Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Chicago Crib reading vs shore wind

Chicago Crib reading vs shore wind 6 years 11 months ago #1

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
There seems to be a big difference in wind speed between NOAA Chi station and the actual wind by the beach. Here in 63rd looks more like 5 to 15 knots vs the 20 to 30 knots readings from the NOAA station in Chicago for early today and yesterday.

Chicago Crib reading vs shore wind 6 years 11 months ago #2

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Also the wind direction! If the 63 st beach sensor is correct you should be getting a nice clean wind there. On the other hand if the Calumet harbor sensor is the correct one then you are in a deep wind shadow.
IMG_1955.png

Chicago Crib reading vs shore wind 6 years 11 months ago #3

I sailed montrose on friday, and greenwood on saturday, and the crib reading was accurate for both these spots (for these particular days). This morning at greenwood, we were on 5.0-5.7m sails, and crib was reading 25-30kn. Great sailing at greenwood today BTW, sunny and smallish shorebreak. Maybe 5 sailors out today. Cold though....

Chicago Crib reading vs shore wind 6 years 11 months ago #4

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Next week looks depressing :(
It could be a good time to test a Falcon light wind board if you have one ;)
For the rest of us if you are going for Suping/Windsuping any day after Wednesday please give me a shout, I will be glad to join. And do you use Surfline for wave hight reports and forcast ? Surfline- Surf Reports, Live Beach Cams, Forecasts by Surfline/Wavetrak
appsto.re/us/qnkEx.i
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds