Friday, March 29, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: N for Fri and Sat

N for Fri and Sat 6 years 10 months ago #1

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Looks big , unfortunately cold. Where are you guys hitting? I'm not decided yet, but I'm leaning Sat it seems and anywhere but the Wall. Anybody up for Rainbow beach?!

N for Fri and Sat 6 years 10 months ago #2

yeah, low 40's (thats not including the wind chill!) is not exciting for windsurfing (for me atleast). NE is tough, as wind is almost straight onshore at our usual spots. it all depends on exact wind direction NNE, ENE, etc...likely greenwood will be the spot, but it is a very difficult launch on NNE as the steel breakwall is downwind and so you usually only have 1 attempt to get out of the shorebreak as the current takes you to the breakwall pretty quick.

Regarding 'The Wall', are you no longer sailing that spot?

N for Fri and Sat 6 years 10 months ago #3

For my part, I will be sailing Friday between 11 and 1pm in Sheboygan, WI, South Beach, near the Bleu Harbor Resort. Then I'll go back to the office, likely with crazy hair. :silly:

FullSizeRender_2017-05-04.jpg

IMG_0517.png

N for Fri and Sat 6 years 10 months ago #4

Looks like a great spot; tucked in, in the shadow of 'the elbow' (the beloved surf break dubbed 'the malibu of the midwest'. On a big north, it would seem the shorebreak is minimul due to the wall just north of the resort.

I supsurf sheboygan every chance i get, when there is S or SE swell. I think the last time I was there was in mid march. I love the elbow! Lots of aloha in sheboygan

N for Fri and Sat 6 years 10 months ago #5

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Btw this is a good occasion for a trip to Sheboygan, it looks like it may be warmer up there! Unfortunately I need to do some chores first thing in the morning and then it will be too late for a long drive.
Alan I'm just bored from flat water sailing and I have enough of that at Wolf anyway, so I'd like to replace the Wall with something more wavier when the conditions allow.

N for Fri and Sat 6 years 10 months ago #6

Exactly : by NNE winds, this place is the best of both world: minimal shore break for an easy launch with flat water sailing along the pier and big swell past the pier going east. Actually, SE is also pretty good with nice swell and usually warmer temp. Launch is then best on the south side of tha beach. Aloha !

N for Fri and Sat 6 years 10 months ago #7

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Ha, just drove by the first "How do you Sheboygan " billboard for the season along I294. Three dudes on surboards waiting for their turn. Its a good question, which I haven't answered for myself yet.

N for Fri and Sat 6 years 10 months ago #8

• Chris
  • Gale Force
Greg - that looks like a great spot up there. Hope to join you one of these days!

Ady- if you're bored of flat-water sailing, just want to put in a plug for a good all-around windsup. There are some great deals right now at Liquid Surf and Sail on Fanatic SUPs, all of which come with mast inserts. There is no shipping or tax on most of these boards. I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed my 11'8" Exocet windsup and 10'6" Naish Nalu SUP. The former allows me me to wavesail in 1-3 foot waves with as little as 10-15 mph winds. When the conditions are right, I find this more fun than flat-water sailing. When the wind is below 10 mph or not the right direction for wave-sailing, I go to the 10'6" Nalu for paddlesurfing. Again, this can be tons of fun and challenging, too. Between these two activities (light-wind wavesailing and paddlesurfing) I have easily doubled my time on the water. For a board that can do both, I imagine that the Fanatic Fly in the 10'6" size (or even 9'6" or 11'2") would be a great way to go.

N for Fri and Sat 6 years 10 months ago #9

The Fly 10'6" is indeed an AWESOME "WindSUP" board. I've had mine for about five years and spent several sessions riding waves at St Joe, South Haven and up north at Little Sable Point. I find it perfect with a 5.5 ~ 5.8 wave sail (Hot SuperFreaks in my case). Don't bother with straps or a harness, go naked :cheer:

I never go to the big lake without my Fly or the Evo 92. If there's no wind I paddle, if there's some wind I ride the Fly with the 5.8 and if it starts to blow I rig the Evo.

Drew

N for Fri and Sat 6 years 10 months ago #10

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Chris wrote:
Greg - that looks like a great spot up there. Hope to join you one of these days!

Ady- if you're bored of flat-water sailing, just want to put in a plug for a good all-around windsup. There are some great deals right now at Liquid Surf and Sail on Fanatic SUPs, all of which come with mast inserts. There is no shipping or tax on most of these boards. I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed my 11'8" Exocet windsup and 10'6" Naish Nalu SUP. The former allows me me to wavesail in 1-3 foot waves with as little as 10-15 mph winds. When the conditions are right, I find this more fun than flat-water sailing. When the wind is below 10 mph or not the right direction for wave-sailing, I go to the 10'6" Nalu for paddlesurfing. Again, this can be tons of fun and challenging, too. Between these two activities (light-wind wavesailing and paddlesurfing) I have easily doubled my time on the water. For a board that can do both, I imagine that the Fanatic Fly in the 10'6" size (or even 9'6" or 11'2") would be a great way to go.
No Starboard?? :ohmy:
Just kidding. You probably forgot, but I have a Windsup -Starboard Converse 9'/30". It is a try-fin wave model, relatively small at 9' length with added mast track. I just hardly use it, because I have a flexible work schedule and windsurf only when it's windy and didn't sail on Lake Michigan anyway. This year will be different now that I have a good FSW board, I may start sailing in waves more then before and Ill have Converse in my car always in case I get skunked.
IMG_0939.jpg

The latest Converse has all the bells and whistles: mast track; footstrap holes; quad and single fin slots!

IMG_1954.png

N for Fri and Sat 6 years 10 months ago #11

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I intended to sail at Rainbow today, but when I got there 13:45 or so it was cloudy and only 43F . The prospect of being washed around in these temperatures didn't exactly get me excited so I went to Wolf instead where I had a decent 2 hrs with my 5.2/94 all by myself . The 5.2 is shaping to be my favorite sail for this board, but I guess it is not so much the sail but the conditions-20 to 30 mph is just great wind range.

N for Fri and Sat 6 years 10 months ago #12

Ady wrote:
The latest Converse has all the bells and whistles: mast track; footstrap holes; quad and single fin slots!

Got to try one of these windsup board one day. Looks like an old Windsurfer a meter shorter and 10kg lighter! :lol:

Yesterday: came in a bit late at 11am and the wind was a tad too north (shadow for the first 100 yards due to hotel building). Big swell out... Sailed 45min with the 6.5, folded and headed back to work. For once, there was more windsurf than kites (5/3)!

Today: Same place. Wind forecast NNE 16-19 knots, gust 24. Temp. 50-ish. Water still colder than your tap! Brrrr.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds