Friday, April 19, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Warm weekend

Warm weekend 7 years 2 months ago #1

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Anybody hitting the road specifically for windsurfing this extraordinarily warm weekend? I'm planing a trip to Carlyle Lake if nothing goes wrong. It supposed to be significantly windier and warmer there and it looks like the ice cover has been long gone.

Warm weekend 7 years 2 months ago #2

hope you get someone to carpool and share the gas. Are you thinking of staying overnight, or one loooong day? I've been supsurfing Lake Michigan all winter long, so I've been getting my 'water/wave ' fixes..........but you being primarily a windsurfer, you must be going through some heavy 'windsurfing withdrawal' about right now :) I know, I used to be the same way.

Warm weekend 7 years 2 months ago #3

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
alan schmid wrote:
I've been supsurfing Lake Michigan all winter long, so I've been getting my 'water/wave ' fixes......
Really?! You can stand the cold?!! Why don't you let me know when you go next time, I have a Windsup gathering dust in the garage and the withdrawal you mentioned is really taking a toll on me -so...willing to try anything at this point. I just didn't realize anyone I know is actually doing something and I don't have the balls to go out there by myself .

Warm weekend 7 years 2 months ago #4

ady, to clarify, i've been surfing my sup (no sail, just paddle). Haven't sailed (on water) since early december (sailed on land though, myskate sail, last week !).

The ice has been coming and going from our beaches, so access has been tough the last 2 weeks, i did catch some waves at greenwood couple days ago, there was some slush in the water.

My winter suit is 6/5 hooded with 6 mil booties, 5-6 mil gloves. Sunshine helps too. I change in/out of the suit , in my heated suv

I was out last week in 25air, my sup deck kept icing up when i took a break

i'm not the only one; maybe a dozen or so winter surfers around here

Warm weekend 7 years 2 months ago #5

btw- i am generarly far more warm paddle surfing in jan, than windsurfing in december. Your arms are raised when wsing, holding on to the boom, and the blood flows from your hands and they get cold fast-no matter how thick/thin the gloves, and even when not gripping the boom hard. when supsurfing, my body moves a lot more than wsing, and the arms are getting moved/pumping so everything is circulating more, and I stay warm .

Warm weekend 7 years 2 months ago #6

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Sounds good. Im interested. Give me a shout next time .

Warm weekend 7 years 2 months ago #7

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Following up on our conversation-I just came upon this picture from the Google maps collection of Whiting beach front park images showing the lineup. So no excuse for me-this hardcore guys are ripping while I'm whining.
IMG_1831.png

Warm weekend 7 years 2 months ago #8

yup, that is a well known surf spot (nickname is shooters). It is only a 8 minute drive from wolf lake! . Winds (15kn or more) need to be coming from NW,N,NE for at least 6 hours to create waves there. BTW, you need to be experienced handling /surfing your SUP when others (surfers or supsurfers) are around, as you can really hurt somebody with your board. We went out yesterday at greenwood for a couple hours to surf some anklebiters (aka small waves) :)
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds