Thursday, March 28, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: SW for Wednesday 07.12

SW for Wednesday 07.12 6 years 8 months ago #1

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I've been holding back for fear of jinxing it-windy days in the middle of summer are rare and precious-but now it looks like granted so time to post .
If the Sailflow forecast stays true I may be on my 5.2/94 tomorrow on Wolf :woohoo:
IMG_2072.png

SW for Wednesday 07.12 6 years 8 months ago #2

JINX!!! :huh:

SW for Wednesday 07.12 6 years 8 months ago #3

:)

SW for Wednesday 07.12 6 years 8 months ago #4

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Shush :angry:

SW for Wednesday 07.12 6 years 8 months ago #5

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I may have jinxed it after all. First I had to wait 2 hours for the rain to stop, then I took my Windsup out with the 5.2 and did a bit of a light wind freestyle practice. I finally figured out the Push Tack. I did it exactly the way it is supposed to be done planing -starting like a jibe; backwinnding the sail; weighing the tail and flipping the sail while the board turns in the new direction . I don't know why they teach weighing the nose in light wind to turn the board in the Tricktionary, maybe on freestyle boards is different.
There were some stronger gusts ones in a while and I decided to rig the 110/7.5 combo and try to get some planing. Meanwhile Brian and his wife Ella showed up and we sailed together for a while but all I got were 3 shortish planing runs until I finally gave up,took out the paddle and did a good paddling workout . All said and done the day wasn't completely wasted on me . The Windsup saved it again!

SW for Wednesday 07.12 6 years 8 months ago #6

Yep, the rain messed things up. I wanted to go earlier in the morning but that didn't happen. I tried to get there just after 12 but but got stopped in traffic. Accident just north of 159th and I got stuck just north of I 80 on 94. If I'd known I couldn't stayed on 80 and got off at Calumet. I usually take 94 to 130th and head east (hmmm, "Head East" anyone remember that band?) from there. So by the time I got to 159th I decided to bail on the mission and return to the cave since I had to be back later afternoon. At least you got some TOW to work on your Push Tack. On low wind days I'm going to try to work on tack and gybes. I like that helitack, I saw a few people doing it in Bonaire.

SW for Wednesday 07.12 6 years 8 months ago #7

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
There is a Heli Tack for you:
www.windsurfillinois.com/index.php/video...ck-converse-revo-5-2
From google search:
IMG_2073.png

From my own experience those light wind days on glossy flat Lake Andrea are perfect to practice moves. I'm using a 5.2 and 9' Converse sup , but any big board and a smallish sail will do the job, although the flat padded deck of a sup is hard to beat. I never stop wondering why people put giant sails and do nothing but slog back and forth. Its a waste of time when there is 0 chance of planing-they don't improve any skills, no workout and it is extremely boring on top of that!

SW for Wednesday 07.12 6 years 8 months ago #8

Ady, what range of wind do you typically look for on these days? and how critical is the wind direction ( at Andrea & Wolf ) since planing across the lake is not the intent. Although I can see how surrounding shoreline conditions could be tricky to get off shore as well as making your way back to the launch (or relatively close) as slow and long as it may take. Have you done any of this at Wolf? or just Lake Andrea? I do like the park setting and area at Lake Andrea,

SW for Wednesday 07.12 6 years 8 months ago #9

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Well, I don't typically go sailing just to do light wind stuff. My priority /like everyone's/ is planing and only if that's out of question /like on Wednesday/ I rig my windsup and 5.2 then . I load the Windsup together with my planing boards when the weather is iffy and there is a chance to get skunked. The 5.2 I have with me always when I go sailing btw -it is my favorite do everything sail.
My Lake Andrea sessions are rather unique, because I go there usually with a picnic in mind /wife, friends etc./ and those are typically nice, warm weather days with little to no wind. I always take my windsup/ 5.2 then, because I get bored easily on the beach. On good windy days without wife, dog or friends in tow, I wouldn't go to Andrea because the wind is too gusty there / too much trees around/.
Both Wolf and Andrea work best on S , SW and W days. Other wind directions may work to some extent except E for Wolf and N for Andrea which will be offshore and it will suck to have to walk your kit around half the lake if you can't sail back. Little bit of walking is fine now and then, but long walks best be avoided.
In your specific case all you have to do is have all your sails with you when you go windsurfing and upon realizing that the wind is not enough to get planing even with your biggest sail you may want to switch to a smaller 5ish sail and put a smaller fin so you don't damage your big one in the shallows and do the freestyle stuff if you feel like it.
In a nutshell the light wind freestyle is my alternative for when I get skunked or bored on the beach and I don't just go home like many would do in the former case, because I want to have a workout too and this is a good way to do one especially when I combine it with paddling.
I hope this answers your questions somewhat!

SW for Wednesday 07.12 6 years 8 months ago #10

I understand planing is the goal, but for me at this point I'll take and enjoy a whole day to practice foot position and sail technique for gybes and tacks (lord knows I need it!). Especially if that's the only wind I can get while waiting for a planing day. So what range of wind works for you and your windsup and 5.2 (min. & max)?
Thanks!

SW for Wednesday 07.12 6 years 8 months ago #11

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
5-15 mph is about right
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds