Friday, March 29, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: North Ave & downtown Chicago

North Ave & downtown Chicago 7 years 10 months ago #1

Hey guys,

Another new windsurfer here. Took lessons last year at Northwestern and loved it. I live downtown, so been looking around to find more information on some downtown launch spots when I do get more experienced but can't find much. In the launch page, there is only 12th street. Anyone tried launching from North Ave? Chicago Park District says windsurfers can launch from the inner hook? Is the break water inhibiting a good launch, is that area not good in general?

Thanks!
Kevin

North Ave & downtown Chicago 7 years 10 months ago #2

I think surfers go there so I suppose it's legal. Nobody will bug you until the beach is open anyway. But the buildings are likely to make the wind pretty rough at least when you launch.

North Ave & downtown Chicago 7 years 10 months ago #3

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I would recommend you sailing at Woolf Lake in Hammond,IN. It is not that far and it will help you progress in friendly, safe environment with plenty of other windsurfers for asking questions. Works best for SE, S, SW, W, N winds and for learning to plane 15-25 kts is the perfect wind range, for non planing practice 5-15 kts is fine too.
The Chicago beaches are not very suitable for beginners IMHO.

North Ave & downtown Chicago 7 years 10 months ago #4

thanks for the tips. I'm guessing there are no rentals at Wolf Lake, saw some mention of a few in WI and MI on the forum but nothing else besides Northwestern would have boards to rent? When you guys go out surfing, do you carry more than 1 board, and is it a hassle to carry multiple boards? Thinking where I or anyone else could maybe rent from any one of you when you happen to be nearby windsurfing :)

North Ave & downtown Chicago 7 years 10 months ago #5

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Kevin Lee wrote:
thanks for the tips. I'm guessing there are no rentals at Wolf Lake, saw some mention of a few in WI and MI on the forum but nothing else besides Northwestern would have boards to rent? When you guys go out surfing, do you carry more than 1 board, and is it a hassle to carry multiple boards? Thinking where I or anyone else could maybe rent from any one of you when you happen to be nearby windsurfing :)
Most of us usually sell our beginner boards as soon as we progress to smaller ones, but someone might still have a big board gathering dust somewhere. Why dont you start a separate tread about renting in the "Windsurfing equipment" directory so it could be more visible? I'm sure you have your reasons for not wanting to buy a board and rig yet, but sooner or later you just have to , if you are serious about it.
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds