Thursday, March 28, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: Freak Accident. Big thanks to Alan for rescue me

Freak Accident. Big thanks to Alan for rescue me 6 years 9 months ago #1

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
Today, trying to do a duck jibe in Wolf Lake close to the marina on the far side, I lost control and hit the boom pretty hard, breaking 2 ribs and a possible 3rd. I'm not sure how it happened, but I remember coming fast into the turn, probably a little over power. I was knocked down right away without breath, and unable to move for several minutes. Luckily for me, Alan was near me and right away came over to see what was going on. As soon he realized I was in bad shape, he started to help me to reach the shore. Good thing we were in the shallow area close to islands where kiters go and he was able to drag both boards, while I, with a lot difficulty stopping several times to catch my breath, walk to nearest shore.

I feel that if was not for Alan, who knows how long I would have been there waiting for someone to help me, because during all that time not one windsurfer of kiter got closer to us. I hope it was just a coincidence, and not people trying to avoid getting involved because they were having way too much fun. Windsurfing in flat water for the most part, in my opinion, is pretty safe, but that does not mean that accident could happen, and it is the responsibility and the right thing to do, to watch for each other. I have no doubt that if this had happened in deep waters, and somehow I got detached from my gear, I'd have drowned almost immediately.

So, the next time you see someone in the same spot for too long, don't wait for someone else to check on that person, do it yourself. You may save a life.
Sincerely,
Manuel

Freak Accident. Big thanks to Alan for rescue me 6 years 9 months ago #2

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
Life jackets not only keep you safe from drowning but help protect your ribs. Welcome to the cracked three ribs club.

Freak Accident. Big thanks to Alan for rescue me 6 years 9 months ago #3

• Chris
  • Gale Force
So sorry to hear that, Manuel! And, yes, Alan is the man.

Wishing you a quick recovery.

Freak Accident. Big thanks to Alan for rescue me 6 years 9 months ago #4

Manuel, et-al....
The wind was blowing 19-25 mph off North Myrtle Beach, SC. Yep., the Atlantic..

I went out overpowered on my 6.3 just in case the wind softened. All was good, having gotten through the surf zone into the swell region about 2 miles out (the swells were higher than my mast). One of those swell tops broke over the nose of my board in effect pearling it to a sudden stop. This led to phase two of the full blown arrest from being on a full plane, hooked in, and in the straps. Yep, the catapult !!!

This one, however, was slightly violent. I got snapped around a full 360 degrees and landed up against my mast on my back. I remember my arms being uncontrollably outstretched above my head when I hit the mast with my side/back just about one inch below my (padded) life vest and thinking, if the hit was just two inches higher.... A quick water start, with pain marking each breath, and I was again on a reach out to sea. I needed to go out aways to enable a single tack back up the shore-line, against the side-shore current, to my launch point. Every bump along the way back to shore felt like someone driving their thumb into the same spot of my lower right rib cage. The worst part of this wonderfully windy, sunny, day (and the next three) was not being able to sail. Phooey.............

I was summer time. This could not be happening. It was not fair. How can one justify a beer if one can't work it off being extremely physical. Not to mention the withdrawal from not having endorphin's. Argghh........... I kept hoping the rib wasn't cracked? Maybe it was just badly bruised intercostal muscles? The X-Ray showed a cracked 9th rib.

Several years later, in retrospect. I still wear my life jacket. In addition to bobbing, it's kinda nice to help push the head of the sail out of the water doing water starts.

Freak Accident. Big thanks to Alan for rescue me 6 years 9 months ago #5

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Now this absolutely sucks, period! What's going on , a curse or something?! If it keeps like that there will be non of the old Wolf regulars sailing. Brian is out /unrelated accident/, Roman is out-broken arm by a boat, me yesterday-very close, but I'll be fine in a week I hope/ almost broke a rob there a couple of months ago/ and now Manuel!!!
I'm very sorry for what happened to you Manuel and I know ftom my own experience that it will hurt badly for a long time /broke ribs twice on my left side/. Once it starts to weather away though you can start sailing again in lighter winds using a SEAT harness. The waist harness pushes into the ribs too much but seat is fine, that's why I keep mine although I stopped using it a while ago. Hope to see you soon!

Freak Accident. Big thanks to Alan for rescue me 6 years 9 months ago #6

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
Hi Chris,
How long before you were able to sail again?

Freak Accident. Big thanks to Alan for rescue me 6 years 9 months ago #7

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
Hi Ady,
I remember you using a vest that you like very much. What kind is it?

Freak Accident. Big thanks to Alan for rescue me 6 years 9 months ago #8

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Manuel wrote:
Hi Ady,
I remember you using a vest that you like very much. What kind is it?
You remember wrong my friend, I hate the vest. It adds weight and hampers your movements even farther, as though the wetsuit is not enough :( The necessary evil.
Mine is Dakine and I DON'T like it, because it is tight and the padding is placed horizontal so the boom can still hit you between the pads.
IMG_2015.jpg

I would recommend you the ION Vector wich has vertical pads and is probably a better quality then Dakine anyway.

IMG_2013.jpg

Google for deals on the ION , I think I saw it for just over 100$ somewhere, but maybe limited sizes.

Freak Accident. Big thanks to Alan for rescue me 6 years 9 months ago #9

The WOLF STRIKES AGAIN! If the water quality doesn't get you, then your equipment will......... :)

Manuel- glad I could help! Now we just got to fix that sail of yours............

The good news for 'the injured' , is bad news for the 'rest of us', and that is.......there is no wind or waves forecasted for this week so you won't miss out on anything!

Freak Accident. Big thanks to Alan for rescue me 6 years 9 months ago #10

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
Who pissed off the one eyed gypsy witch living in the woods?

Freak Accident. Big thanks to Alan for rescue me 6 years 9 months ago #11

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
I was only out for a couple weeks, I have high pain tolerance and use a seat harness all the time anyway. I hardly ever take pain pills, I feel it will takes longer to heal if you do because that pain is telling you your limits, if you block the pain you may cause further harm. , I heal pretty quickly as well. Breath shallow, and try to find some position you can tolerate at night and get sleep. oh, and broken ribs don't like life jackets. Hope you have speedy recovery, what doesn't kill us ........

Freak Accident. Big thanks to Alan for rescue me 6 years 9 months ago #12

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
Alan, thanks so much again.
I didn´t realize I broke the sail. I guess I had other things to worry about it. Was it a lot?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds