Is anyone planing on going somewhere to sail on Sunday? Looks a bit wet but windy/gusty. In Sheboygan I predict it's going to be quite gnarly on Lake Michigan and I'm not sure I want to go for a roller coaster ride with a weak knee. Can anyone recommend a good spot in SSE conditions that isn't too bumpy between Milwaukee and Chicago?
I've been watching the forecast and am hoping to sail near Sheboygan. A friend of mine has launched south of Blue Harbor (High Avenue beach, I believe), but I've never launched there on a SSE. If it's too south for that launch, I was thinking of trying Kohler Andrae. I've sailed from Kohler Andrae before. The shorebreak was pretty a little rough the last time I was there, but it's otherwise ok.
I know this isn't exactly what you were looking for, but I'd like to sail on the big lake since the swell will be 4-6 feet.
Greenwood beach in Evanston is nice with that direction. There's usually a fair number of windsurfers too. There's a pier that should give you some protection at the launch, and it's far enough south that the waves shouldn't be too big. I've only sailed there twice though, so I'll let the regulars on this forum give you more details.
If you are up in Wisconsin you might consider Silver Lake which should be good if direction is SSE. It is bigger than Lake Andrea. You'll need to pay fee to enter park and lake could be a bit weedy this time of year, but there is a big grassy area to rig..... Silver Lake is covered in other posts...
Im a bit skeptical about Silver lake in S and especially SE wind. I recall that side of the lake is heavily wooded and the tree line will cast a long wind shadow in front of the launch. In the middle of the lake there might be boat traffic on Sunday. I haven't sail on this lake but I checked it once out of curiosity and remember only its W to SW side being wide open .
I may actually go sailing tomorrow on Lake Andrea with a friend /another casualty of 2017/. If I don't like it I might check out the Southport beach-the small beach at the end of 75th st in Kenosha. Ive windsuped there once a few years back .
Thanks all for your suggestions. Let see what the weather will look like tomorrow.
Greenwood or lake Andrea sound pretty good. Where do you launch on lake Andrea? Ady, please let me know if you end up going to any of these.
Silver lake looks like an awesome place but if the wind is more south than SE, then the sailing area appears to be restricted to the top north end of the lake with about 5 to 6 hundred yards to go back and forth. Maybe that's good enough...
Jacob, Kohler Andre sounds like a good spot for some big swell. I was sailing for an hour today and was talking with the kites guys: If the forecast holds its promise, a pretty large number of kites from all over might show up in Sheboygan. There's even a possible plan for a downwinder from Kohler Andre to Sheboygan south beach (That's about 5-6 miles, and probably 2 or 3 times that distance sailing downwind). I would do it in 16-18 knots, but not in 25-30 knots!
Gusty and no more than 14-15 knots at best.
Big shore break on south beach.
I might get wet and launch the Lightwind board with a 8.5 on north beach just behind the jetty for an hour of semi-flat water sailing...