Thursday, March 28, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: 87th vs. 95th vs.Hammond on a N or NE?

87th vs. 95th vs.Hammond on a N or NE? 7 years 6 months ago #1

• Chris
  • Gale Force
Had a good sail at Wolf today -- it was only my second time there. A little gusty, but it surely beats Lake Michigan on a straight W. There were 7-10 other sailors out, and one kiter. Good to see José, Ady, and Brian G, among others.

Right now, Thursday is looking like a big NNE (25+). I usually sail Greenwood on a NE, but I'm intrigued about the prospect of sailing flatter water near the 87th breakwall. So I'm wondering if folks can share some wisdom on the pros/cons of sailing N, NNE, or NE from 87th (the Wall), 95th (Calumet Park), and Hammond Beach. The Windsurf Illinois website gives the following info.:

87th - Best wind: NNW, N, NNE Other wind: NE, ENE, E
95th - (There is currently no information for this location)
Hammond - Best wind: N Other wind: NNE

What are the pros and cons of these places, how easy are the launches, and are there restrooms (besides the usual trees and bushes)?

Ady, if you see this, I'm especially curious how you assess the differences between 87th and 95th, since you mentioned the latter to me today.

Hoping the forecast holds for Thursday!

87th vs. 95th vs.Hammond on a N or NE? 7 years 6 months ago #2

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Chris, great sailing with you today on Wolf! Concerning 95th St and 87th St: the connection between them is that you aim to end up sailing in the same place - along the Wall. The 87th St launch is very tricky and you can damage your equipment on the rocks during the return climb and no restrooms, otherwise you are right next to the Wall. The 95th St has a better launch out of the northern most ramp and restrooms nearby. The downside is that it is some distance from the Wall and you have to grind upwind thru the chop to get there and your way back is downwind thru the chop again. I used to launch from the 95th then switched to 85th for the close proximity, but after some bruises on my sails and boards I switched back to 95th.

87th vs. 95th vs.Hammond on a N or NE? 7 years 6 months ago #3

• Chris
  • Gale Force
Thanks, Ady. That's all good to know. One other question re: 95th.... what would you say are the "Best wind" and "Other wind" conditions for that launch? It looks like the breakwall in front of the northernmost boat ramp could make getting out and getting back in kind of tricky in some wind directions.
95th.png

87th vs. 95th vs.Hammond on a N or NE? 7 years 6 months ago #4

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
If you feel that a little bit of swim sometimes is too much of a work you can just jump with your kit from the stone steps farther N of the ramps. Btw the platform that separates the ramp in two is gone and now it is much more spacious.
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds