Thursday, April 18, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Evanston / Greenwood Beach in the Fall?

Evanston / Greenwood Beach in the Fall? 8 years 7 months ago #1

• Albert
  • Fresh Breeze
Does anyone know if windsurfing is allowed at Greenwood Beach in Evanston after Labor Day? I was hoping to go there this weekend. When I called the city of Evanston, I was told the beach is closed for the season and no one is allowed in the water.

If Greenwood is indeed closed, are there any other windsurfing friendly beaches on the big lake in the N suburbs that you recommend?

Thanks!
Albert

Evanston / Greenwood Beach in the Fall? 8 years 7 months ago #2

I would have a drive-by, I bet somebody will be sailing there. Another option is Gillson Beach in Wilmette if it's not too onshore.

Evanston / Greenwood Beach in the Fall? 8 years 7 months ago #3

Albert- Yes, yes , yes. You can sail at greenwood in the fall. We were out there today, maybe 13 sailors, 4 surfers, and 4 supsurfers. No lifeguards are on duty. You can park on the street (don't park in the small lot adjacent to the beach as it is permit parking only); the street parking is easy and lots of grass to rig on.

You need to be experienced to sail there though, as the shorebreak can be intimidating, and if you get pushed downwind on a northerly breeze, there are limited spots to land safely on shore. The lake is momentarily cold on our side- i wore a 6/5 today and was not overheated.

Montrose beach is also a great spot that we frequent, but shore break is generally bigger there. You will see kiters at this beach too. Great beach, lots of parking.

Saturday (tomorrow) will have a lot of sailors at greenwood.

Evanston / Greenwood Beach in the Fall? 8 years 7 months ago #4

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Labour Day should be the official Windsurfing Day too. All the beaches are now free from swimmers, lifeguards and fees until Memorial Day.
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds