to get out twice in 4 days!!

Hope we get a few more.

Sunday 10/22 options? wolf lake? 6 years 5 months ago #5

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Hi, Gerry! Glad you took the time finally. I didn’t even know about your beach, what about a bunch of windsurfers launching there!

Sunday 10/22 options? wolf lake? 6 years 5 months ago #6

• Gerry
  • High Wind
Thanks Ady! The main reasons we are not a "spot" like Greenwood are lack of parking and some breakwalls that screw things up when its a big NE. There's really no reason to come here vs. Greenwood unless you live right here. There are about 5 guys who sail out of Sherwin on the Lake, which has a private (gated) beach and is a better launch than the beaches that are open to the public. I live in the condo building across the street from Sherwin on the Lake and launch from the public beach right at the end of Sherwin Ave, unless it's a big NE in which case they open the gate for me so I can launch from their beach - learned that one the hard way! We have 27 units and as of now I am the only windsurfer.

FYI it is also possible to launch from the public beach at the end of Jarvis, one block north of Sherwin. Parking is still tough but they do have a small lot and you might get lucky. Plus there are some breakwall "islands" that can screw things up depending on wind direction, but there is one guy who launches regularly from there. If you try to launch there between Memorial Day and Labor day you will probably get hassled by the lifeguard, but in Spring and Fall it's no problem. There are no lifeguards at the Sherwin Ave. beach so that can be used all summer.

If you are heading south on Sheridan road, take a left on Jarvis or Sherwin and you can check it out - but Greenwood is probably better.

Cheers,
Gerry
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds