Thursday, April 18, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: Waukegan tomorrow?

Waukegan tomorrow? 7 years 7 months ago #1

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
I heard that Waukegan is good with s-sw wind, with small chops perfect for bump and jump. I went there once, but the wind wasn't that great and it was a long walk from the parking lot (North Beach Park) to the beach carrying my windsurf gear. I don't mind the walk as long there is wind to have some fun.
I would like to give it try tomorrow, but I don't want to be by myself.

Is there anyone out there thinking about going to Waukegan tomorrow? Let me know

Waukegan tomorrow? 7 years 7 months ago #2

• Chris
  • Gale Force
HI Manuel,
I'll be sailing Greenwood midday tomorrow if you'd like to join me there. I imagine there may be some other folks out there as well. If it's straight south, Greenwood isn't bad -- you just need a board floaty enough to get past the breakwall. If it comes in more SW, though, it's a longer schlog out to the windline.

Chris

Waukegan tomorrow? 7 years 7 months ago #3

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Why driving all the way to Waukegan, when Calumet park is next door?! Works in any direction except W; WNW; WSW. The old power plant south of the park has been demolished last year and now there is no obstructions for the S winds. B&J heaven! Free parking, grass rigging area and easy launch from the northern most boat ramp.
image_2016-08-23.png

Waukegan tomorrow? 7 years 7 months ago #4

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
Hi Chris,
Thanks for the offer, but I think I going to pass. Before my post, the forecast yesterday morning was for a windy day (20-30 knots) all day until around 4. As it is right now, that has changed substantially with average winds diminishing to 15 knots and starting to shift west by 1pm. Unfortunately for me I won't be able to go out until around noon. if it turns out to be windy and coming form the south, I may give Calumet Park a try since I never been there.
How much do you have to pay in the summer to launch from Greenwood?

Waukegan tomorrow? 7 years 7 months ago #5

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
Hi Ady,
I don't mind driving to Waukegan if I have the time and the conditions will be perfect, for me of course, but it turns out that the conditions won't be perfect.
I have never been in Calumet Park. How bad are the rocks next to the parking lot from where you launch? Is it easy to walk on them carrying your gear barefoot or do need booties?

Waukegan tomorrow? 7 years 7 months ago #6

• Chris
  • Gale Force
Hi Manuel,
The season pass for non-residents at Greenwood is $230, but there's plenty of public parking nearby, esp. on the off months, just north of the launch on Greenwood St. or the adjacent Sheridan Road to the north. (Passes are for parking on what the map lists here as "Lakeshore Blvd", which is really just a bike path and a gravel road for parking.) Folks who don't have passes will sometimes unload their gear in the rigging area (the grassy spot just to the west of the gravel road/Lakeshore Blvd) and then re-park on Greenwood or Sheridan. I believe the official last day of the season is Oct 31.

Ady, thanks for the info. on Calumet. (Would this also be considered 95th St.?) Reid, perhaps this could be added to the Launches list?

Have a good sail!

GreenwoodLaunch.png

Waukegan tomorrow? 7 years 7 months ago #7

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
The Steelworkers park /87th St/ has rocky shore, Calumet park /95th St/ is sand and concrete boat ramps.
Beware the nice, summer weekends! It gets crowded with barbecuing locals who launch jet-skis from the ramp. I never had any problems with them, but if you are first timer you may get intimidated. Its almost deserted on week days or bad weather/off season weekends.
On your way back stop at the Calumet Fisheries-a legendary fish smoking shack on the west side of the 95th St bridge. Try the fried Smelts and Catfish or buy a pound or two of the smoked jumbo shrimps or a range of smoked fish! Its a bit expensive and they accept only cash, but it is worth every penny. Dont forget the awesome homemade sauce aswell!!

Waukegan tomorrow? 7 years 7 months ago #8

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
Well, so much for the always reliable windfinder forecast, or any forecast for that matter. It looks that only thing related to windsurf to do todays is to watch youtube videos and dream about living in Maui.
Chris, thanks for the info.
Ady, looking at the pictures in google earth, it looks like there is a breakwater wall right next to the beach that you mentioned, the one next to the ramp that is next to the round parking lot. It seems to me that if you launch from the beach you will have to swim south (is the wind is coming from the south) with your board, pass the ramp to go around the wall. Is that sound right?
Hey, do you could get intimidated by the jet skies or by was going on in the parking lot? Go to the parking lot in 63rd st. any nice day of the week during the summer after 4pm if you want to feel a little intimidated. I think a paid my dues in that respect.
I will make sure I bring a stash of cash and my entourage to get some awesome shrimps.

Wait a minute! It looks like the wind is picking up. Maybe there's hope. Cross your fingers

Waukegan tomorrow? 7 years 7 months ago #9

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
There is 5-10 m swim to clear that wall if the wind is not enough to sail right away, not a biggie. The floating platform that separated the ramp in 2 disappeared last winter-a storm took it or something and now it became an awesome wide launching pad with a little wooden part of a ramp in the middle to place your board while carring your rig to the water. I couldnt have set it up better if I had designed it :)
IWindsurf shows 8-11 kts SSW at Calumet harbour with a picking up potential. Time to start the 1 hr drive to Wolf Lake! See you there!

Waukegan tomorrow? 7 years 7 months ago #10

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Maybe I should add that Calumet Park is no place fior beginners or even early intermediates. You need to be good at waterstarting to be able to have fun there! It is some distance from the Wall and swell and chop are significant.

Waukegan tomorrow? 7 years 7 months ago #11

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
Blowing from south. I think I'm going to calumet. I really want to do some bump and jump. I'lll be there in about an hour or so.

I learned to ride and jump waves in PR in a reef half mile from the shore. The only thing I don't like is the swimming part. Back in the day in PR the wind will die around 5-6pm. If you were not heading back before the wind die, you were guaranty a really nice workout swimming back with all your gear for a least 45 min. I had few of those workouts.

Waukegan tomorrow? 7 years 7 months ago #12

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
My only b&j board is 86L -to light today for that. A big freestyle biard would do the job perhaps.
Just arrived at Wolf. Feels safe and cozy here-like home :lol: My 7.5/110 kit rigs itself and waits for me on the shore -soo familiar :lol: :lol:
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds