Thursday, March 28, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: SSE Sunday

SSE Sunday 6 years 7 months ago #1

Is anyone planing on going somewhere to sail on Sunday? Looks a bit wet but windy/gusty. In Sheboygan I predict it's going to be quite gnarly on Lake Michigan and I'm not sure I want to go for a roller coaster ride with a weak knee. Can anyone recommend a good spot in SSE conditions that isn't too bumpy between Milwaukee and Chicago?

SSE Sunday 6 years 7 months ago #2

• Jake
  • High Wind
Hi Gregory,

I've been watching the forecast and am hoping to sail near Sheboygan. A friend of mine has launched south of Blue Harbor (High Avenue beach, I believe), but I've never launched there on a SSE. If it's too south for that launch, I was thinking of trying Kohler Andrae. I've sailed from Kohler Andrae before. The shorebreak was pretty a little rough the last time I was there, but it's otherwise ok.

I know this isn't exactly what you were looking for, but I'd like to sail on the big lake since the swell will be 4-6 feet.

SSE Sunday 6 years 7 months ago #3

Greenwood beach in Evanston is nice with that direction. There's usually a fair number of windsurfers too. There's a pier that should give you some protection at the launch, and it's far enough south that the waves shouldn't be too big. I've only sailed there twice though, so I'll let the regulars on this forum give you more details.

SSE Sunday 6 years 7 months ago #4

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Probably lake Andrea-it doesn't get any flatter then that. Don't know how those storms and rain in the forecast will play out?!

SSE Sunday 6 years 7 months ago #5

• Greg S
  • Strong Breeze
If you are up in Wisconsin you might consider Silver Lake which should be good if direction is SSE. It is bigger than Lake Andrea. You'll need to pay fee to enter park and lake could be a bit weedy this time of year, but there is a big grassy area to rig..... Silver Lake is covered in other posts...

www.windsurfillinois.com/index.php/forum...s/200-silver-lake-wi

SSE Sunday 6 years 7 months ago #6

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Im a bit skeptical about Silver lake in S and especially SE wind. I recall that side of the lake is heavily wooded and the tree line will cast a long wind shadow in front of the launch. In the middle of the lake there might be boat traffic on Sunday. I haven't sail on this lake but I checked it once out of curiosity and remember only its W to SW side being wide open .

SSE Sunday 6 years 7 months ago #7

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I may actually go sailing tomorrow on Lake Andrea with a friend /another casualty of 2017/. If I don't like it I might check out the Southport beach-the small beach at the end of 75th st in Kenosha. Ive windsuped there once a few years back .

SSE Sunday 6 years 7 months ago #8

Thanks all for your suggestions. Let see what the weather will look like tomorrow.

Greenwood or lake Andrea sound pretty good. Where do you launch on lake Andrea? Ady, please let me know if you end up going to any of these.
Silver lake looks like an awesome place but if the wind is more south than SE, then the sailing area appears to be restricted to the top north end of the lake with about 5 to 6 hundred yards to go back and forth. Maybe that's good enough...

Jacob, Kohler Andre sounds like a good spot for some big swell. I was sailing for an hour today and was talking with the kites guys: If the forecast holds its promise, a pretty large number of kites from all over might show up in Sheboygan. There's even a possible plan for a downwinder from Kohler Andre to Sheboygan south beach (That's about 5-6 miles, and probably 2 or 3 times that distance sailing downwind). I would do it in 16-18 knots, but not in 25-30 knots!

SSE Sunday 6 years 7 months ago #9

Gregory wrote:
Where do you launch on lake Andrea?

It's on the Launches page(top menu). Lakes and their launches are in the side menu, click them or click their icon on the map.

Info about the Launches page
windsurfillinois.com/index.php/forum/admin/83-new-launches-page

SSE Sunday 6 years 7 months ago #10

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
It doesn't look any good, but correct me if i'm wrong.

SSE Sunday 6 years 7 months ago #11

Gusty and no more than 14-15 knots at best.
Big shore break on south beach.
I might get wet and launch the Lightwind board with a 8.5 on north beach just behind the jetty for an hour of semi-flat water sailing...

SSE Sunday 6 years 7 months ago #12

We had planing conditions and rather flat water for a couple of hours (8-10AM) in Holland, Michigan. I tore an old 7.5 out there.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds