Friday, April 19, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: 87th Street break wall on NE tomorrow?

87th Street break wall on NE tomorrow? 7 years 5 months ago #1

• Albert
  • Fresh Breeze
I have never sailed "the Wall" yet. Does it work on a NE and is anyone planning on sailing there tomorrow? I wanted to give it a try but I heard both parking and launch are tricky there. I wouldn't mind having a company if I end up going there.

Thanks!

87th Street break wall on NE tomorrow? 7 years 5 months ago #2

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Albert, the last time I launched from the 87th I decided it will be my final. Too much damage to the equipment for my taste and too much E in the wind direction creates a lot of chop and makes the ride bumpy and unpleasant . I launch from the boat ramps in Calumet park /95th St/- its a long way to the corner where the wall starts and sometimes when Im underpowered I can't even get there but at least my equipment is safe from the cuts and scratches it got every time when launching from 87th.
Im not sailing tomorrow, but the next time when its NE I wil try Waukegan.

87th Street break wall on NE tomorrow? 7 years 5 months ago #3

• Albert
  • Fresh Breeze
Ady, thank you for your feedback. I'm glad I asked.

87th Street break wall on NE tomorrow? 7 years 5 months ago #4

Parking is easy, as long the gate is open. Cops used to come around and didn't really like when people parked in the cul-de-sac. A lot of guys leave their cars parked there anyway. I always just unload there and then park in one of the many diagonal spots along the 87th street. You will have to launch from Calumet park if the gate is closed.

If you follow the path from the cul-de-sac straight to the lake, you'll get to the place where most people get out of the water. It's behind a guardrail and no trespassing sign (I think that's what it says :) Upwind from there, maybe 40ft away, is concrete slab where most guys launch from. Launching is very easy. If there's a wind by the shore, you can just set your board on the water, step on and sail away. In case of no wind by the shore, you'll have to throw your board and sail in the water, swim 20-30 ft and water start.

Getting out of the water is trickier. I bet that's when Ady damaged his equipment. I always:
1. detach the sail from the board (the water is about waist deep)
2. set the board on the concrete, the tail of the board and fin over the concrete edge
3. lift the sail out of the water and set it on the concrete
4. climb up the concrete and carry the board and sail up over the guardrail separately (remember it's not the same spot you launched from)

All of this is a lot easier if you talk to the guys before hand and agree to get out of the water at the same time. That way, one can climb up the concrete and the others will hand him all the boards and sails one by one.

Hope that helps.

87th Street break wall on NE tomorrow? 7 years 5 months ago #5

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
I don't like that place at all. I stopped by once, and just by looking you know the launch would be a pain in the ass. Beside, I like bump and jump and riding waves. So for flat water, Wolf is enough for me.
If you don't mind small waves, 2' to 6', I think 63rd st beach is not too bad. Also, specially during cold weather season, I feel pretty safe riding there. The wind is mostly on shore, and the beach is between two jetties. If anything happen, the wind and the waves will bush you back to the beach, as long you're between the jetties. For me there is no need to go beyond the jetties when I'm riding waves. It works just like Montrose but smaller, and in my opinion, less of a washing machine when wavy.
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds